WWE 2K15 - The Next Gen Wrestling Game

J-Lord

As a former Wresling fan I have a soft spot for the Wrestling games, they can be a lot of fun with friends.

This years Wresling game seems to set itself apart from the rest. I haven't really bought one since WWE 2K13.

This will be the first WWE Game on the Next Gen consoles and from seeing there first and only ingame screenshot at this time I am blown away with how the game models look. Instead of looking like a cheap imitaion of the Wrestler they look real as hell.

Take a look for yourself.

WWE-2K15-Cena_Screen_1_zps74946f19.jpg

This has been confirmed as in-game screenshot (not a cut scene but in match screenshot) taken with a developer camera tool.

For those wanting more here is a Q&A That Jared Community manager fir WWE Games has hosted:

Jared 2K, Community Manager for WWE Games, responded to a few questions from the fans on the official 2K forums. Here are his answers:

About John Cena Screenshot:

Yes, that is an actual, in-game screenshot using developer screenshot tools (just like all the 2K14 screenshots you see us post on Twitter/FB). It was taken during gameplay, so it's not during an entrance or cut-scene or anything like that. The lighting, the depth-of-field, the light reflecting off the ropes.. it's 100% legit in-game. 

The really cool thing? It gets better. While this screenshot is impressive, it also doesn't get into the insane details of the character models. The advantage of both facial and body scans really comes through when you start noticing details about these people that you ordinarily take for granted, from bone structure to pigment variation to moles.. It's super nuts and it'll be a lot of fun to dissect each coming screenshot for these types of details.

To that end, one detail that stands out to me here is John's veins. They're always very clear during a match, especially that squiggly one that goes down his right arm. You can see those here and rendered accurately, where in the past its always just been little highlights here and there. It's crazy.

Q: Awesome points here Jared. I'm actually curious as to how the crowd looks?

Much better, actually! If you've seen the crowds in NBA 2K14 then you'll have some idea of what to expect. The movement is more organic with everyone moving at different timings. If models are repeated they're at least wearing something totally different. Variations in genders and sizes. MORE SIGNS! It's not mega mindblowing, but man is it ever a step up.

Q: Can you tell us if there are plans of releasing a last gen (X360/PS3) screenshot or anything like that?

Of course, but I believe that may not come until after IGN First. For those sticking with Xbox 360 and PS3, we'll definitely have some unique reasons for you to pick up this year's game.

Q: I'm just wondering by seeing this awesome screenshot, does this mean that the superstars entrances are more realistic by any chance and is there anything improved to them?

Entrances are definitely improved and are more accurate. Some of this comes from the superior visuals and lighting, and others simply from improved camera work. There are some new details under the hood in regards to how the camera can be manipulated by the developers. For example, during John Cena's entrance, when it sweeps over the crowd during the opening chords of his theme, it feels a bit more authentic. You get a sense that it's actually being operated by a crane and not just "its a video game so it moves how it wants." It's subtle but it helps it feel more true to life. 

And since we've more or less revealed Randy Orton with his butt, here's another example. You know how during his entrance, there's that huge strobe light that turns on and fills the arena with each guitar riff? That looks utterly spectacular in WWE 2K15. With the new lighting engine Randy gains a natural back-light. It reflects off the ramp and the barricades, his shoulders and highlights his silhouette. It looks and feels just like it does in real life in a way that's very natural and, well.. not video-gamey. Needless to say, it is very, very cool.

Q: Did the guys at 2K scan the superstars for their entrances or is it similar to how entrances were made in the past?

I would say similar to in the past. We're lucky to have some of the Superstars MoCap their entrances (I was there for Cesaro, actually!), but others are performed by actors. The 2K motion capture facility itself is fantastic. As the actors are performing they get visual and audio queues. They have instant access to both video of the actual Superstars as well as their own performance. Everyone on the roster got new entrances so you'll see improvements there for sure.

Q: Could you possibly tell us anything about the Divas in the game?? Any hint or something about their look in the current-gen or if finally Diva fans are gonna be happy with the ammount of them in the game??

They look a lot better (obviously), but especially so on Xbox 360 and PS3. They definitely got the attention they deserve and you'll see some very dramatic differences between 2K14 and 2K15 with the Divas. You'll be hearing about the Divas come Summerslam along with the rest of the roster.

Q: It seems odd to me that there are only 2 rivalries unless they incorporate a lot of different superstars or something. That doesn't seem like much so maybe feuds that include a lot of people like Sting and nWo make more sense.

There's a lot of content within the two rivalries that'll be available in WWE 2K15. Not only do they contain a lot of matches, but additional, high-quality video content as well. There's a few other little tricks that you'll learn about soon. The best way to think about it is the 2K Showcase is similar to the single-player content you've seen in previous years, only much higher quality.

