Doctor Who

Lantern89

• 1 year later...

As I'm sure a lot of people know already, I love the new Doctor Who series. I haven't seen any of the classic series, but I plan to watch them someday.

As for my favorite Doctor, I have a rather unpopular opinion: Matt Smith is my favorite. I liked all the actors that played the Doctor in the new series, but there's something about Matt's Doctor that I find extremely enjoyable.

Also, some of my favorite episodes are from his run: "The Girl In The Fireplace," "Midnight," "Blink," and "The Family of Blood."

Blink was one of my favorite episodes of all time. The Weeping Angels are definitely the best monsters. However, my absolute favorite episode is either Vincent and the Doctor or The Doctor's Wife.

I was skeptical when they where starting a new series because I believed that nobody could ever replace David Tennant as the Doctor due to the fact that he was perfect at the role. But after I watch the first episode it was evident that there was a new doctor in town. Matt Stone brought back the quirky fun that diminished in the latter half of Tennant's Doctor. Matt Stone is just plain ol' fashion fun.

• 4 weeks later...
"Harry Potter" director David Yates is teaming up with the BBC to turn its iconic sci-fi TV series "Doctor Who" into a bigscreen franchise.

Yates, who directed the last four Potter films, told Daily Variety that he is about to start work on developing a "Doctor Who" movie with Jane Tranter, head of L.A.-based BBC Worldwide Prods.

"We're looking at writers now. We're going to spend two to three years to get it right," he said. "It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena."

"Doctor Who" follows the adventures across space and time of a super-intelligent alien in human form, who battles a variety of cosmic bad guys aided by plucky human companions.

"The notion of the time-travelling Time Lord is such a strong one, because you can express story and drama in any dimension or time," Yates said.

The series ran from 1963 to 1989, and then was successfully rebooted in 2005 by writer Russell T. Davies and subsequently by Steven Moffat ("The Adventures of Tintin"). Tranter oversaw the revival when she was the BBC's drama topper in London.

"Doctor Who," starring Matt Smith as the 11th incarnation of the Doctor, is now one of the pubcaster's most lucrative global TV franchises.

The series airs Stateside on BBC America.

Yates made clear that his movie adaptation would not follow on from the current TV series, but would take a completely fresh approach to the material.

"Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," he said.

Yates and Tranter are looking for writers on both sides of the Atlantic.

"We want a British sensibility, but having said that, Steve Kloves wrote the Potter films and captured that British sensibility perfectly, so we are looking at American writers too," he explained.

There are two previous films, based on the TV series: "Doctor Who and the Daleks" (1965) and "Doctor Who: Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D." (1966), both starring Peter Cushing.

The BBC has since made a few unsuccessful attempts to develop a "Doctor Who" feature, and shot a one-off telepic in 1996 at a time when the TV series was dormant.

But the combination of Yates and Tranter means this is the most high-powered effort to date to launch "Doctor Who" onto the bigscreen.

Before directing "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and both parts of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," Yates worked with Tranter on several BBC TV series, including "The Way We Live Now" and "State of Play."

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046098

Is this the end of the line for The Doctor? Is it a complete move to the big screen or just a visit?

Doctor Who is probably one of the best live action tv shows in existance, and has been running for so long to prove it.

The series has been dying slowly. Ever since Matt took over as the doctor ratings have slowly dropped and storylines have become much less than they were. I think if the series is going to last more than this movie and another season they'll need a new Doctor and some fresh writers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I've seen maybe 10 episodes or so of the new series, but I love the old one. Started watching it from William Hartnell (the first Doctor in 1963) last year, and I'm going through the third Doctor (250-some episodes later) right now.

I'm in the middle of the Tom Baker series myself. Awesome series, old and new!