The "Hoo-Blah" About Destiny / Game Reviews

Mist

So, as many of you know, Destiny came out a few days ago, and users DESTROYED it in terms of reviews. You may have seen videos about this from people like ReviewTechUSA (shout out to my man, Rich!), and possibly have read some of the comments on sites like Metacritic yourself. Critics are giving the game generally favorable reviews, but the user reviews... That's another story. Many people seem upset that there is no PC port, and many are upset for... Well... What appears to be no reason other than the game wasn't flawless in every regard.

This ordinarily wouldn't be a problem, but we have people giving the game literally a zero out of ten. Why is this a problem? A zero would imply the game is worse than Duke Nukem Forever, that it's worse than E.T. on the Atari. Zero is generally reserved for if a game just flat out doesn't work, or if it does something so awful like... Glorify mass genocide and rape. Even Big Rigs got a few points, with as terrible as that game was. A zero is completely unjustified in many regards, and  even more so when you actually READ their reviews, most of which barely include enough details to even be considered a review.

Now, is Destiny a great game? I don't know. I've seen footage of it, it looks alright. I am hearing a lot of general legit complaints like the bosses are uncreative and tedious, and the story telling was pretty weak. See that's all valid stuff. I would say personally the game is worthy of at least a passable score.

Why did this happen though?

I have a theory: Bungie hyped the game to much. I mean they spent a long time developing this game, and they advertised it like it was the dawn of this new gaming generation for consoles, it was going to change the genre, and make everyone's genitals bigger. So yes, I do think the game was worthy of losing SOME points for that, because when you talk a big game and don't deliver, your final score should reflect that, but come on people, they delivered at least partially on their promise. There were a couple of cool new ideas in Destiny and a couple of things that were kind of ground breaking, but... Yes, the game ultimately was not some huge game changer that made us all orgasm on start up. I'd say the game is worthy of at least a 6-7 though, minimum, and that's without playing it. I am sure it's far better than that, but definitely not 9-10 levels.

Are gamers becoming unreasonable though? Should devs be a little more conscious of how and how much they hype a game? What do you guys think? I am very curious to hear other people's thoughts and opinions on this matter, just keep it tame and understand that I'm not attacking the game.

I too have heard the crisis that is known as Destiny gaming reviews. I must admit I am shocked to hear that most rate it a below average game. I would think like you stated that due to the massive hype (and I mean massive) the game didn't deliver on it being the best game in all the world. But do not get me wrong, Destiny is a great game that has hours of enjoyment, it has Next Gen graphics, great gameplay (not buggs from what I can see).

But in terms of Story ( have not finished Destiny fully yet to give my full opinion) so far it is a let down, sure it starts off interesting, but gets bland and dull as you go through, maybe this is due to it being like a MMO game, maybe the story just can't be that developed but who knows.

If I had to rate Destiny, it is not a 10 out of 10 game, but it is around a 7-9 out of 10. It will be a nine for me if the story picks up and if the there are better battles as I travel to the last few planets of the game.

Some say the game is short? So far I am spending ages on each planet I go to, to get the full enjoyment out of the game. It is only short if you make it short and rush through the game.

I think most people are becoming unreasonable nowadays. When something gets a low score, no pc port, losses in sales, ect, people usually ridicule it and take jokes and their behaviour too far, then it catches on in the media and there's no way to stop that stupidity.

Also, I've played a bit of Destiny, wasn't too bad, although I'm still around the beginning part. Probably the hardest bit for me was killing those "thrauls" in the dark and killing that "Wizard" alien

Edited by StaticX

Games are always improving and getting better, but if a game fails to grow as much as the gaming community expect then they classify it a crap game.

When playing games in today's world I try to remember back to my first gaming experiences, most being on the Nintendo 64. Those games where the best of there time but really they didn't have today's graphics or cool game features but they offered hours of entertainment and fun. Often people refer to those games being the best games they have ever played and no game today can compare to them.

In my opinion trying to compare the older aged games with today's modern age games is a stupid way to do it as they are of two different worlds in a way. The gaming community isn't the same as it was 10 years ago so there are a lot more critics who love different types of games. They don't assess games on what they are, they seem to focus more on all the bad points and make that the main focus of the game

To often have I seen bad reviews of games that I have bought and loved to play, really people need to stop listening to all these reviews and what others say about the game. If it is something you want love and want to play most likely you will love the game regardless of what others say.

The gaming world is forever changing and sooner or later the way gaming reviews are done will change too but I would suggest making up your own opinions on games rather than taking the word of someone else, who may not give a damn about the game itself.

Games are always improving and getting better, but if a game fails to grow as much as the gaming community expect then they classify it a crap game.

