"The Big Three" - Discussion

Kouhai

So as everyone knows the big three are (or atleast was) Naruto, Bleach, and Onepiece. Basically because they monopolized sales and views in the manga / anime industry for so long they pretty much gained this title.

Now that the bleach anime has ended, and it's popularity has been dropping for a while now, there is a lot of discussion as to who are the current big three.

What about you? What would you consider the big three at the moment and why?

Personally, I feel that Naruto, Bleach and Onepiece will (or should) always be known as the big three, because they were long running series that ran side by side for a very long time. Any new anime that takes part of TB3 (The Big 3, too long to type so much) will be known as 'the new big three', or something like that.

Also, there's not many long running series, as most time it's 12 episodes, 24 episodes, or sometimes 50. Excluding shows like Doraemon, there's not really much that gets past 100 episodes. (Gintama, Fairy Tail, are the big ones I can think of).

Anyway, this thread is for discussing anything big 3 related. Who / What / Why you like them, why you hate them.

Anything related big 3. Let's have fun discussing.

• Like 1

This is something I can get into

I suppose the big three should remain. Bleach is still releasing it's dubs via VIZ. And despite it's popularity being dropped in Japan, it's quite popular everywhere else.

But if they were to replace it, Fairy Tail would be the better option. It's just as popular as the big three and unlike Gintama, they're dubbing fairy tail. Something that they don't want to take a chance with Gintama.

Bleach hasn't been in the big three for years. It currently ranks #15 on the Japanese Manga sales.

Naruto sells more than 2x Bleach, and One Piece sells like 9x Bleach.

One Piece btw has been the #1 Manga sold since pretty much it's creation.

It's huge over in Japan. It just never got as much attention in the West compared to Bleach/Naruto due to 4kids crap.

In 2013:

18,151,599 One Piece

5,553,933 Naruto

4,231,475 Hunter × Hunter

3,790,151 Fairy Tail

2,864,734 Gintama

2,844,248 Toriko

2,752,588 Bleach

The big three is only for shounen jump series.

Toriko passed the sales of Bleach a while ago, but I also will add seven deadly sins is gaining popularity, but I am not sure if it will be succesfull still with the anime for it.

Also as for english dubbing, I heard funimation dropped both toriko and fairy tail.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

Hunter x Hunter sales marks it as being in the "big 3 shounen" slightly ahead of Fairy Tail; which is funny considering Fairy Tail releases regularly and HxH is always on hiatus and only has a few chapters per year. Which means when HxH does release, it sells like freaking crazy, lol.

Haha. I figured it's been pretty down. But #15, woah. That's quite a hit.

I feel something heading towards popularity would be Magi. It got two anime seasons that was recieved quite well. I rather enjoy it too, I think it's probably one of the best, if not the best manga coming out at the moment.

That being said, I don't know much about sales, haha. I assume it's doing well, but that's based off of my own opinion.

I thought this was based on manga sales, One piece was the highest(I think it still is) Naruto was second and bleach was third.

I thought the big three being shonen jump was just coincidence

Eh, it doesn't really matter. I don't follow manga anyways, I'll just continue watching anime

and

Also as for english dubbing, I heard funimation dropped fairy tail.

That can't be

Also, how does kodansha rival shonen jump if Kondansha is a company and shonen jump is a magazine.

Edited by LimitLess

Also as for english dubbing, I heard funimation dropped both toriko and fairy tail.

No, you're wrong. They just released Part 11 less than a month ago and Part 12 is coming out like next month iirc.

Haha. I figured it's been pretty down. But #15, woah. That's quite a hit.

I feel something heading towards popularity would be Magi. It got two anime seasons that was recieved quite well. I rather enjoy it too, I think it's probably one of the best, if not the best manga coming out at the moment.

Magi actually outsold Naruto last year: 7,151,001

Nothing comes close to One Piece in sales. Attack on Titan last year took #2 spot for sales but it was still more than 3,000,000 behind One Piece who has continued to dominate manga sales for more than a decade.

• Like 2

I thought this was based on manga sales, One piece was the highest(I think it still is) Naruto was second and bleach was third.

I thought the big three being shonen jump was just coincidence

Eh, it doesn't really matter. I don't follow manga anyways, I'll just continue watching anime

and

Also as for english dubbing, I heard funimation dropped fairy tail.

That can't be

Also, how does kodansha rival shonen jump if Kondansha is a company and shonen jump is a magazine.

They both are manga companies that have magazines.

Sueisha, [i am not sure if I spelled it right] owns shounen jump and young jump among others, and Kodansha owns shounen sunday and shuukan kodansha magazine among others.

They have been rivals for years.

Fairy tail runs is shuukan kodansha magazine, and series like detective conan, zettai karen children and magi run in shounen Sunday.

For years, the big three have only been shounen jump series, even back in the 80's.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

Haha, I'm glad to hear it! That being said, I have a feeling the sales will drop this year, the current arc (I feel) is a bit heavy to go through.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you finding these sales? (Is it just google? Am I just bad at googling!?)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2013

The Big 3 is English-language anime/manga fandom shorthand for referring to the three largest Weekly Shounen Jump titles. The term is generally used only by English-language fandom although some fans have noted that Japanese lurkers on 2ch know what it means and have begun to use it in Japanese fandom. Some fans also use the term, Holy Shounen Trinity (or HST), to refer to the Big 3 although HST is meant to refer to currently running shounen titles rather than series that have been completed.

Some fans have wondered if a manga series not serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump could ever become one of the Big 3. Many fans agree that a title serialized in monthly installments could not due to a lower publication frequency, which encourages less fan discussion from week to week. It has been suggested that a Big 3 title could come from Weekly Shounen Magazine, which is Weekly Shounen Jump's closest rival. In this case, the most often cited candidate tends to be Fairy Tail.

In the early 90s, the Big 3 was said to have been Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, and Yu Yu Hakusho. This era is thought of by many people as the Golden Age of Weekly Shounen Jump, when its circulation was at its peak. In the late 90s the Big 3 consisted of One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, and Hunter x Hunter.

Source: Fanlore.org