Do you like music for the lyrics or the sound?

Ichiyasha

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like music for lyrics or sound?

Aww, man, I thought there would be more joke votes for "I hate music".

And yeah, I can't really imagine being too into a song that I hated the sound of, even if I loved the lyrics. That's what covers are for! I can sort of abide by lyrics I don't like, but I would likely make fun of the song, haha.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

While lyrics help to get into the song and can hold a lot of meaning, for me it is the sound that carries the real emotion of the song. There are songs that I like in languages I don't understand. I have not found translated lyrics for all of these songs, but that doesn't keep me from liking them. Regardless of that, there have been more songs that I liked the lyrics of but disliked the song once I heard the sound than songs which I liked the sound of but disliked when I found out what the lyrics were.

Both for me. I first like a song for the sound, but I listen to the lyrics and let them greatly influence my liking of the song. I really prefer lyrics to be meaningful, and not all about drinking, partying and judging someone based on their outer appearance, but if it sounds good enough i'll like it.

Though I do listen to classical music, which, unless it's opera, has no lyrics. There's also dubstep, which is pretty much just about the sound, and any lyrics become part of the music. Those two genres I listen to not about the lyrics.

Haha, well, while a lot of mainstream hits may be about blow jobs and partying, there's usually at least one song on the rest of the album that isn't about getting paper or being angry that the guy you dumped isn't unhappy. And it's not like society/fifteen year old girls just has/have horrible taste--overplayed as she is, Adele's hits weren't typical party tunes.

But yeah, I have quite a few songs in my collection that are in languages I don't know, but I've never felt compelled to find translations--I just enjoy the singing and the overall sound, haha. It could be about how horrible it is to have itchy balls and I would never know because it's such a good song.

tumblr_m9gcuvmluS1qzckow.gif

• Like 1

I have quite a few songs in my collection that are in languages I don't know, but I've never felt compelled to find translations--I just enjoy the singing and the overall sound, haha. It could be about how horrible it is to have itchy balls and I would never know because it's such a good song.

This pretty much sums up anything I could say tbh. Luckily, most of the time beautiful songs that have singing that match it have good lyrics u wu

When it comes to death metal, it's all about lyrics for me. If it's not talking about murder/decapitation/mutilation in great detail, then I'm not interested. Hardstyle is all about the sound, with the lyrics usually just samples tossed in and spammed around.

• Like 1

Emotional Outlet, since the second time you mentioned songs about itchy balls, you appended Hungarian to it, can I assume that you listen to Hungarian songs? Could I impose upon you to throw out a youtube link to a song or two you like? When I visited Budapest, I found people to be a lot more helpful and nice than in many capitals, but the only song I heard while I was there was Party Rock Anthem. Needless to say, I'm a bit curious to see what passes for an actual Hungarian song.

I'd say when I was younger, I used to like music for the sound; to this day, I still do. However, I still look more into the lyrics than I did then. You know, when you're a little kid - you'll sing lyrics to a song and not even actually know what the song is really about? I grew out of that after awhile, I actually built an interest in the music I listened to. I'll admit the sound is what defines the song; and any artists can spit out rhymes or lyrics and say its music, but it takes skill to dish out a mixture of the two to create something that so many people can like.

Like right now, I'm listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tvYCryfWGu8 A Remix of Chrono Trigger's Corridors of Time, doesn't need lyrics at all; I might be interested in a version that had lyrics but beautiful music like this is fine just as it is.

Then there are some songs that I appreciate punk versions more of than their originals. In my Head by Mayday Parade for example, I like the original, but the cover is beastly imo for my personal tastes.

I listen to a pretty wide range fo music including a lot in lanaguges I know maybe half a dozen words in but to me understanding the lyrics is secondary to the music! I'll google lyric translations sure but often they come up pretty weak trying to convey the same sentiment in English and i wont let a dodgy translation spoil my enjoyment of a great piece of music. Gackt is one of my favoruite artists but i know maybe a dozen words in Japanes but still enjoy his music. Of course there are songs that the lyrics just hook you and you can't get them out of your hear (in a ood way!).

Well, kind of a combination for me. The music has to be there to complement the lyrics, as if the music is a soundtrack to the story you're hearing, in my opinion.

That's why I fell in love with AFI, as I seem to be saying over and over. Their lyrics are beautiful, and the music complements them in such a way that creates such a fitting atmosphere for the message they're trying to convey.