When playing games in today's world I try to remember back to my first gaming experiences, most being on the Nintendo 64. Those games where the best of there time but really they didn't have today's graphics or cool game features but they offered hours of entertainment and fun. Often people refer to those games being the best games they have ever played and no game today can compare to them.

In my opinion trying to compare the older aged games with today's modern age games is a stupid way to do it as they are of two different worlds in a way. The gaming community isn't the same as it was 10 years ago so there are a lot more critics who love different types of games. They don't assess games on what they are, they seem to focus more on all the bad points and make that the main focus of the game

To often have I seen bad reviews of games that I have bought and loved to play, really people need to stop listening to all these reviews and what others say about the game. If it is something you want love and want to play most likely you will love the game regardless of what others say.

The gaming world is forever changing and sooner or later the way gaming reviews are done will change too but I would suggest making up your own opinions on games rather than taking the word of someone else, who may not give a damn about the game itself.

I think the issue is that expectations have been bloated, and on top of this new "features" on consoles have spoiled gamers. In the older days, people were content that they had a cheaper solution to gaming in the form of consoles. When the SNES was at its prime, we were seeing PCs capable of emulating it in only a matter of 2-3 years. PCs were always regarded as the more powerful option, but people were okay with that.

Now though... People legitimately expect consoles to be more powerful than PCs. They expect the gap between consoles and PCs to be non-existent. The other problem, is other technologies are moving faster than game consoles. I was a kid growing up with the NES and the SNES, and back then, despite the system's graphics, they were capable of maxing the technology they NEEDED. Remember, TVs were 4:3 then, the resolution was not very high. The SNES could take advantage of the television sets flawlessly.

Nowadays though, we have 4K TVs, and consoles than can barely handle 1080p, most of which require using 720p, (even the "powerful" PS4 can't handle 1080p on all games). The online capabilities of consoles have improved... But not enough to where they are viable. The PS3 had a web browser, did anyone actually use it? No because by the time we got it, cellphones web browsers were already superior to it. Youtube on consoles (even my lovely Wii U) is still far behind.

The other problem I see... Is this desire to be PCs has as stated in one video I saw "caused consoles to catch up to PCs... But only in the worst respects." Installing games, DRM, and long updates... Basically consoles are like PCs now... If we eliminated only the benefits of the PC. As much as I still love consoles, I have to admit, if I have to install the game onto the hard drive, deal with DRM and long updates... I at least want to able to install mods.

Maybe the problem is that consoles are trying NOT to be consoles anymore, their ambition has pushed them too far, and thus the consumer expects more and more even when it's not realistic.

I chalk it up to stupidity and us having too much medical knowledge and not enough natural disasters to wipe them out.

If you look at the people ragging on Destiny, they're a very vocal minority and more people are buying and playing the game.

Look at Titanfall, people said they won't buy the game without singleplayer and that's the reason it failed but neglect to point out that like 80% of the people that buy COD or Battlefield pretty much only play the multiplayer.

People call games liek Destiny or Ground Zeroes short based off a single portion of the entire games yet herald Tell Tale's The Walking Dead and The Last of Us which are both short and offfer less content for replaying the same story mode again.

I chalk it up to stupidity and us having too much medical knowledge and not enough natural disasters to wipe them out.

If you look at the people ragging on Destiny, they're a very vocal minority and more people are buying and playing the game.

Look at Titanfall, people said they won't buy the game without singleplayer and that's the reason it failed but neglect to point out that like 80% of the people that buy COD or Battlefield pretty much only play the multiplayer.

People call games liek Destiny or Ground Zeroes short based off a single portion of the entire games yet herald Tell Tale's The Walking Dead and The Last of Us which are both short and offfer less content for replaying the same story mode again.

You're comparing different genres.

For a game like the TellTale series of adventure games, it's different than a FPS or a JRPG or a RTS or a 4X game.

Different genre, different expectations.

OT:

It's a FPS, from 'the halo guys', AND a MMO.

Yeah, pretty much killed my interest in it rather fast.

Which is bullshit. You pay a third of the price of Destiny for TWD and you get a tenth of the amount of gameplay. Free web games have more gameplay and replayability than TWD.

Except everyone loves that shit and gives it GOTY.

Again:

Adventure games have a different style of game play.

They're more focused on STORY.

Destiny is a generic FPS, but online.

From the makers of HALO.

A generic FPS, but WITH...UH, um...uh.

O, that's right, it had ONLINE multi-player.

Something console players hadn't really experienced before.

Typical FPS don't appeal to me nowdays. Destiny you almost made me spend money on you :P

I agree with Tanis, comparing Destiny and TWD won't get you anywhere. Destiny appeals to FPS gamers, TWD appeals to...... people who like adventures games I guess.

Activision + Bungie =  Generic FPS(MMO) game, how....... typical.