Xenoblade Chronicles Offered on New Nintendo 3DS

StaticX

Just when I was about to finally buy a 3DS, they announce this!! Now I have to wait! D:

You're looking at over a year wait and I'm really not excited for the auto-light adjusting or any of the other mediocre features. It depends on what exclusives get announced for it, don't care much for a game I can already play on my Wii.

Had my original 3DS stolen but that was roughly three months before the XL came out, so it wasn't really that bad of a thing to wait in my situation. If you're content on not playing any 3DS game until the new device come out, go for it.

That they call it a remake, and not a port, intrigues me as well. Is this Nintendo misusing the word remake, or are they actually going to add some new content to the game?

You're arguing semantics.

Kingdom Hearts 1 in the KH1.5 PS3 bundle is called a port but actually they had lost nearly all the assets of the original and had to remake the game from the ISO on the PS2 disc.

Nothing is a direct port, things usually have to be tweaked, added or majorly changed because all platforms are different.

That all said, they'll probably add new stuff like in Wind Waker HD.

I'm just thinking back to the history of gaming.

Remember when Sega was a RESPECTED hardware maker?

What happened?

O, that's right, 'upgrades' to a base software that ended up alinating a HUGE part of their fan base.

Either consoles makes should bring out a NEW piece of hardware, or leave it alone until they do.

None of this 'well, this game only works with the XL-v3.1b, and you have the LX+v3.1a' crap.

This isn't their first time doing this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD

Not to forget they also had the expansion pak for games like Donkey Kong 64 and the extra memory was needed for multiplayer in the N64 version of Starcraft.

This is also not their first time doing stuff like this with handhelds. The most recent case is the the DSi where some games had exclusive features and the eShop was only on this version of the DS. The first case was actually with their very first handheld; the GameBoy. Most GameBoy carts had a little notch in the upper corner which the original fat GameBoy would use the power button to lock the game into the system so it couldn't be removed while playing. The ability of the power button to keep the games in while on was removed with the GameBoy pocket which really isn't a feature but later on the GameBoy Color games were introduced that were only meant to be played on it and didn't have the notch slot as they weren't meant to be played on the original at all. Pokemon Crystal and Shantae are just two examples of Color exclusives.

Really, it's not us that should be getting mad but Nintendo investors. Poor advertising is what fucked them on both the 3DS and Wii U.

So apparently this New 3DS is still region locked -_-

Dear Nintendo, STOP REGION LOCKING!

They add region locking to cut down on sales from importers and still delay Smash in the US because of EU. I doubt that many people would import a US system just for Smash to begin with.

They add region locking to cut down on sales from importers and still delay Smash in the US because of EU. I doubt that many people would import a US system just for Smash to begin with.

I want to import games, region locking is stupid. PS4 is region free, PSV is region free, XBONE is region free, why can't the Wii U and 3DS be region free?

Region locking has no benefit. Piracy? People will always find a way around it.

Plus the thing you just mentioned is a shitty excuse they made to keep region locking.

Had my original 3DS stolen but that was roughly three months before the XL came out, so it wasn't really that bad of a thing to wait in my situation. If you're content on not playing any 3DS game until the new device come out, go for it.

You're looking at over a year wait and I'm really not excited for the auto-light adjusting or any of the other mediocre features. It depends on what exclusives get announced for it, don't care much for a game I can already play on my Wii.

So apparently this New 3DS is still region locked -_-

Dear Nintendo, STOP REGION LOCKING!

Well, I waited so long, that I really doesn't matter if I have to wait a bit more. Also, don't really care about the exclusive games. I just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles yesterday so I probably won't play it for the N3DS. Unless they release a game that really interests me, I probably won't even use the additional analog, but it´s still good to have in case they do.

I actually like the new features. It's faster, which I imagine would make a good diference, I'll probably use Amiibo, since I want to buy them and now I won't have to buy the extra accessory. The light auto-adjust will probably be optional and the 3D viewing from other angles will probably greatly improve 3D gameplay. Also, I really like the changing of the faceplates and they are going to make more options (although i wish the XL would've gotten it too).

