Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) (Wit Studio)

RazorDan

1 hour ago, Naoto said:

Yeah I don't think they will simuldub it since they'll want to milk it as much as possible and then dub it for toonami. Which makes sense cause they want the want the series to gain as much hype as possible after it has aired.

They could still do a simuldub. In case you aren't aware, Funimation already has done at least 2 simuldubs on Toonami. The first was Space Dandy (which is being done the way Akiba's Trip the Animation was being done on the Funimation site for the first two episodes, but Space Dandy was on Toonami). Then, the second was Dimension W, which was the normal month to month and a half after the JP air date with airing dubbed episodes on Toonami. They are definitely capable of it, but it depends on if they can get the cast together  to do it or not. They are definitely capable of doing it, though.

I know the staff has already mentioned the season 2 isn't delayed so much as they're waiting for the manga, but does anyone else think that maybe the pacing of season 1 is something they'd want to fix in later seasons? It might get "delayed" if they try to do that, because it would require even more material!

1 hour ago, widom said:

I know the staff has already mentioned the season 2 isn't delayed so much as they're waiting for the manga, but does anyone else think that maybe the pacing of season 1 is something they'd want to fix in later seasons? It might get "delayed" if they try to do that, because it would require even more material!

While I'll agree that at times it did feel somewhat slow, especially when they also managed to add recaps every episode... I really don't see them doing that because they were actually already cramming a lot of material in when you do that math, despite it feeling really slow to some people.

Weekly manga chapters have about 20 pages. While Attack on Titan is a monthly manga with about 55 to 60 pages per chapter. Now most anime tend to adapt weekly manga at about 2 chapters an episode. Some of course do a lot less, such as One Piece adapting like basically one chapter into 5 anime episodes; while other shows may occasionally adapt as many as 4 chapters into a single episode. However it is my experience that the average tends to be about 2 chapters per episode, which in this case is equivalent to around 40 manga pages.

Now lets reflect that AoT season 1 adapted 35 monthly chapters (that's nearly three years worth of manga chapters) at 60 pages a chapter. You convert that to the page numbers of weekly manga and it's the equivalent of 105 weekly manga chapters. That is 105 weekly manga chapters within a 25 episode span. The math comes out to 4.2 weekly chapters an episode. Which means AoT actually adapted a lot more content per episode than you'd normally see. Yet despite this some people claim it was too slow. If this is the case, then perhaps the manga is just extremely slow, and despite being drastically sped up in anime form, still manages to feel slow. Either way, one season of anime which aired in the span of half a year, ate up 3 years of manga content. So you can see why there has to be such a long delay between anime seasons.

Given where the arcs ends and such, I'm speculating that Season 2 will end with chapter 70 being adapted, which means we're most likely to be getting another 2-cour season that adapts 35 monthly chapters of material, same as season one. Because otherwise to do anymore would require them to stop the season in the middle of an ongoing arc that hasn't completed yet. Which means if they intended to do more within this season, then season two would have still likely been another two years away from airing at the very minimum.

This also means, we're most likely looking at another 3-4 years before season 3 happens either way at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 8:19 AM, jackbw0890 said:

Good thing Season 2 is almost at the door. It's taken me a lot of willpower to avoid reading further into the story after S1.

Same, there is a prequel thing that came out but was worried it would spoil some stuff

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 0:06 PM, Skeletro said:

Same here. Wit Studio and Tetsuro Araki did a outstanding job with Season 1. Thought the dub turned out great too. Somehow, I managed to avoid all spoilers for Season 2. :D

You think they are going to dub this one too? I hope so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Koby changed the title to Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) (Wit Studio)