Summer 2014 Anime Season Preview!

Kouhai

Hi Kametsu!

We're finally into the 9th episode of the current anime season. What does that mean? To me that means it's prime time to start scouting new seasons, the anime that will air in (roughly) a month!
I won't go through all of them. If you want to check out the list, you can look on MAL, AniChart or whichever website you normally use.

I'm going to split this post up in a few parts.

Part A. - Estimated Highlights
Part B. - Estimated Lowlights
Part C. - Kouhai's Pick
Part D. - Anything else goes here___________________________________________________________________

Part A - Estimated Highlights

Barakamon

Studio: Kinema Citrus

Director: Masaki Tachibana
Synopsis:

Taken from MAL
As a punishment for punching a famous Calligrapher, young handsome Calligrapher Handa Seishu is exiled on a small island. As someone who has never lived outside of a city, Handa has to adapt to his new wacky neighbors, like people traveling on a tractor, unwanted visitors who never use the front door, annoying kids using his home as a playground, etc. Can this city guy handle all the crazy hardships? Find out in this wacky island comedy full of innocence and laughter!!!

Kinema Citrus is the studio that did Yuyushiki, and co-produced Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Masaki Tachibana, the director was also the Director of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

That's enough of a reason for me to expect something out of this show. Also, plot feels pretty vanilla, and kind of slice of life(?), Which I do enjoy.

Tokyo Kushu(Ghoul)

Sudio: Studio Pierrot

Director: Shuhei Morita

Synopsis:

Taken from MAL

The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious "ghouls" who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight.

The studio in charge of this one, Studio Pierrot. They've been around for a while, though I can't say I'm the biggest fan of theirs, they do have their history to back them up. Their recent works include Kingdom, and Beelzebub (and others ofc).

I haven't heard of the director before (no, he's not brand new), but hopefully he'll hit this out of the park. The setting seems pretty interesting after all.

<I may move this one out of expected highlights>

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 - Ghost Tears

Studio: I.G.

Director: Kazuchika Kise

Synopsis:

It's ghost in the shell.

Studio is I.G, the guys who did Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan). The Director, Kazuchika Kise, directed the first two parts of the movie, and was also the key animator for the original. If you like Ghost in the Shell, there's a treat for you next season.

./Note:

This is actually taking a lot longer than I thought it would, and my explanations/descriptions are dumbing way down. I'll leave it here for now and continue it later.

Here is a link to the next season.

I was going to talk about SAO a bit, because it did have a lot of hype before it came out and the earlier episodes were pretty damned good.

Overall I felt they rushed it and despite it being pretty decent, could have been a lot better. I'm pretty hyped for SAO2 but a bit worried.

Personally, I'm not that big a fan of black butler, ahah.

Shows I'm watching

------------------------

SAO II, only for the sole reason that even though I hated SAO so damn much and it fails to itimidate or duplicate the epicness that is .hack, but between this and Sailor Moon (another show I hate and shoulda never gotten a sequel), I'm sticking with this, then dropping it after the last ep airs

Tokyo ESP, only because same author in Ga-Rei

Kuroshitsuji III for more butler badassery

Fate/Illya 2wei since first season kicked ass and I've laready read both mangas (there is a third manga so expect a third season of this)

Space Dandy 2

Momo Kyun Sword for....fanservice?

Zankyou no Terror because it has that 9/11 Eden of the East -ish feeling

Akame ga Kill ONLY if it's gory and uncensored (might not watch this)

Francesca (might not watch this)

M3 and Arc-V the only spring shows that's still continuing

By far I think the best in 2014 may be the spring season because for the first time the majority of animes are actually good.

Here are some trailers

Tokyo Kuushu/ Tokyo Gouls

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O4b5psUJJg

Sailor Mon Crystal

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

DRAMAtical Murder

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GlN_oxV4oI

I am not sure on DRAMAtical Murder, some anime that are murder mystery, you can predict the culprit easely, though it might have good fight scenes, and I have been meaning to find the game to check out.

So I will also check out the anime.

Maybe I won't check out the game, found out it was a visual novel, not a fan of visual novels.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

• 4 weeks later...

DRAMAtical Murder, for me. Yes, I'm one of those people.

Same here! So you're not alone!

I just watched the first episode of Free! Eternal Summer~ Love those dorks.

Also excited about Kuroshitsuji.

At first glance, none of the other series appeal to me greatly. I usually jump on a series bandwagon way late, but I let Tumblr hype guide me a little, haha.