Paypal has once again blocked us

Koby

Definitely let me know when a new donation system gets in place (PM?). Gotta support this great site. And a hell no to Bitcoin. I tried to set up mining before for a couple hours but couldn't get it to work (granted this was on a Mac and my previously shitty Internet connwction).

Skrill still works.

Started signing up but having to upload Photo ID, confirmation of address, etc. had me a bit hesitant to finish up. I think that I'll wait a bit for other options and just make a bigger donation :)

what about bitcoin?

by Koby

Bitcoin I didn't like because they use some made up coin currency and it seemed pretty difficult if not impossible to convert or whatever or maybe I was just missing something. Either way it seemed like you'd have to first pay money for coins then you can donate the coins... then the person who received them could do whatever.. It just seemed overly complicated with a bunch of useless steps.

What options are there at the moment for donations. Since the removal of Paypal I am unsure on how to go about donating and get a error every time I try to donate. Claims I haven't entered in a correct donation amount.

Oops! Something went wrong!

Please go back and make sure the amount field is filled in with a numerical value.

Need Help?

What options are there at the moment for donations. Since the removal of Paypal I am unsure on how to go about donating and get a error every time I try to donate. Claims I haven't entered in a correct donation amount.

Please go back and make sure the amount field is filled in with a numerical value.

Need Help?

What are you typing into the box?

Skrill is the only donation method via the donation page; but I don't have the API passkey yet to make the tracker recognize a donation through it. The donation goes through fine, it just doesn't show up on the forum that you donated. I have to manually enter it. I'll get this fixed when Skrill approves my submission to be switched to the right account type.

There is Flattr you can use too, I'm not sure how it works yet as no one has tested it for me... but I'm told you can send money from Paypal to it, but I'm not positive on this.

Still working on other options, but most of the ones I've looked into require massive amounts of personal documents just to be able to use their service. It's a bit crazy.

There is Flattr you can use too, I'm not sure how it works yet as no one has tested it for me... but I'm told you can send money from Paypal to it, but I'm not positive on this.

Lol, that "watermarked" 5.00 in the box is confusing... I thought it was the default and accepted it when you clicked Donate.

As for Flattr, I can give it a try if you want?

Need Help?

Skrill is the only donation method via the donation page; but I don't have the API passkey yet to make the tracker recognize a donation through it. The donation goes through fine, it just doesn't show up on the forum that you donated. I have to manually enter it. I'll get this fixed when Skrill approves my submission to be switched to the right account type.

Still working on other options, but most of the ones I've looked into require massive amounts of personal documents just to be able to use their service. It's a bit crazy.

Moodkiller's post answered my question. I lft it as the default to test, but turns out the default is not something that will work. I had a glance at Flattr and it seems a little out of the ordinary. After work today i'll give it a go and let you know if I can get it to work with paypal.

Lol, that "watermarked" 5.00 in the box is confusing... I thought it was the default and accepted it when you clicked Donate.

As for Flattr, I can give it a try if you want?

Yep it got me....

• Like 1

Moodkiller's post answered my question. I lft it as the default to test, but turns out the default is not something that will work. I had a glance at Flattr and it seems a little out of the ordinary. After work today i'll give it a go and let you know if I can get it to work with paypal.

That would save me the trouble as well if you tested it. 

That would save me the trouble as well if you tested it. 

Will keep ya posted if i can get it to work or not. Would make thing easy if i could still use Paypal.

• Like 1

Update!

I have gotten flattr to work with Paypal and I think the money I have put on their will go to Kametsu..... but from what I have read up payments are  not instant, what it is like it paying your bills but the payment comes out at the end of the month.

• What I have done is you set up a flattr account and then add funds to it with Paypal (Caution: The site uses € so when I added $5 to test this site it ended up costing me $7.50)

• The next step it to flattr Kametsu (Kind of liking a site with facebook where you click the like button). just click the flattr button at the top of the page and if you where logged into flattr, you will flattr Kametsu.

• Once that is done you set a monthly budget. (the budget is how much comes out of your flattr account at the end of each month if you have funds in it. These funds get divided up to all the people you have flattred). Which for me will only be Kametsu. So say you add €20 to your flattr account but have a budget set to €5, it will take 4 months to empty your flattr account of your €20, which means Kametsu should received €5 each month due to your budget set (this can be increased and lowered).

Also note and I find this annoying after going to all this effort to donate, flattr takes 10% of your monthly flattr budget.

What's the fee to use Flattr?

It’s free to set up a Flattr account. We keep 10% of what you give, meaning 90% of what you flattr goes to creators. Payment providers apply a small fee when you withdraw money you’ve made from your account.

If you have more questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer. So far I have flattred kametsu so my budget of 5 Euros should go to Kametsu at the end of this month...as per what the site tells me, if this works I will increase the qty I budget but I don't really feel like losing 10-20% of my money just trying to donate.

I will try another donation method when I get the chance.

Paypal took like 30 cents off the top + a % based on the amount donated as well. Every site has some sort of fee.

