15 Posts Requirement Lowered

Koby

I've reduced the 15 post requirement to have the accounts updated to use avatars and access the downloads to a mere single (1) post.

Also the SeeD Hallway (Introduction) board has now been changed to increment post count, thus a new users introduction is all it takes to access everything.

This change was made for several reasons. One being, the need to prevent spam due to an outdated forum software is null since the swap to IPB. We have much better spam management. Other reasons include reducing the useless spam we get so that better quality discussions can take place around the community.

NOTE: Any user with more than 1 post, but less than 15 during the change, will have to make one more post for their account to be flagged and upgraded.

• Like 2

So if a new member just posts a "Thank you" post to Koby here, you will have achieved the previous 15 post requirement in a few seconds :P

*points out the obvious* 

Obviously, but it relieves staff of the duties of suspending users all the time for making 15 thank you posts randomly...

Plus we have a lot of people likely coming from CW who aren't use to such a rule and likely had 100s of posts there and suddenly have to earn their way back in is just mean to them. They're already having to come to a new forum and start over as is despite all they may have contributed at their old home.

I've seen the 1 post rule work fine at another forum, sure it means less posts, but if it's just crap posts we have to shovel through; then whats the point in the first place? Maybe 1 to 2 users legit-ly used the system correctly out of every 10 that registered.. so a big part of the day for staff was spent downgrading and suspending people and that just seemed like wasted effort and time.

• Like 3

I see where you are coming from, I guess then it also frees up the staff and allows them to focus on more important matters/reports.

When you first mentioned that the limit would be reduced, I had no idea about CW joining us, so it sounded a little concerning (members just coming to acquire anime and then distribute it or something to that effect), but your point about them (CW-users) being able to join in here as easily as possible I think will have a greater impact and be better. And like you said, you have seen the 1post requirement work else where, :)

P.s. - Just re-reading what I said, I didnt mean it to come across as being selfish, or jealous that new members can just post 1 post now and unlock everything. Wasnt the intention :) 

Indeed a nice change I am sure there are users who will be happy to only make one post, I know some of the users who start new and want to stay at the forum found 15 posts to get a avatar and signature sort of a annoying obstacle to cross even if it did have it's purposes in the past.

Out of curiosity, what happened to C-W? Is this like some merging of forums/anime communities/encoding groups or more like shutting down due to dmca like some torrent/us***t sites (first rule not suppose to talk about it so hence the stars :-P)

CW forums is ran on outdated free software and spam is a big issue and the owners just don't care about forums... they want CW to go back to being simply an IRC channel for encoding anime and cartoons, etc... so they want to send everyone from their forums here so they can stop having to mess with it.

• Like 1

Yay. Although I have to admit, having something to look forward to was fun, I had no idea that you could have a picture for your background on here.

It's something I coded into this skin. Figured a cover photo looked better than the regular background changer IPB skins offer for profiles. The background changer looked terrible and could barely be seen on this particular skin. So I was like, cover photos go!

Obviously, but it relieves staff of the duties of suspending users all the time for making 15 thank you posts randomly...

Plus we have a lot of people likely coming from CW who aren't use to such a rule and likely had 100s of posts there and suddenly have to earn their way back in is just mean to them. They're already having to come to a new forum and start over as is despite all they may have contributed at their old home.

Exactly :hell_boy: