Brave Theme Customizations

Koby

Would it be possible to give each user group there own class? It seems like everyone is under "name" right now with staff and donators  having a color style added to their's.  Could it be set up in a way that the colors are linked to a specific class like described below?

span [class=admin]

{ color : #DC143C 

; font-weight : bold 

}

Then we could have a class setup for all the different user groups.

I pretty much suck at html, so if the isn't possible/necessary than I apologize.

I understand what you mean, but I don't really understand what the point would be (as in how this would actually change how things are)?

The way it's done with usergroup colors is just how IPB does it by default. I've specifically set them via group settings.

Example:

d49a97cab2.png

@MoodKiller, the offline/online thingy is a hook I installed. It auto implements it to each skin; I can probably change the code of the hook around to make it input it elsewhere though. I'll look into later.

• Like 1

I understand what you mean, but I don't really understand what the point would be (as in how this would actually change how things are)?

The way it's done with usergroup colors is just how IPB does it by default. I've specifically set them via group settings.

Well, the only real reason would of been to make it easier for people like myself to style the Brave skin in a way they would prefer. I wasn't aware they were set via IPB, or else I wouldn't of bothered asking. Sounds like it would be too much of a hassle for what I wanted to use it for. Thanks for the explanation though. I'll just have to see if I can find another way to style them.

Well, the only real reason would of been to make it easier for people like myself to style the Brave skin in a way they would prefer. I wasn't aware they were set via IPB, or else I wouldn't of bothered asking. Sounds like it would be too much of a hassle for what I wanted to use it for. Thanks for the explanation though. I'll just have to see if I can find another way to style them.

Theoretically I could <span class="whatever">; but then that'd require adding CSS to each and every skin then remembering to add that CSS to future skins etc... when simply setting the color with style= right then and there settles it. I just didn't understand the need/reasoning of changing that.

I wonder how many people actually alter the styles using those browser addon things. I've had some members lately tell me the whole idea of being able to a change the style of the board by selecting a different theme was completely overwhelming. I found that rather odd since skin selection isn't something new with community forums. For as long as I can remember, forums have given the option to change skins, lol. I guess it just shows how new a lot of the member base is to these sorts of things.

Basically you're wanting to customize the colors yourself via changing css styles loaded right? I'm curious as to what color scheme you actually had in mind. lol.

Theoretically I could <span class="whatever">; but then that'd require adding CSS to each and every skin then remembering to add that CSS to future skins etc... when simply setting the color with style= right then and there settles it. I just didn't understand the need/reasoning of changing that.

I wonder how many people actually alter the styles using those browser addon things. I've had some members lately tell me the whole idea of being able to a change the style of the board by selecting a different theme was completely overwhelming. I found that rather odd since skin selection isn't something new with community forums. For as long as I can remember, forums have given the option to change skins, lol. I guess it just shows how new a lot of the member base is to these sorts of things.

Basically you're wanting to customize the colors yourself via changing css styles loaded right? I'm curious as to what color scheme you actually had in mind. lol.

Well, it's just some tweaking i've been doing to the UserStyle I originally started here. There is an image of the newer one here, but I'm still in the fix one thing brake six phase, so I haven't updated yet. The code is still pretty ugly, and will most likely stay that way, but it's getting the job done for the most part.

I can style the user groups now by the user id numbers, but it's far to much work to do them all. I was hoping there was a way to cheat some how.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to fixing the padding issue as well as the text-transform to be specifically for what I wanted it for instead of the whole bar.

5ac615e24f.jpg

Let me know how you feel about this fix.

I plan on changing the color / design of the actual user menu (the menu with the avatar, username, pm box, notifications, logout, etc..) as I don't like the black color it has when compared with the rest. it just seems out of place.

UPDATE: I also fixed the usergroup styling to display on every page of the forum for users instead of just on the online list and I removed the online/offline badge next to usernames in posts.

• Like 1

I finally got around to fixing the padding issue as well as the text-transform to be specifically for what I wanted it for instead of the whole bar.

5ac615e24f.jpg

Let me know how you feel about this fix.

I plan on changing the color / design of the actual user menu (the menu with the avatar, username, pm box, notifications, logout, etc..) as I don't like the black color it has when compared with the rest. it just seems out of place.

UPDATE: I also fixed the usergroup styling to display on every page of the forum for users instead of just on the online list and I removed the online/offline badge next to usernames in posts.

Its looking really good Koby. Thank you for fixing that. I would personally leave it as it is now. I think it blends really well and follows the theme. Just my 5 cents.

Nice change to the online/offline status as well! I really like that. Its simple yet effective. 

I like first. Stood out more for me, which in this case it looked good.

Maybe I can make it a little darker like the search bar? I just didn't like the black. Nothing else here is full-on black really so it felt out of place. Standing out is one thing, but being out of place is a different thing.

I like first. Stood out more for me, which in this case it looked good.

Maybe I can make it a little darker like the search bar? I just didn't like the black. Nothing else here is full-on black really so it felt out of place. Standing out is one thing, but being out of place is a different thing.

Yeah that sounds like it could work. Haha and fair enough. I like seeing the individual boxes for the user, messages, notification, and signout if that helps at all. 

For now, I've dropped the drop-shadow and border to make it more integrated with the bar:
2e96ffaa5d.jpg
Also restyled the Admin CP, Mod CP, and Report Center links to match.

I got one little issue I'm trying to work out then I might see about making this bar float (stay at the top of the screen as you scroll down).

I'll still look into trying something else though for those that think it doesn't stand out well enough. If nothing else I might make the "register" link pop so to say,

Ah ok... lol, well it does blend nicely, thats for sure. 

I might see about making this bar float (stay at the top of the screen as you scroll down).

Oh yes! Please do this if you can, that would be awesome. 

Otherwise looking forward to the other change that you have planned. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Nekone locked this topic