10% sounds like a bit much on paper. That's $2 out of every $20. Paypal took on average ~$1.30 from a donation of $25. So I'd guess it'd be around $1.15 at $20. So in the end Flatter takes about an extra 85 cents per $20 donation.

I don't remember how much Skrill took off each donation, but I do know Skrill had a minimum allowance of like $25 or $30 before they'd let you withdraw anything and they charged a $5 fee for doing so.

After reading up on their stuff; apparently Flattr pays out on the 10th of every month which is pretty lame (which means we've only got 4 days if we expect to get the money transferred before the end of this month). However I have no idea how to withdraw the money or where it gets sent to.

Thanks for testing J-Lord.

Paypal took like 30 cents off the top + a % based on the amount donated as well. Every site has some sort of fee.

10% sounds like a bit much on paper. That's $2 out of every $20. Paypal took on average ~$1.30 from a donation of $25. So I'd guess it'd be around $1.15 at $20. So in the end Flatter takes about an extra 85 cents per $20 donation.

I don't remember how much Skrill took off each donation, but I do know Skrill had a minimum allowance of like $25 or $30 before they'd let you withdraw anything and they charged a $5 fee for doing so.

After reading up on their stuff; apparently Flattr pays out on the 10th of every month which is pretty lame (which means we've only got 4 days if we expect to get the money transferred before the end of this month). However I have no idea how to withdraw the money or where it gets sent to.

The fee wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have to pay more money to convert to euros. Say I wanted to donate $20 I would have to donate it in euros which will end up costing more on top of that 10% fee:

20 Euro equals
28.70 Australian Dollar

No worries glad I could help.

The fee wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have to pay more money to convert to euros. Say I wanted to donate $20 I would have to donate it in euros which will end up costing more on top of that 10% fee:

20 Euro equals

28.70 Australian Dollar

No worries glad I could help.

I don't know why it made you convert to EURO, but n the end it converts 1:1, so just figure out how much you'd have to donate in EUROs to equal what it was you really wanted to donate so you're not sending more or less than you wanted to. Or maybe look around and see if there is an option to swap from EURO or whatever.

Also I've now added Gittip. Which seems similar to Flattr, but does it weekly instead of monthly as well as seems even easier to get setup. They allow direct bank deposits and credit card transfers. I don't know if they allow donations from Paypal though...

I'm still wanting to get some of the other regular sites up and running that can be done through the Donation mod we have.

I don't know why it made you convert to EURO, but n the end it converts 1:1, so just figure out how much you'd have to donate in EUROs to equal what it was you really wanted to donate so you're not sending more or less than you wanted to. Or maybe look around and see if there is an option to swap from EURO or whatever.

Also I've now added Gittip. Which seems similar to Flattr, but does it weekly instead of monthly as well as seems even easier to get setup. They allow direct bank deposits and credit card transfers. I don't know if they allow donations from Paypal though...

I'm still wanting to get some of the other regular sites up and running that can be done through the Donation mod we have.

From Flattr:

What's €? Why not use $?

€ is Euro, the biggest European currency. As we're based in Europe that’s what we use. It doesn’t matter for you as a user. Our payment providers will automatically exchange to your currency when you add money to your Flattr account. We show your local currency in your dashboard.

I could do all the conversions myself and workout what I need to send so I am not over spending but I don't know if Flattr will let you do custom amounts to that degree.

Edited by J-Lord

Alright I did some info gathering.

On Flattr they only pay out on the 10th of each month. I can only withdraw the money from Flattr into a Paypal or Skrill account. As I don't/can't have a Paypal account that simply leaves me with withdrawing it to Skrill. So really, it almost seems pointless to use Flattr if we're already using Skrill. The only benefits Flattr would have is that you can setup monthly subscriptions if you wished. Otherwise you might as well just use Skrill which works almost identical to Paypal.

Skrill has a minimum withdraw balance of like $25 (I think that's what it said) so I can't withdraw anything until I'm over that amount. Then there is a $5 processing fee to withdraw.

As for Gittip; they pay out every Thursday (a weekly basis) and the money can easily be withdrawn directly into a bank account with no fee. The only fees associated with Gittip is the initial transaction of adding funds to your account. There are no fees to send those funds or withdraw them.

Alright I did some info gathering.

On Flattr they only pay out on the 10th of each month. I can only withdraw the money from Flattr into a Paypal or Skrill account. As I don't/can't have a Paypal account that simply leaves me with withdrawing it to Skrill. So really, it almost seems pointless to use Flattr if we're already using Skrill. The only benefits Flattr would have is that you can setup monthly subscriptions if you wished. Otherwise you might as well just use Skrill which works almost identical to Paypal.

Skrill has a minimum withdraw balance of like $25 (I think that's what it said) so I can't withdraw anything until I'm over that amount. Then there is a $5 processing fee to withdraw.

As for Gittip; they pay out every Thursday (a weekly basis) and the money can easily be withdrawn directly into a bank account with no fee.

Skrill sounds like a better option for me personally, will give it a go tomorrow some time.

• Nekone locked this topic