While I do think that region locking isn't that big a deal (most people don't ever buy games from another region), I would've liked it to be region free, since I always wanted one of those special edition Japanese 3DSs and I would be able to play my NTSC-U games just fine.

Region locking has no benefit. Piracy? People will always find a way around it.

It's so they can track games sales more properly, so if a game does bad in the US/EU/JP/etc. they know not to release more of those games there or to perhaps change how they sell the game there.

Region free coding has nothing to with piracy. Piracy is when you get a system to run un-signed code.

Well, I waited so long, that I really doesn't matter if I have to wait a bit more. Also, don't really care about the exclusive games. I just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles yesterday so I probably won't play it for the N3DS. Unless they release a game that really interests me, I probably won't even use the additional analog, but it´s still good to have in case they do.

I actually like the new features. It's faster, which I imagine would make a good diference, I'll probably use Amiibo, since I want to buy them and now I won't have to buy the extra accessory. The light auto-adjust will probably be optional and the 3D viewing from other angles will probably greatly improve 3D gameplay. Also, I really like the changing of the faceplates and they are going to make more options (although i wish the XL would've gotten it too).

While I do think that region locking isn't that big a deal (most people don't ever buy games from another region), I would've liked it to be region free, since I always wanted one of those special edition Japanese 3DSs and I would be able to play my NTSC-U games just fine.

The analog is only used for a few games (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and KI: Uprising) but it looks super uncomfortable to use. You'd be better off getting the Super Pad Pro for the few games that use it or better yet map the buttons to function as a second stick for the Resident Evils/Uprising and just play Monster Hunter on the Wii U.

I say get a 3DS now (Smash is coming soon if you care about that) and then you can choose to "upgrade" in the future and have a backup 3DS if you need it or do a trade-in.

While you're right in that not many people import but it's annoying for those of us that do by having to buy a whole separate system.

Plenty of games never come to the west like the ones based on Gundam, Super Robot Wars or various other animes.

It's so they can track games sales more properly, so if a game does bad in the US/EU/JP/etc. they know not to release more of those games there or to perhaps change how they sell the game there.

Region free coding has nothing to with piracy. Piracy is when you get a system to run un-signed code.

That's a stupid reason. Another shitty excuse they make.

That whole piracy thing I was reading about why DVDs do it. And I never said it was the main reason. Iwata explained why they do it and it shows really how stupid Nintendo are for doing it.

I could've played Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright ages ago because it was released in Europe. But nooooooo, because of the stupid region locking I couldn't. So I had to wait.

You see the problem here?

My country sells both NTSC and PAL games BTW.

Yes I can see why it's so annoying to you. Having both PAL and NTSC available can be really frustrating when a game released to one county takes a while to go to another and you have the latter console! But then again, not many people have the same "oportunity" as you (i think), being quite troublesome to import games.

The analog is only used for a few games (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and KI: Uprising) but it looks super uncomfortable to use. You'd be better off getting the Super Pad Pro for the few games that use it or better yet map the buttons to function as a second stick for the Resident Evils/Uprising and just play Monster Hunter on the Wii U.

I say get a 3DS now (Smash is coming soon if you care about that) and then you can choose to "upgrade" in the future and have a backup 3DS if you need it or do a trade-in.

While you're right in that not many people import but it's annoying for those of us that do by having to buy a whole separate system.

Plenty of games never come to the west like the ones based on Gundam, Super Robot Wars or various other animes.

KI: uprising needs the extra analog?? Now i need it! :/ I rather not buy a super pad pro because like I said before, not really interested in the games that actually need it (except for KI, which I did not know).

While I do want to play smash, I would prefer to wait for the N3DS because upgrading in the future like you suggested is very hard for me! ): (I live in brazil so prices aren't good and I would have to buy it from another country, like the US, where I don't go to a lot).

Yes, for those that do import I agree that it is very annoying. While it's only a small percentage of people that really do import, I still believe they should just make it region free. I mean every other console is, so it only makes sense.

being quite troublesome to import games.

KI: uprising needs the extra analog?? Now i need it! :/ I rather not buy a super pad pro because like I said before, not really interested in the games that actually need it (except for KI, which I did not know).