UPDATE: 21/8/14

WWE 2K15 Confirmed Roster: (not full roster)

AJ Lee
Alberto Del Rio
Bad News Barrett
Batista
Big E
Big Show
Booker T
Bray Wyatt
Brie Bella
Brock Lesnar
Cameron
Cesaro
Chris Jericho
CM Punk
Cody Rhodes
Curtis Axel
Damien Sandow
Daniel Bryan
Darren Young
Dean Ambrose
Dolph Ziggler
Erick Rowan
Fandango
Goldust
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Hulk Hogan
Jack Swagger
Jey Uso
Jimmy Uso
John Cena
Justin Gabriel
Kane
Kevin Nash
Kofi Kingston
Luke Harper
Mark Henry
Naomi
Natalya
Nikki Bella
Randy Orton
Rey Mysterio
Ric Flair
Rob Van Dam
Roman Reigns
R-Truth
Ryback
Santino Marella
Seth Rollins
Shawn Michaels
Sheamus
Sting
Sting (Surfer)
“Stone Cold” Steve Austin
Summer Rae
Tamina
The Miz
The Rock
The Undertaker
Titus O’Neil
Triple H
Tyson Kidd
Xavier Woods

Let loose guys and let me know what you think. I would have to say I am keen mostly due to the high def quality of the models.

Edited by J-Lord

• 2 weeks later...

Added Confirmed Roster in first post.

So far where this game has hugely improved graphics there are some things that seem to let this game down. All models have improved greatly due to the new scanning methods but anyone or any wrestler who cannot be scanned at this time wont look as refined as the scanned wrestlers. So any Legend or Wrestler who has died will not look as good, even CM Punk wont be as high def in the game as the other scanned Wrestlers.

(For those who don't know CM Punk is in the game but he refused to be scanned for the game by 2K seeing as he left the WWE on bad terms)

Also from some who have had their hands on the game say it is still pretty glitchey and not refined. But they have to remember the Demo they got their hands on what a very early stage of the game and is not what it is now.

• 1 month later...

It was that Goldust entrance video from a few weeks ago that really made me interested. I usually don't both with WWE games, but this is starting to look quite good indeed.

In saying that, I base it mostly off of the graphics and animations I have seen, which I fear may be the primary focus this time around. Whilst they are important, I hope gameplay and modes do not suffer for them.

It was that Goldust entrance video from a few weeks ago that really made me interested. I usually don't both with WWE games, but this is starting to look quite good indeed.

In saying that, I base it mostly off of the graphics and animations I have seen, which I fear may be the primary focus this time around. Whilst they are important, I hope gameplay and modes do not suffer for them.

Indeed, 2K have taken there wrestling games seriously since they took over making the WWE games. But I feel like with all this new graphics and focus on other things that a few areas will suffer like you thought. One area being the roster, so far it is not as exciting as previous years as a lot of High up WWE superstars are missing. Though the roster hasn't been fully announced yet.

• 1 month later...

Welp, judging by the reviews coming out, it looks like I was right in that the graphics and engine stuff are the big things for this game, whilst game modes, number of wrestlers etc. have suffered. It would be my guess that next years game will be the one to really be interested in, now that they have done a lot of the modelling and the suchlike.

In saying that, the game does include magic:

QuarterlySkinnyAlaskanmalamute.gif

Welp, judging by the reviews coming out, it looks like I was right in that the graphics and engine stuff are the big things for this game, whilst game modes, number of wrestlers etc. have suffered. It would be my guess that next years game will be the one to really be interested in, now that they have done a lot of the modelling and the suchlike.

In saying that, the game does include magic:

It is a shame that this game had so much removed but Where it lost stuff it also gained stuff. The loss of a lot of match types, creation mode and a lot of other things in a way can't compare to what they have added but the have started off a new WWE series of games that will get better. I feel like it is about time they took a step back to make a better and more realistic game (That is the only reason why i am buying this game this year. That and the new Story mode and CM as it may be his last WWE game).

I am excited none the less and hopefully with the lack of modes and other things I can enjoy the basics of this game. As some have said this game is great, it just lacks icing to top it all off.

On another note that GIF proves that wrestling is fake!!!!!!! lol thought I would see what it was like to be a WWE hater.

Edited by J-Lord

Got my hands on WWE 2K15 Today.

First impressions.....I have mixed thoughts about the game. With create a wrestler there is even less there than I thought. You really only have like 1 hair styles which most of them are the same as others. Customer Attire is limited and the logo tool is much harder to use than previous games. Even entrances have taken a huge hit. Maybe I have to unlock more but if that first list I saw which is like half the WWE roster in-game is pretty poor..

The game-play is fun but also frustrating at times. There is a lag when you do some moves at time. I thin the lag is due to you waiting for the character to get into a grab-able animation but the computers are able to slip there own attacks in the lag time.

Still yet to do everything in this new game. it is fun but lacks a lot and feels like it shouldn't have been released at his stage.

• 9 months later...