Akame ga Kill!

Karinama

Under the rule of a tyrannical empire, Tatsumi, a young swordsman, leaves his home to save his poverty stricken village. He meets a girl named Akame, an assassin who was bought, brainwashed and trained to kill by the Empire. Akame is a member of the secret assassin group called “Night Raid” who use special weapons called Teigu. Together, Tatsumi and the members of Night Raid confront the corrupt empire.

This show had me hooked by the end of the first episode. It sends you a curve ball right in the beginning. It is currently 2 episodes in. It simulcasts on Crunchyroll on Sundays 12PM EDT.

This is actually a show I didn't intend to pick up this season but somehow ended up downloading the first episode anyhow after seeing it in a Guess the Anime by Screenshot thread and then reading a blog about the first episode. I quite enjoyed it. Seems they also stream a little 'theater' episode online after each episode as well. It's got a decent mix of comedy, action, and gore to keep me interested.

This is actually a show I didn't intend to pick up this season but somehow ended up downloading the first episode anyhow after seeing it in a Guess the Anime by Screenshot thread and then reading a blog about the first episode. I quite enjoyed it. Seems they also stream a little 'theater' episode online after each episode as well. It's got a decent mix of comedy, action, and gore to keep me interested.

I wish they would post the theater episode on Crunchyroll, or do they on the computer based site?

I wish they would post the theater episode on Crunchyroll, or do they on the computer based site?

I'm not sure what site it's streamed on. I think perhaps the official site of the show.

Episode 1 was streamed at 720p while episode 2 was only 480p.

Either way I'm watching Vivid's release of the show and they're releasing both the show and the theater shorts.

I'm not sure what site it's streamed on. I think perhaps the official site of the show.

Episode 1 was streamed at 720p while episode 2 was only 480p.

Either way I'm watching Vivid's release of the show and they're releasing both the show and the theater shorts.

Ok, gotcha. Who is your favorite character so far out of the assassins?

Who is your favorite character so far out of the assassins?

Tough to say as most of them haven't really had enough screen time yet.

I'd say Lubbock, Akame, and Najenda are probably the top contenders for 'favorite' at this point.

Very true! I'm gonna have to go with Akame. Chowing down on that evil bird rotisserie!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The story isn't very deep, it doesn't really immerse you into; but for what it's worth it's extremely enjoyable to watch. It does things very few other anime are willing to do. It's not scared to kill off main cast members. The fights are enjoyable, the art is colorful and vibrant, the characters stand out and are developed well enough that you can actually feel like you know them somewhat, but it doesn't go very deep into anything. It tries to be a lot of things, and while it doesn't succeed at most, it certainly doesn't fail completely either.

Akame ga Kill is the first series I've watched in a long while that has me begging for more, excited for the next episode, and never makes me bored.

For that reason, I've even decided to upload it to my bot; which is rare for me to do for on-going subtitled-only series. I tend to use my subtitled-only xdcc bot for older shows that I enjoyed but never received an English dub. So that alone should tell you something. I recommend you check the show up. Would enjoy discussing it more on a weekly basis if I had someone to discuss with; unfortunately no one really talks here anymore.

• Like 1

Akame ga kill is pretty good. It would be better if they didn't have that comic relief in each episode.

After seeing the ending of this last episode (17), I just hope that each member of the Jaeger's will die a gruesome dead, especially that little bitch :hell_boy: . I hope Akame takes her time when she cuts her to pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I enjoy some of the light-hearted moments, it's part of the shows appeal for me. I like how the characters, in the main, aren't black and white. They aren't clearly good or evil, which is actually a theme that anime doesn't tend to cover, at least not in my experience. Overall thought, I love the series. I care about the characters, it's consistently entertaining and I love the plot. I don't know about you guys, but this weirdly reminds me of Game of Thrones and the epic fantasy genre in general. It feels like a homage and I fricking love it.

From what I'm told the anime seems to be diving into anime-original territory as of late and likely drift further away from the manga it's adapted from. I find this a bit unfortunate because when this happens it usually turns out worse and it lessens the likely-hood of future seasons.

Personally, I enjoy some of the light-hearted moments, it's part of the shows appeal for me. I like how the characters, in the main, aren't black and white. They aren't clearly good or evil,

Comic relief has nothing to do with being good and evil. It's great that the characters are grey, which is more realistic, but what bothers me is when they are in a fight, people are dying, and 5 minues latter they are all laughing. The characters are saying that they are prepared for people to die, but cmon....If the theme is dark leave the comic stuff out, I mean they can have an episode or two with lighter setting, but not in all of them, especially when the day before one of their friends died. The anime is really great, and I hope it continues that way, but it would be much better without those jokes scenes.

Am I the only one who sees an Esdeath turn? xD

Yeah, I think some people from Night Raid will die soon. I assume that girl with the Pumpkin gun..don't remember her name....