While I do want to play smash, I would prefer to wait for the N3DS because upgrading in the future like you suggested is very hard for me! ): (I live in brazil so prices aren't good and I would have to buy it from another country, like the US, where I don't go to a lot).

I understand the mailing system is different in Brazil (which I didn't know you were from, don't really pay attention to that) but here in the US importing a game is about the same as ordering a game in my own region on the internet.

Uprising doesn't NEED it but it can use it. I'll go back to my point about it not looking comfortable to use, because then if you don't like using the stick you'll have to resort to one of the other two options and you may not like those either which is a big problem because people that didn't like the game it was because of the controls.

I understand the mailing system is different in Brazil (which I didn't know you were from, don't really pay attention to that) but here in the US importing a game is about the same as ordering a game in my own region on the internet.

Uprising doesn't NEED it but it can use it. I'll go back to my point about it not looking comfortable to use, because then if you don't like using the stick you'll have to resort to one of the other two options and you may not like those either which is a big problem because people that didn't like the game it was because of the controls.

Yes, it's definitely not the same price as buying from the internet (in my region).

I got that it's not needed, but I would like to try it out since it's the preferred method. Also, I forgot to mention in my last post that, from what I've read, the stick is actually quite confortable, but still, that depends on the person I guess. I hope I'll like it! :P

When it's released, I could just try it out, and if I don't like it, I could always buy the non-new one.

Edited by brennerei

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to sound like a Nintendo hater for this, but let me start by saying I grew up on Nintendo and Sega. I also owned a PS1. Nintendo usually dished out the franchises I played the most, and the SNES was my favorite console of all time (I am even getting a tattoo of the controller). I currently own a 3DS and a Wii U. While I love the 3DS, I have to say this:

This was dumb move on Nintendo's part. I know that the extra analog nub is a good idea and they even had an add on for it, which while it looked stupid, it resolved the issue of some games needing a second analog stick. Really I feel that could have been a better solution to just keep servicing that, but this... This is so a bad move on so many levels... Where do I even begin?

- The 3DS is the best selling console right now. Why would you ruin that success by being stupid? This is definitely going to hurt sales and turn people off of Nintendo. Introducing new required hardware in the form of entire new consoles in a short period of time almost never ends well, look at Sega with the CD and the 32X.

- 2DS users are going to get burned the most from this. The 2DS is only a year old, and this thing is slated for release sometime early 2015, so that means that the 2DS will more or less be obsolete within a year after purchase, because as it so happens, this 3DS will feature a faster processor so newer games will NOT be compatible with the older models, Xenoblade Chronicles being one of those games.

- They claim they are going to try and service both consoles at once, but that is just going to split the market, which as we've all learned, almost never works.

- Xenoblade Chronicles is DEFINITELY a game worthy of a remake since when it came out on the Wii it got a really stunted treatment. Came out very late in the Wii's lifespan, was delayed a long time, and marketed poorly, despite being an excellent game. So it was nice to see it getting a proper remake... But now they are going to put it on a new console that a lot of people are going to be bitter about buying. My 3DS is only 2 years old, and now you're telling me I will need to upgrade if I want to play the new games coming out in 2015+? $150+ is a lot to dump into an upgrade in only 3 years.

- New 3DS does not come in all the colors. Got a nice special edition 3DS or a color they don't make the new one in yet? Deal with it. I personally enjoy my pink 3DS and it makes me sad that I will have to wait until they re-release it now.

- The name... New 3DS... I'm sorry, but Mr. Iwata has messed up Nintendo so badly in the past 3 years. He went from making 2 of their BEST SELLING SYSTEMS OF ALL TIME, to non-stop marketing failures. Nintendo, have you not realized that you are doing AWFUL at marketing? Look at the Wii U. Many people still think it's a tablet add on for the Wii. A lot of people don't realize the 2DS and 3DS play the same games, so you are going to make a new 3DS and just call it "New 3DS"? This boggles my mind, because in like 2 years it won't be new anymore so what will you call it then? Also how is this supposed to help the confusion? How will people realize that some games will only run on this 3DS? Considering you already have to mark games to remind people they work on the 2DS. What are you going to have some kind of grid on the boxes now to show what 3DS they work on and which they won't? This is not good marketing.

