Do you like music for the lyrics or the sound?

Ichiyasha

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like music for lyrics or sound?

When you enjoy music, do you think it's for the sound or the lyrics?

I think sound, and i think most people would too. Many say they like lyrics more, but I disagree with this because if lyrics were really that important, people would be way more open minded about music, and I bet metal and rock would be more mainstream than it is now.

Don't get me wrong though, I think lyrics are important, but I think sound is way more important because it definites the definition of what you like. If the lyrics are awesome and/or are relatable to you, you'll enjoy the song even more. That's my belief anyways. :)

• Like 1

I hate music. Music is the work of the devil and anyone who says otherwise is possessed by demons. It's an unholy abomination, a grating cacophony of immoral behaviours and lewdness. We cannot allow this travesty to continue.

REPENT

Anyway. I guess both. I have sat down and looked at the lyrics of some metal songs and could not relate. Of course, I have also sat down and looked at the lyrics of some rap songs and also could not relate, but for different reasons--mainly that my street cred is lacking and I am not hip on the lingo.

They're both important, unless the song is in a language you don't understand. Then it doesn't matter much what the lyrics say.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WteF0j5gYGk

• Like 2

Both for me. Having studied musical theory, I think the actual music is very important. I love hearing unique melodies and hooks, and often will listen to a song just because the music is catchy. There are some really great instrumental bands that I often feel have been overlooked, such as Animals as Leaders. I looked into them because they were included in the lineup of a concert I was going to, and they blew me away; the difficultly level of the songs they play, and just how awesome their songs are.

On the other hand, lyrics are also really important to me. Well-written, meaningful lyrics can be hard to come by, especially if you're listening to music society deems popular (coughNikkiMinaj, though catchy she may be).

There's nothing better than finding a band that can pull of great music and lyrics together.

Edited by poetictragedy

I like music for the sound as well. There are some songs where I have downloaded them because of their lyrics but usually the sound of the music is what gets me to buy. When I first listen to a song, I'll listen to the sound and if I like the sound or a certain part of the lyrics catches my attention, I'll end up buying the song. Of course, if the lyrics are just absolutely pointless it does take away from the song for me to the point I wish I could find just the instrumental version without the singing.

Edited by Serafinastar

• 3 weeks later...

It always depends on what you are listening. There are songs with no lyrics and songs with no music (almost [Acoustic for example]). ^_^

I like Both, I always want to know the lyrics because it's interesting to know about what is the song, how the writer expresses it and how the melody fits with lyrics.

Edited by Mr.Z

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...