Gun Violence and Gun Control

Anras Rune

I understand your point of view and I both agree and disagree with your perception of how guns should be handled. I grew up in a rural area where hunting was the norm and most people kept hunting rifles and/or shotguns for that purpose. Very few ever kept handguns and even fewer would have owned assault rifles.

The issue is that for literally hundreds of years, there has been a consistent manufacturing and production of arms here. Initially, it was a legacy thing related to us having the fear of a homeland attack. In the days before instantaneous communications, there was need for being armed. There was no telling who might come knocking at your door. Nowadays, it's a very different story. 

Our geographical location is odd to say the least. Our northern neighbors are polite and productive. Most of our southern neighbors, not so much. People are people. That means every group is both good and bad. However, poverty pulls the good people into the bad. Often, whether they want it or not. All of South America is plagued with drug violence, and since we are the single largest consumer of the drugs that come from there, they have a huge presence here. Therefore, unfortunately, if they took the guns away now, the cartels and criminal organizations would be the only ones who had them. 

Also, a 3D printer and knowledge of casting and machining is about to make gun control a moot point to begin with. We shouldn't have ever put "the right to bear arms" in the constitution. Unfortunately, anything we put there, no matter how stupid, is near impossible to contest.

At this point, all we can do is police mental states. In the U.S., common sense has went out the window in favor of rights that don't really make sense. Like the state paying for hormones for jailed prisoners. I mean, come the **** on. Our knowledge of the human body and its anatomical correctness or fallacies is so distant we can't even picture it. We know nothing of the brain, its true functions, and  how to observe or diagnose mental issues properly. Still, we think we can diagnose a person born with "the wrong body?" Yeah, we got some work to do.

Edited by bigdizzle3k
  • Like 1

I understand your point of view and I both agree and disagree with your perception of how guns should be handled. I grew up in a rural area where hunting was the norm and most people kept hunting rifles and/or shotguns for that purpose. Very few ever kept handguns and even fewer would have owned assault rifles.

The issue is that for literally hundreds of years, there has been a consistent manufacturing and production of arms here. Initially, it was a legacy thing related to us having the fear of a homeland attack. In the days before instantaneous communications, there was need for being armed. There was no telling who might come knocking at your door. Nowadays, it's a very different story. 

Our geographical location is odd to say the least. Out northern neighbors are polite and productive. Most of our southern neighbors, not so much. People are people. That means every group is both good and bad. However, poverty pulls the good people into the bad. Often whether they want it or not. All of South America is plagued with drug violence and since we are the single largest consumer of all the drugs that come from there, they have a hug presence here. Therefore, unfortunately, if they took the guns away now, the cartels and criminal organizations would be the only ones who had them. 

Also, a 3D printer and knowledge of casting and machining is about to make it a gun control a moot point to begin with. We shouldn't have ever put it in the constitution. Unfortunately, anything we put there, no matter how stupid, is near impossible to contest.

At this point, all we can do is police mental states. In the U.S., common sense has went out the window in favor of rights that don't really make sense. Like the state paying for hormones for jailed prisoners. I mean, come the **** on. Our knowledge of the human body and its anatomical correctness or fallacies is so distant we can't even picture it. We know nothing of the brain, its true functions, and  how to observe or diagnose mental issues properly. Still, we think we can diagnose a person born with "the wrong body?" Yeah, we got some work to do.

Not sure why your transgender thought came in at the bottom but I agree with your gun opinion, albeit your point comes across as unfocused..?

That amendment in the constitution is a strange amendment and was made in a very different time period. The Constitution's purpose is to be changed as time goes on, that's what the founders intended it to be, and in fact was changed a couple of times. That amendment is really vague and open to interpretation, the intent for that specific one should be more clear. It isn't just "a right to bear arms", the context given is a right to bear arms to form a militia in the event the government infringes on your freedoms. VERY DIFFERENT MEANINGS.

Like I said, people aren't calling for fire arms to be banned. People are calling for it to be more restricted. As you guys have it, in some states, anyone can go in and buy a gun. Which is great and all, but it's kinda fucked up. You require a license to drive a car, and are tested to drive it. Why isn't it the same in all states for this to be with guns? Hunters are given hunters licenses to hunt, which should give them access to a gun license for that use.

I find people opposed to gun restrictions automatically assume we mean "TAKE ALL THE GUNS AWAY FUCK YOUR RIGHTS", which we don't. Stop panicking. 

Your 3D printer point might be better stated in the future when 3d printing becomes more cost effective. As it is now, 3D printing a METAL firearm that actually fires MULTIPLE bullets is incredibly expensive, and if not, impossible for now. Quick google search and I was wrong. There is some but it requires a half million dollar 3D printer.

Edited by Natalie

Our geographical location is odd to say the least. Out northern neighbors are polite and productive. Most of our southern neighbors, not so much. People are people. That means every group is both good and bad. However, poverty pulls the good people into the bad. Often whether they want it or not. All of South America is plagued with drug violence and since we are the single largest consumer of all the drugs that come from there, they have a hug presence here. Therefore, unfortunately, if they took the guns away now, the cartels and criminal organizations would be the only ones who had them. 

