So the New RoboCop is kinda meh (SPOILERS)

reizerozero

So before I start, this topic will contain Spoilers, I will try not to go into to much detail, but others might do so, so be warned.

Anyway, I went to see it today and while it has some nice moments, that mainly build on the tech side of his armour and how much of "him" is actually left, the film rest of the film doesn't have the social political humour, nor dose it have the balls to have any of the over violence of the original, that gave the original real bite.

The new film actually shows, just how good the original is, Peter Wellers, movements alone somehow make the older version seem more real, his battle to regain his memories or humanity is also a much better story, than the new films plot of let him think he's in control than, dope him when he acts up.

The originals battle with ED209 for all its dated effects have way more bite and flair than, the new robos encounter with 3 that has zero, menace.

The new movie also lacks a real villain, like the originals Murphy Killer and sadly Keaton doesn't work as OCPs sleazy Chainman.

All in all I give the movie a 5, I could say more but I will wait and see if anyone responds with their input.

The new film actually shows, just how good the original is,

No remake can surpass the original source. Maybe a remake of the bad sequels can... :P

While I don't automatically think that all remakes cant be better than the original, I do find it interesting that of all movies, the original Robocop wins this argument in landslide IMO. The new Robocop has none of the wit or social commentary of the original, it doesn't have the ultra violence that, shows delta cities need for a Robocop, the original also parades the violence of 80s movies. As for special effects, sure the new one has the CGI, but maybe the special effects limitations of the time and the suit added to the movements, it gave a sense of weight and strength. The new one bounds about like a rabbit and it looks stupid.

I can say more but its getting ranty and that's not what I want to do.

So what i feared is true. None of the social satire. Damn. That was one of the great things about the original. The violence has been toned down too. Lame. And no charismatic villains like Clarance Bodicker and his gang or Dick jones. Allso the way murphy gets injured compared to the old version puts me off wanting to watch it. He still has one of his arms remaining judging from the trailer and while in the classic only most of his head was used. It may be an ok film but the old one will never be compared to. Will probably not watch it on the big screen then.