- Shoot the devs in the foot again. Considering you dropped the ball with  the Wii U on third party devs, and you didn't warn them about the 2DS much in advance before it came out to where you forced them not to use the 3D on the system for anything beyond eye pleasing, now you are asking them to develop for 2 different systems?

This makes me very sad, because I was loving the 3DS, and this may hurt some of my love for it. I can not even grasp how Mr. Iwata thought this was a good idea. I get that the announcements at E3 and Mario Kart 8 more than likely saved his job, and that's great, but you'd think after cutting it so close he would wise up and realize that he needs to start making smarter marketing moves, or hire someone to do it for him. Nintendo is on it's 4th year of market loss now, and there's only a couple of months left to turn this around for them to get them out of the hole. I say this as a Nintendo fan, someone who does not want to see Nintendo being forced to drop out of the hardware business: get your act together Nintendo. Either fire Mr. Iwata or give him some assistants that will do the marketing for him, because clearly he is not doing any market research whatsoever before pumping out these "ideas" of his.

Well, that marks the end of my rant, but I do have to say I am excited to see this remake, I just wish it wasn't going to cost so much for people to get to play it who already owned a 3DS prior to this.

Here's an article talking about the newer processor, yeah I know, Nintendo kind of snuck that little blow to the nuts in stealthily. They focused on the new buttons and analog nub so no one would notice that this is a forced upgrade, it will not be optional for current 3DS owners who want Xenoblades: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/14474/20140830/nintendo-announces-new-3ds-and-3ds-xl-improved-cpu-and-3d-functionality.htm

Edited by Mist

- 2DS users are going to get burned the most from this. The 2DS is only a year old, and this thing is slated for release sometime early 2015, so that means that the 2DS will more or less be obsolete within a year after purchase, because as it so happens, this 3DS will feature a faster processor so newer games will NOT be compatible with the older models, Xenoblade Chronicles being one of those games.

- New 3DS does not come in all the colors. Got a nice special edition 3DS or a color they don't make the new one in yet? Deal with it. I personally enjoy my pink 3DS and it makes me sad that I will have to wait until they re-release it now.

- Shoot the devs in the foot again. Considering you dropped the ball with  the Wii U on third party devs, and you didn't warn them about the 2DS much in advance before it came out to where you forced them not to use the 3D on the system for anything beyond eye pleasing, now you are asking them to develop for 2 different systems?

Weren't 2DS users burned just by buying a 2DS to begin with? It's missing features and is a handheld that is obnoxiously un-portable.

New 3DS supports changable faceplates, colors don't matter.

3D actually never added anything to a game mechanic-wise. As for the second part they aren't asking or forcing anyone to do anything. Devs can choose to release on the old 3DS with the larger install base or use the extra power of the New 3DS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.

Nintendo sure does release new versions of their handhelds quite frequently.

It'd be interesting to see what other games are "New 3DS" exclusive.

I bought a 3DS on day one, so it's pretty knackered at this stage and was thinking about buying a new one,

so I guess I could wait for this to be released.

Rather interestingly, the new console is to be released in Australia on the 21st November.

• 2 months later...

Weren't 2DS users burned just by buying a 2DS to begin with? It's missing features and is a handheld that is obnoxiously un-portable.

New 3DS supports changable faceplates, colors don't matter.

3D actually never added anything to a game mechanic-wise. As for the second part they aren't asking or forcing anyone to do anything. Devs can choose to release on the old 3DS with the larger install base or use the extra power of the New 3DS.

The 2DS was more about getting in that economy crowd who could not afford to dump $169 into a handheld.

As for the faceplates, I know I won't be trading in my 3DS which was signed by James Rolfe (AVGN) anytime soon. That's part of my point though; people who bought like say... A special edition 3DS are not exactly going to be very happy.

My thoughts exactly, this new system I think will end up like the DSi really, one or two games released the require it, then devs just go back to making games that work on the old hardware. It's just not in their best interest to split their consumers up.