Under the Dome (TV Series)

poetictragedy

Set in the near future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

Is anyone else watching this show?

Have you read the book?

What are your thoughts on the first episode?

So here's my story:

My mom read the book a while ago and loved it. We both like Stephen King, so she recommended I read the book also. When we heard they were adapting it for TV, I decided to read the book ASAP, before the show started. So then I read the book, and also loved it. One of the best books I've ever read by King.

I haven't heard her thoughts on the last night's episode yet. But I think I need to think of the show as an entity separate from the book. Yes, the pilot was good, by itself. But it strayed so far from the book, I was a little disappointed. As I was saying in the status updates to Dark_Angel13, I loved the book so much, I just want the show to do it justice. Stephen King is listed as an executive producer, so hopefully, it will still be his style. It seems like so many of his books are made into mediocre movie and TV adaptations.

This isn't the first show that has been "loosely based on a Stephen King novel." Syfy's Haven was (very) loosely based on the novella The Colorado Kid. And while I liked both the show and the book, it's obvious they only took a few small pieces from the book to make the show. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I believe Stephen King has said that The Colorado Kid was more of a writing exercise than an actual novel.)

But anyway. I just wondered if anyone else was watching this, and what their thoughts were.

• Like 1

So episode two aired last night.

I'm trying my best to view this show as a completely separate entity from the book, but I still find myself feeling slightly disappointed by the changes. Just gotta keep swimming, I suppose. On the other hand, it's harder to see things coming with the changes. And I consider that a plus.

I keep comparing Under the Dome to Game of Thrones. Both are great books (or a series) adapted for television, and yes, both have been changed. But I feel like GOT was simplified, whereas UTD has been changed in an attempt to improve the story. And I thought the story was perfect as is.

Maybe I'm just a bitter, whiny, elitist, haha.

Edited by poetictragedy

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nooooooooo!

While this season has been better than the last one, I feel like this one was getting us ready for a series finale in Season 4, with what lever "the kinship" was preparing for being the ultimate enemy. So I guess this means we will most likely be getting a cliffhanger ending.

This was such a great summer series and it's upsetting to see it go.

Can't say I'm sad to see it go. Season one was pretty good and left me wanting to find out more about the dome, but it just kept going downhill from there. Season 3 was about as terrible as it could have been so it's no surprise to see it canceled although the deal with Amazon I thought would have kept it going a bit longer anyhow. I just hope they wrap things up with the finale.

• Like 1

Since it is based on a novel there was only so much they could do with it but i have heard it has been changed a lot so they could drag it on. I have missed the last several episodes so i don't know what is happening now. I am glad it will be the last season as i did not think the idea of being stuck in a dome should last for many seasons.