Is it ok to teach kids to fight?

Minkseru

Discussing anything with the kid is welcome, nowadays they are going to learn everything by themselves anyway, so it had better come from you, that way you can at least put it right. Besides, spending some time with offspring, doing anything, is good enough.

The child's gonna find trouble at some point, so he better not harm himself or the opponent trying to mimic what he's seen in that Jackie Chan movie the other day. Either that, or he'll be picking up a stone or something sharp and pointy to defend himself, going for eyes and such, and i'd rather he just kicked the other guy below the knee instead. Knowing how to handle oneself in a fight adds to confidence, it doesnt mean the kid's gonna go terrorizing the neighborhood. If he doesnt know right from wrong and is into bullying, he'll find a way to hurt others' feelings without knowing how to land a punch, so its not about fighting, its about morale, the two can be separate.

• 2 weeks later...

Meaning you teach them to fight or not

well duh?! i am going to make them Superior than the other children even if they hate me for that

Well, you could teach them to be so intimidating or charismatic that they would never have to get into fights. So the question was pretty valid.

actually,the more intimidating you look,the more some dumbass attention seeking kid will want to bug ya

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At a young age (below 10), teach them how to block. And then lead them onto how to counter hit following a block.

If you teach them how to punch people outright, they will punch people.

Nobody's kid is perfect, and maintaining calm focus during these years - it's plain not going to be 100% of the time (temper tantrums) and you'd be naive to think otherwise.

Now at a slightly older age or after a few too many fights (10+) then you can teach them about striking.

At this point they at least have the capacity to realize they will be creating trouble in an emotional state. They're concerned with their image.

They understand consequences fully enough to make a call that attacking is not a good idea to get what they want.

The easiest way to explain this is that anyone can throw a punch in anger, but it takes a calm mind to not be hurt yourself.

So you want to train this instinct, self preservation, with avoiding injury above disabling the attacker. To avoid injury you must remain calm.

And being calm is the essence of self defense. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think yes, but they need to only use it in self-defense. I mean if you had a son and some kid started a fight with him,

I think he has every right to fight back. If you had a daughter and some asshole tried to rape her.. It would be good

if she at least had the sense to kick him as hard as she should in the balls.. lol

For self-defense I have no issue with that.