The Question

Producers:  A1-Pictures, Aniplex

Genres: Action, Mecha, Sci-fi
Rating: R - 17 +
MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/22729/Aldnoah.Zero
Opening Theme #01: "Heavenly Blue" by Kalafina
Ending Theme #01: "I Said Cry" by aLIEz

SYNOPSIS
In 1972, the Apollo 17 mission found a hypergate to Mars on the surface of the moon. Upon landing, astronauts discovered an enchanted utility later referred to as "Aldnoah," giving the astronauts a status of superiority. Soon, many humans have relocated to Mars, and have adapted to the name "Martians." After Princess Asseylum, a royal Martian princess, descends onto Earth in an attempt to create a treaty between both planets, a war breaks out between Earth and Mars, and Martian soldiers begin to descend from the sky, riding steel giants, intent on exterminating humanity.

Personally, I loved it. It couldve done with a few more episodes to really flesh out the story but in terms of pure action, it was very entertaining. And of course, the soundtrack was godly xD

This is true, but I wish they'd at least fleshed out the main male protagonist's--see, I can't even remember his bloody name, but oh I can remember f******** Slain's name--, fleshed out the main male protagonist's character a little more. 

Even if he

gets killed in the end, at least it would've made his death more agreeable. It felt like his entire existence, this being a stand-alone anime, was to further the plot and yet it felt like they really wanted us to feel something during that crawling scene. I don't feel sorry for a cow's death; I feel sorry for its' reason for existence, and that is what he felt like, cattle born to be slaughtered, but they still wanted us to feel emotionally attached to him, which is ironic considering he's virtually emotionless as it is. Sorry, rant over.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

No substance is a little bit too subjective. I still wonder why it gets so much hate. I agree that is not memorable but Inaho and Slaine are like the prototypes of Natuto and Sasuke. This leads me to the idea why is Naruto not considered mediocre as well ? The amount of substance  is not that different although one is long running shonen and this is standalone.

• 1 year later...

Finally getting around to watching this and I'm about half-way through the first half. All I can really say is that Aldnoah.Zero so far just seems like an uninspiring off-name Gundam copy-cat. The base of the plot, the origins of the "Aldnoah" mobile suits, the two factions, the "newtypes", etc.. Absolutely every aspect of this show is pulled from Gundam and simply has a different name.

Only real issue keeping Aldnoah.Zero from being an excellent copycat is that none of the characters stand out in any way or are even the least bit interesting. No idea how it got so high rating on MAL... Guess people were starving for another Gundam series and this filled the void.

It has really nicely done CG that I can compliment it for, but the 2D animation and backgrounds often look really half-assed and cheesy af.