I need user input!!

Best way to download encodes/anime!  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which you prefer? a well seeded torrent or file hosters?

• TORRENTS
    • HOSTERS

This is a survey to now how many of you prefer torrents over File hosters or vice versa

(note: to admins, im not sure where to put a topic like this....technically "i need assistance")

Benfits: Torrents are fastest when well seeded, you download at your max ISP speed(expect for those of us with insane internet, its rare to download at ourtop speeds) and fastest way to get files if torrent is dead, all it takes is a simple click from the uploader to re-seed...

Cons: sometimes they dont get re-seeded, only if peers die down

Benfits: File hoster files are always there (when not dead) and the speed is always consistent  depending on your access(free vs preumium) and the file hoster site.

Cons:If links die it can take a very long time before they are re-uploaded especial if there are multiply files, it discourages uploaders to re-upload those files, since the time it takes for uploading and re-archiving the files. you seen many threads died because of that very reason

NOW DEPENDING ON THIS WILL DETERMINED MY COURSE OF ACTION WHEN IT COMES TO RELEASING MY RELEASES

Thank You for your time

and if you can explain y for each choice

Edited by shaqsalazar

voted torrents.

first, filehosts are too expensive. for the price of a premium account with, say, filecloud, you could get yourself a small seedbox and use that to download/upload torrents. free filehosts are a no-go too. they all have some sort of restriction for the free users (storage and/or bandwidth), whereas torrents have no restrictions whatsoever. you also have to think about mirrors, which equals more $$ wasted.

then you have the filehosts removing/loosing the files, be it for dmca or server problems. i personally haven't lost many files to dmca takedowns, i have lost many more due to server problems though. point is, filehosts are less reliable than your home storage/seedbox.

Thread location is fine.

I have no opinion personally since I download so rarely, but I agree with the sentiment you should do what is easiest and/or cheapest for you. You're offering a free service, so if you're leaning towards either option but popular opinion goes contrary to what you want, you shouldn't feel obligated to accommodate downloaders.

• Like 1

Yeah that's too bad that your ISP blocks IRC downloads. That's become my number one way of getting anime now. So my second best would be hosts. My internet provider will send copyright notices if I use torrents so I'll never use those again unless it's legal.

Torrents are ok, only downside I have to them is when I am downloading I seem to seed more than I download (I guess this depends of the file and how popular it is.) But last time I used torrents my uploads was twice what I downloaded and that all goes on how much I download per week so to download a 24GB torrent I used three times that amount in downloads.

So I dont mind torrents but I prefer File Hosts. But your the uploader so what ever you choose and is easiest for you.

Edited by J-Lord

voted torrents.

first, filehosts are too expensive. for the price of a premium account with, say, filecloud, you could get yourself a small seedbox and use that to download/upload torrents. free filehosts are a no-go too. they all have some sort of restriction for the free users (storage and/or bandwidth), whereas torrents have no restrictions whatsoever. you also have to think about mirrors, which equals more $$ wasted.

then you have the filehosts removing/loosing the files, be it for dmca or server problems. i personally haven't lost many files to dmca takedowns, i have lost many more due to server problems though. point is, filehosts are less reliable than your home storage/seedbox.

DEAR GODD!!! CLAP, CLAP, that's exactly how i feel its a annoyance having to reupload

Thread location is fine.

I have no opinion personally since I download so rarely, but I agree with the sentiment you should do what is easiest and/or cheapest for you. You're offering a free service, so if you're leaning towards either option but popular opinion goes contrary to what you want, you shouldn't feel obligated to accommodate downloaders.

i guess you are right....

Torrents are ok, only downside I have to them is when I am downloading I seem to seed more than I download (I guess this depends of the file and how popular it is.) But last time I used torrents my uploads was twice what I downloaded and that all goes on how much I download per week so to download a 24GB torrent I used three times that amount in downloads.

So I dont mind torrents but I prefer File Hosts. But your the uploader so what ever you choose and is easiest for you.

U can lower your upload speed if you want

I prefer torrents.

From a downloader's point of view, even though filehost's have a constant speed, that constant speed can sometimes be like 40 kb/s, taking you a couple of hours to download the file. Hence why I have had to cancel a couple of downloads cause I was going out for a while and I don't like to leave my computer on when I'm not around.

I also prefer torrents, mostly because I have access to my school's internet and I can download pretty fast. At home, I can download fast, just not as much. Filehosters vary for me, but sometimes they offer good speed. It's not torrent speed but it's decent. In the end, whatever you go with is fine with me.

U can lower your upload speed if you want

Then you can tell I haven't been using torrents very often, I find them good when well seeded, as long as im not the all mighty seeder haha lol.

• Like 1

I've never heard of an ISP blocking IRC ports. I'm almost certain it's your firewall doing so.

Either way, you can change the port you connect to IRC with anyhow, so it's impossible to block.

Just google how to change ports.

Anyhow, torrents will soon be dead as more and more copyright holders are fighting to take them offline worldwide. Torrents are the easiest method of tracking downloaders and reporting them as well. Torrents are the only method copyright holders have been targeting downloaders on... All lawsuits and bills have been about torrents. Most ISP's are either blocking torrents, monitoring torrents, or limiting torrent speeds. So I'd have to say filehost.. although XDCC is a lot better option.

Though I have never downloaded anything you offer and I don't have any plans to so my opinion doesn't really matter.

You can scan your ports and see what ports are open/blocked and if indeed your firewall is blocking a port, but has a port open, then you can use ssh to port redirect to an irc port. Also if you choose to use xdcc I'd recommend getting a ovh server and just use linux on it.

maybe not ovh though. they now have a rather low 5tb transfer limit, which can be gone in half a month. from there, it's 10Mbps for the rest of that billing period.

i don't think torrents will die that easily. people will just move to the private trackers, rather than being idiots and downloading from thepiratebay and it's friends (kickasstorrents etc).