Writers for the Newsletter!

I am writing the bulk of the newsletter to meet the quota of roughly twelve articles per issue. This means unless you are happy with the newsletter being a soapbox I share with Poe, we need writers!

My PM box is always open for people to submit articles. The article guidelines and formatting guide are both public. The FAQ is public. We have a feedback form. We have an application form.

And now, I have added a folder that should be open and accessible to everyone with access to Google Drive where they can drop articles if they don't want to PM me or Poe.

I don't want to breathe down anyone's back to get things done because this is a non-profit project. Most people have either withdrawn due to other responsibilities, have been removed due to lack of activity, or have already fulfilled their commitment, so I can't breathe down their neck even if I wanted.

It seems once the initial wave of interest for any project here fades, it's hard to drum it back up for much longer. I know there's been a continuing issue of retaining content writers for this forum and its sites (if the list of sites at the top of the Brave skin is anything to go by). I don't know if it's because we're too lenient or if the apathetic and lackadaisical atmosphere really is that intoxicating.

If there's anything I can do to make people care about this project and actually get the ball rolling, please let me know. I am flexible and open to suggestions. Just know that I can't make a lot of changes to the forum itself and I can't afford to pay any of you.

Ultimately, I can't make any changes unless someone says something. Otherwise I am just doing things at random in trying to guess what people want.

I'm still going to be writing and posting the newsletter, I'd just rather not have to do so much of it by myself.

ETA: I just wanted people to know that while I want this to be a high quality publication, it doesn't have to be a serious publication. I don't want stolen, paraphrased, or otherwise unoriginal content, so as long as the content is original and abides by forum rules, I don't really care what it's about. I will read it and publish it to the best of my ability.

• Like 1

Haha, all right.

And I'm not mad or annoyed with anyone, it's just something I've been thinking about for a while. I don't want to have to advertise all the time that we need writers since I think that's annoying.

Nor is this a ploy to get comments on the newsletter or its articles. I will provide all of the comments; I need content.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Well I'm not the type of person who really enjoys writing long and extensive articles lol.

Um um but I don't want the Newsletter to die either. D:

The only type of "original" (hardly I think lol) content I've done here are my little weekly episode thoughts for the Samurai Bride anime that I just started doing. I don't know if that would be good Newsletter material though...  I did a word count and it came out to like around 200 words for 2 weeks.  I'd probably just be 2 per issue because of deadlines and such.  So I guess it meets the minimum for an article.  I like to use a lot of images though so again I'm not sure it would be cut out for the Newsletter...

What do you think?

Five hundred words isn't really a lot, haha. But yes, the minimum is indeed a hundred words for flash articles.

It's also for that reason (people not liking to read long posts) I didn't bump up the maximum word count--also six hundred words pretty much fills up the entire page on Publisher, and that's pretty boring to look at.

Lots of images are fine, they just need to fit on a single page on Publisher, haha. And sources are important--actual sources, not Photobucket or Zerochan. If I don't have a legit source on an image, I won't use it in the PDF version.

I can also do two page spreads to accommodate a large number of images; I've mostly been sticking to one page per article because it's been working out that way for a while and it's not something I'm especially attached to.

I will accept almost anything because I will attempt to make just about anything look pretty. Almost anything is newsletter-worthy because I said so. You'd have to try really hard to get me to reject something that isn't blatantly against the rules.

Not to mention that not having to write all of the articles would also mean I have more time and energy to play around with InDesign (which, by the way, is totally crazy, the learning curve is steeeeeeeep) and make something a bit more interesting to look at as I pretend to be a designer.

Straight up, you're amazing to write so many articles for each issue. I struggle with one or two per issue. Sometimes it's because I have a busy schedule at work, and life is keeping me tied down. But more times than not, it's just a lack of inspiration.

Anywho, sorry about being a bit slack with the Kametsu Informer, work kinda killed me the past 3weeks or so. As my schedule is now, I don't really think I have enough time (and inspiration) to write an article every issue. But I'll still write one if something interests me, kind of like an one-shot writer. If that's the case I'll just PM it to you and poe. (and look forward to the editors' skills, to let me know where I can improve it. I actually have a lot of fun being told where/what to change.)

Haha, well, I spend a lot of time on Google and ghosting other fora. I am always learning all of the things. Unfortunately, I am also uninspired all of the time, because while I could write an excess of several thousand words a day, I don't want to turn it into my personal journal or air my stream of consciousness ramblings.

And no worries about not doing anything, I filed you under "completed commitment". o3o

It was my plan all along!

tumblr_m9gclhODl61qzckow.gif

Well this was obvious lol, I've been trying to convince a friend on here to get into this too, I may even get him to message you later EO if that's cool, I think he's hesitant to do it so maybe you can have a chat with him, since me forcing doesn't seem to be working so well haha.

Alright so FFFansubs was a little late getting the show up so I'll pass for this newsletter (today's the deadline anyway).  I'll put up my thoughts on my thread when I finish this episode.  Then I'll hold off on the next 2 for the upcoming newsletter.  We'll see how that goes. :)  

Besides this one sounds like it will be pretty big. *hype hype hype*  Oh and I also need to finish reading the current one and give feedback!

Alright so FFFansubs was a little late getting the show up so I'll pass for this newsletter (today's the deadline anyway).  I'll put up my thoughts on my thread when I finish this episode.  Then I'll hold off on the next 2 for the upcoming newsletter.  We'll see how that goes. :)

Besides this one sounds like it will be pretty big. *hype hype hype*  Oh and I also need to finish reading the current one and give feedback!

Just do a review of FFFansubs instead, and complain about their scheduling!

• Like 1

I basically write the entire newsletter on the deadline because I'm a jerk, haha. The three day period between submission and publication could technically be shortened if I didn't also need that time to write last minute articles.

Procrastination will be the death of me.

I can write about how one day Koby wanted free pizza so badly that he went around asking people to dupe facebooks accounts so that he can get the most likes. :D

Front page material, haha.

• Nekone locked this topic