Also, a 3D printer and knowledge of casting and machining is about to make it a gun control a moot point to begin with. We shouldn't have ever put it in the constitution. Unfortunately, anything we put there, no matter how stupid, is near impossible to contest.

Not sure why your transgender thought came in at the bottom but I agree with your gun opinion, albeit your point comes across as unfocused..?

That amendment in the constitution is a strange amendment and was made in a very different time period. The Constitution's purpose is to be changed as time goes on, that's what the founders intended it to be, and in fact was changed a couple of times. That amendment is really vague and open to interpretation, the intent for that specific one should be more clear. It isn't just "a right to bear arms", the context given is a right to bear arms to form a militia in the event the government infringes on your freedoms. VERY DIFFERENT MEANINGS.

Like I said, people aren't calling for fire arms to be banned. People are calling for it to be more restricted. As you guys have it, in some states, anyone can go in and buy a gun. Which is great and all, but it's kinda fucked up. You require a license to drive a car, and are tested to drive it. Why isn't it the same in all states for this to be with guns? Hunters are given hunters licenses to hunt, which should give them access to a gun license for that use.

I find people opposed to gun restrictions automatically assume we mean "TAKE ALL THE GUNS AWAY FUCK YOUR RIGHTS", which we don't. Stop panicking. 

Your 3D printer point might be better stated in the future when 3d printing becomes more cost effective. As it is now, 3D printing a METAL firearm that actually fires MULTIPLE bullets is incredibly expensive, and if not, impossible for now. Quick google search and I was wrong. There is some but it requires a half million dollar 3D printer.

Natalie, I hope all is well. I am more than positive that post came across as unfocused. However, even so, there was at least a small amount of method to its madness.  I was up and awake around 36 hours when I wrote that and wrote it with little to no reason to do so. I believe in freedom, period; thus, I neither judge, nor feel any affinity or disdain for people who idenitfy as trasngender. My point on that front was how ridiculous it is that every little issue somehow ends up costing states and taxpayers money. I feel confortable in my own skin and I cannot say that I have ever felt displaced in my own body. However, my point was that there is no reason states and taxpayers should be concerned with identity disphorias for those whom are imprisoned. When they foot the bill, I say do whatever you want and I will be happy for you. Nonetheless, when I foot the bill, not so much. That statement wasn't a rebuttle or protest to them, but rather, our government's priorities when balancing the checkbook.

Ok, now about what I think... I never stated what I think about gun control previously. I was simply throwing out the popular arguments I always hear. I think having guns, in any way, is stupid and makes no sense whatsoever. Personally, I find that killing in a rage or fury is far too easy, especially if one button can do it. A temporary break with reality can become a lifelong, and terrible, situation. Communications are now redundant and widespread. We no longer have any need for guns. I agree there should be better ways of determining who is best suited to own them; however, that poses a bigger problem. In order to do that, we must break the ultimate taboo. We have to admit that some people are better than others. While deep down we know it is true, 'merica is politically correct to such a fault that common sense exists only as a metaphor now.

People are widely different and varied. Some are smarter than others, naturally. Some are average, but push to become brilliant. Some are uninteligent and aren't capable of very much. Some are kind, gracious, and generous to everyone they interact with. However, some are just bad seeds. Unfortunately, we are so politically correct, that we cannot announce a person has flaws until they do something that proves it. I don't know that we can rise above this issue.

I understand your point of view about "changing" the constitution; however, (lol) that's not going to happen. If you examine the polls, it is easy to see that more people wish to abolish guns altogther than wish to keep them. Believe it or not, the constitution has only been ammended 17 times in 239 years. The last of which, was in 1992, and pertained to congressional salaries not being changed mid or partial term. If that is an indicator, it should be clear. While meant to be fluid, the constiution is carved out of stone.

The truth is that the U.S. has stopped making social progress for fear of hurting people's fee-fee's. In regards to waiting periods, background checks, and the like, if we can get the public to admit that people are different, then their might be some hope. However, it won't happen in my lifeitme. If it does, dinner and drinks are on me. Lol, I see you are in Canada. Guess I can send you a giftcard or something.

p.s. - I work in a multiple-specialty engineering field. Three weeks ago, on a bulk trash pickup day, I went around and collected  a couple dot-matrix printers, a couple inkets, and a scanner. I used this junk to build a 3D printer with highly-accurate 0.22 degree stepper motors and extreme print quality. I used only junk. With forethought, I was able to print molds, parts, and tools needed for making a gun. I then cast them in a high-carbon steel in my backyard forge, and milled them to perfection on a metal lathe. I was able to make several firearms from waste products. One doesn't need a 500k printer to make a firearm. They simply need a particular set of skills. (pun intended)

Edited by bigdizzle3k