Gotham (TV Series)

Koby

Everyone knows the name Commissioner Gordon. He is one of the crime world's greatest foes, a man whose reputation is synonymous with law and order. But what is known of Gordon's story and his rise from rookie detective to Police Commissioner? What did it take to navigate the multiple layers of corruption that secretly ruled Gotham City, the spawning ground of the world's most iconic villains? And what circumstances created them-–the larger-than-life personas who would become Catwoman, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face, and The Joker?

Gotham is an origin story of the great DC Comics super-villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told. From executive producer/writer Bruno Heller (“The Mentalist,” “Rome”), Gotham follows one cop's rise through a dangerously corrupt city teetering on the edge of evil, and chronicles the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time.

Growing up in Gotham City's surrounding suburbs, James Gordon (Ben McKenzie, “Southland,” “The O.C.”) romanticized the city as a glamorous and exciting metropolis where his late father once served as a successful district attorney. Now, two weeks into his new job as a Gotham City detective and engaged to his beloved fiancée, Barbara Kean (Erin Richards, “Open Grave,” “Breaking In”), Gordon is living his dream – even as he hopes to restore the city back to the pure version he remembers it was as a kid.

Brave, honest and ready to prove himself, the newly-minted detective is partnered with the brash, but shrewd police legend Harvey Bullock (Donal Logue, “Sons of Anarchy,” “Terriers,” “Vikings,” “Copper”), as the two stumble upon the city's highest-profile case ever: the murder of local billionaires Thomas and Martha Wayne. At the scene of the crime, Gordon meets the sole survivor: the Waynes' hauntingly intense 12-year-old son, Bruce (David Mazouz, “Touch”), toward whom the young detective feels an inexplicable kinship. Moved by the boy's profound loss, Gordon vows to catch the killer.

As he navigates the often-underhanded politics of Gotham's criminal justice system, Gordon will confront imposing gang boss Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith, “The Matrix” franchise, “HawthoRNe”), and many of the characters who will become some of fiction's most renowned, enduring villains, including a teenaged Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman (acting newcomer Camren Bicondova) and Oswald Cobblepot/the Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor, “The Walking Dead”).

While the crime drama will follow Gordon's turbulent and singular rise through the Gotham City police department, led by Police Captain Sarah Essen (Zabryna Guevara, “Burn Notice”), it also will focus on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune, who is being raised by his unflappable butler, Alfred (Sean Pertwee, “Camelot,” “Elementary”). It is a friendship that will last them all of their lives, playing a crucial role in helping the young boy eventually become the crusader he's destined to be.

Gotham is based upon characters published by DC Entertainment and is produced by Warner Bros. Television. Executive producer Bruno Heller (“The Mentalist”) wrote the pilot, which was directed and executive-produced by Emmy Award nominee Danny Cannon (the “CSI” franchise, “Nikita”). John Stephens will serve as an executive producer on the series.

The executive producer of FOX's 'Gotham' today confirmed Mr. Freeze will make an apperance in the first season, of the sure-fire hit show. Mr. Freeze was originally introduced in the Batman comics in 1959 and will appear with a re-imagined origin story in the upcoming drama. Not a lot more was given away by Danny Cannon, the show's executive producer, who was speaking at San Diego Comic Con International. Arnold Schwarzenegger (pictured) appeared in the not-so-well received 'Batman & Robin' 1997 movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S_bodvIBG4

'Gotham' to air on Channel 5 in the UK - New Trailer Released!

'Gotham' has found a home in the UK, on Channel 5, with the channel reportedly outbidding both Channel 4 and Sky, paying £500,000 an episode. The show will air shortly after the September 22nd premiere on FOX in the USA. The move has upset some fans who are still upset about the channel recently dropping other favourites such as 'Once Upon A Time', a show now without a home in the UK.

The shows latest trailer premiered over the weekend and can be watched here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3MWXRT7GU8

• 2 weeks later...

Just can't see this show doing much more beyond 'gerneric cop show....BUT WITH COMIC BOOK NAMEs!'.

This is pretty much how I'm feeling at this point. I'm tired of all the cop-themed shows on tv these days: CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, and hundreds of others. They're all pretty much the same thing with different characters.

• 1 month later...

Ugh, I can/can't believe they messed up in the first episode. How disappointing...

I am curious to know what they did, if it won't spoiler anything for others do you mind saying what happened?

Sure, it's not a spoiler, and 'big goof' is probably an overstatement, but it was amateur and dumb.

Watch at the beginning when a girl mugs two people, pay attention to the one with a bag of groceries. She steals a one gallon jug of milk, fresh from the store, and goes around the block to give it to a cat. That jug of milk, fresh from the store, all of a sudden was nearly empty...

I went into episode one expecting to drop the series. It just didn't seem like something I could get into. Just another generic detective/crime show just with the Gotham universe thrown in to get some fans immediately. However I actually enjoyed episode one. I'll be watching the next couple of episodes before I really make a judgement call though, but it was nice to be able to see a character and determine who they'll become in the future or if they were even around in other Batman universes. I felt it was pretty quick for Fish to turn on the cops and try to kill them off; being the first episode and such. Burning bridges already? I honestly don't see how she'll manage to stick around when even the crime boss doesn't seem to like the things she's trying to do.

Ugh, I can/can't believe they messed up in the first episode. How disappointing...

I am curious to know what they did, if it won't spoiler anything for others do you mind saying what happened?

Sure, it's not a spoiler, and 'big goof' is probably an overstatement, but it was amateur and dumb.

Watch at the beginning when a girl mugs two people, pay attention to the one with a bag of groceries. She steals a one gallon jug of milk, fresh from the store, and goes around the block to give it to a cat. That jug of milk, fresh from the store, all of a sudden was nearly empty...

I noticed that too. I just figured it skipped a little time and she had already fed a bunch of other cats around the area before she got to that cat.

Anyway, I liked the episode. It's too soon for me to judge the whole series already, but I really liked this episode. Like Koby said, it was fun to see some of the characters and then say "Ohhh I know who that is!!!"

Edited by Apollo

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, I am not a fan of cop shows, or most things that are private investigation stories, I might flip through episode 2, but I am not liking what CW is doing with this series ether.

I would rather if there going with private investigation theme, that they do Detective Comics Batman, in a more modern day feel.

Durring the time Bruce Wayne was helping Gothams police force.

Meh, I am not a fan of cop shows, or most things that are private investigation stories, I might flip through episode 2, but I am not liking what CW is doing with this series ether.

I would rather if there going with private investigation theme, that they do Detective Comics Batman, in a more modern day feel.

Durring the time Bruce Wayne was helping Gothams police force.

It's Fox. Not CW.

Been watching this series since day 1 :D I'm thrilled to see the other characters in the Batman universe and how they mature along the way. Especially Mr. Cobblepot (Penguin) as well as Selina Kyle and Bruce. 

I was a bit surprised by Alfred though since I never expected him to be like that especially when it comes to young Bruce.

• 11 months later...

Hopefully it gets whatever was missing last season... I barely managed to finish it. Literally was making myself watch it for the second half because I had no interest in the show itself but was hoping they'd do something good with the premise. It never got better though. So unless the enjoyment goes up I don't really foresee me watching this season in completion.

The fact that Fish is out of the picture at least for now is a plus though and thus far Season 2 has been better.

• Like 1