New site in the works

Koby

Sounds really interesting!!!!!! But: ''The idea of this forum and the basis for it is due to some things that have been taking place as of late and could end up changing how things role.''

Did I miss anything??

If im allowed to guess i'd think that it has something to do with Kametsu turning into C-W 2.0, because of people not being active enough and only are here for the Cake aka downloads.

But it's just a guess, i don't know what it's about. Another reason could be the lack of donations.

i guess we'll have to wait and see how things play out.

Edited by Dark Lucario
  • Like 1

I personally don't see the need to make the entire forum a donate-to-join place.

Most of the 1 post wonders are the people who come for ONLY the downloads, so I think making the download section donate-to-join, or invite-only would suffice to weed out the inactive people and keep in the active. It would also keep the uploaded content more private, so people are more comfortable uploading what they have. Unless this is for cash, in which case this announcement:

ATTENTION: You may or may not have noticed that PayPal terminated our second account and locked all the funds that was in it (~$40). Since that has happened, we have not received any donations despite Skrill, Flattr, and Gittip being available options at this time. We were still $47 shy of the Server amount, and because of PayPal not giving us the other money we're also shy $40 on top of that, so basically we need $85 before the 30th of THIS Month. So we'd really appreciate it if you can help out!

Skrill works similar to Paypal, while Flattr and Gittip are micro-crowd-fundings. Flattr can accept money from Paypal so if you're unwilling or unable to switch to other providers you should still be able to donate via Flattr. Gittip seems the easiest to use and has no fees associated with it, so if you're willing to use any of the three, that would be our preference.
doesn't really express how tough times are. If you're desperate for cash to the point of making the entire forum cash users only, I'd say a blunt attention status would work. Something like:
"Attention: The Forums has been struggling as of late, and unless we hit our donation quota, the forums will inevitably be shut down in the next few months. To donate, follow instructions in the link. Thank you."
I'd be more likely to donate if you said the forums are to the point of shutting down, compared to being forced to donate if I want access to the forums.

I don't know what the "some things that have been taking place as of late" are though, so you probably have some other reason and not $$ or activity.
Besides, it's already in the works so I guess you're pretty set on making it happen, ahah. Here's hoping it goes well!

Wut. I never said it was donate-only. I said it was invite-only. A HUGE difference. If you have friends who have invites available they can send you one so you can register. Simple.

I'd never be conceded enough to only allow members forking cash over. For one thing that'd end up with either a completely dead community or one with more money than we can use on it. This site has always been non-profit and it will stay that way. Every bit of donations are used strictly on the server and site related services.

As it stands though; absolutely nothing has been done with this or even started up aside from the coming soon page. Even the domain likely wouldn't be final.

In which case I'd give all donators and contributors of Kametsu an invite and give them some invite codes to help things move along when that time comes.

My bad. I thought that mean that the original people have to be Donators or contributors. A lot of the time that doubles up. Thus donating is how you initially get in, and normally on invite-systems there are limits of how many invites per person. (I assumed once all invites were used-up, it would become donate-to-join)

I'm still a bit curious as to what's the driving force behind this anyway.

I just feel invite-only still serves to hurt the forums more then help it. You will still have the same amount of people active, just less people inactive - which honestly doesn't make a difference. But yeah, I don't actually think that's the reason for the (potential?) change. Even if that was the case, as I said before if you restrict the download section to invite-only it would still weed out the inactive leechers.

But ya, guess I just have to fiddle my thumbs and wait to find out!

• Like 1

Different site, different goal, different userbase (at least somewhat hopefully).

People would continue to get more invites based on various actions they do on the site and then the new members who got invited get invites, and so on.

I don't see where you're coming from saying making a new site invite-only would hurt it? If it's brand new, it's not like it's going to make people leave because of it or something. The whole point of the invite system is to keep the place at least somewhat private. The old saying "out of site, out of mind" logic. Plus it makes it harder for banned users to get back in as they can't just use a proxy and rejoin; they'd have to actually get another invite. If people use the invite system legitly; it should also keep prying eyes away from whats actually there.

Think of it like any other private tracker site out there for example: animeBytes, BTN, classicnickshows, cartoonchaos, etc.

As for the comment about giving invites to donators and contributors; well we gotta start somewhere. As for what I consider a contributor: staff, uploaders, and active members of the community. So basically anyone who has been active to a certain point here could be considered for an initial invite.

Ya, I think maybe I'm being too rough on the new site. What I was trying to say is Kametsu is REALLY good right now, and I don't see how the invite system would improve it. I personally like the site being so public as well, but maybe that's just me. I do see where you're coming from though.

Maybe I'm just being bias because I really like how Kametsu is now, and at least on face-value I think it's close to perfect already that I'm hesitant for any change.

Ya, I think maybe I'm being too rough on the new site. What I was trying to say is Kametsu is REALLY good right now, and I don't see how the invite system would improve it. I personally like the site being so public as well, but maybe that's just me. I do see where you're coming from though.

Maybe I'm just being bias because I really like how Kametsu is now, and at least on face-value I think it's close to perfect already that I'm hesitant for any change.

and "new site" doesn't mean Kametsu. Whatever becomes of this project, it will have no effect on anything to do with how Kametsu operates.

• Nekone locked this topic