Is it ok to teach kids to fight?

Minkseru

I think it's fine, provided they are taught responsibility as well. Most martial arts do teach discipline as well, which is good. I remember doing karate for a couple of years, and I am obsessed with martial arts films. (Donnie Yen and Bruce Lee used to be my idols)

But, trying to be like my idols in certain circumstances had gotten me into trouble. I remember once when I was in highschool, I refused to back down when a group of others were trying to intimidate me. There were five of them, and they ended up beating me up pretty bad, but I gave them a good run for their money. I managed to break one of their noses and dished out a handful of bruised faces and black eyes, so I was pleased with myself even though they did get the better of me. The fight only stopped upon the arrival of some teachers, and I probably would have carried on until they gave up if the teachers hadn't shown up.

It didn't do me any favours to begin with, but the people who ganged up on me were a hell of a lot more weary around me since then. Word got round how I stood up against five others, and I got a lot of respect for that.

Now don't get me wrong. I would sooner walk away from a fight, but these guys had me cornered. I usually hate fighting, unless it's drunken/play fighting.

But anyways. I think it is right for children to be taught how to hold up in a fight. It's then up to the parents to teach them not to go looking for one.

• 4 months later...

I probably mentioned it already, but...

Teaching WHEN to fight is much more important than teaching how to fight. Once they have when and why down, then you teach them how. You also should teach where (Choose your ground carefully if you can.)

Teaching how to avoid a fight is also very important. I realize that some people hate running away, but honestly? If the other guy's objective is to hurt you, and yours is to not get hurt, you can't do much better than getting the hell out of there. If he's going to catch you, choose a spot that is advantageous to you, turn and fight. There is no such thing as a fair fight when it comes to real world situations. You fight to incapacitate, or you fight to escape.

• Like 1

I've taken a few self-defence classes, both in and out of the military, as well as a few private lessons from friends. There's a lot of dumb mistakes you can make and a lot of learned behaviours/automatic reactions that don't benefit you in a fight--unlearning those bad habits and rebuilding new ones take time. Even something as simple as throwing a fist takes time to learn. It always frustrates me when people make fun of people in beginner classes for making mistakes like throwing a punch with your right while also kicking with your right leg when asked to do combinations. Not everyone has proper technique and form ingrained from the start.

When it comes to little kids, I definitely agree one of the first things that should be taught is restraint, when it's appropriate to fight and when you should run. If your kid's first reaction is to throw a telegraphed right hook followed by a telegraphed left hook (because their opponent predictably caught their right), even though they've been learning in classes the proper way to punch, they're better off running than trying to remember where their feet should be to perform a hip throw. When I'm under pressure, there's some stuff I know intellectually that goes right out the door because that's not stuff I know instinctively.

Completely.  I never said we want our children to only know how to fight.  I want them to be able to get out of a fight if possible, but if they are in a situation where there is nowhere to run...then I want them to be able to know how to fight long enough to make an opening so that they can run then.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me it depends on the kid AND the martial art.

If you have a kid that wants to learn things like Jiu Jitsu/Kickboxing (yes list) then yeah, have at it. However if he or she wants to learn things like Kung Fu/Ninjitsu (no list) and other ancient techniques that cause more severity than others then definately not.

Yes list - Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, Karate, Boxing, Judo, Aikido, Taekwondo, Tai Chi (Waterbending form)

No list - Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, Goshinkwai, N. Shaolin (Firebending form), Qi Gong, Dim Mak, Wushu, Eskrima, Systema, Keysi Fighting Style, Savate, Ninjitsu, Kendo, Kali, Kung Fu, Shaolin , Kenpo, Ba Gua (Airbending form), Hung Gar (Earthbending form)

In all, the versions of Kung Fu, Military styles and Ninjitsu are the ones I'd prevent my kid from doing the most until the right age/maturity.

You suposed to start all forms of martial arts at a young age, and all can be deadly, it all depends on the kid.

The more stuff they know, the better, same with martial arts styles.

Those kids that compeate in world widw martial arts tournaments, there are some that do ninjutsu to, and they can beat the adults, but that is a carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

what is there to teach?

that stuff comes natural

what needs to be taught is confidence as from my experience and observation thats what people lack

as soon as the kid gets angry enough to stop thinking they fuck up the shit out of the other kid

quick story was the annoying "bully" ryte?hed walk around the class touching taking taunting etc but no one really cared as it was more as if he were a child.

then a kid was walking up to teacher desk and the kid blocks em from getting past by getting and staying in his way

other kid after half a minute knocks the damn wind out of the boy and it looked like he was gonna die O.o xD

kid got in trouble but it shut the other kid up

Well to be honest theres lots of idiots out there where i live so it can be looked at 3 ways 1 if its martial arts classes they will be taught discipline through that 2 if there taught by someone with a good head on them so they know when to do it and 3 and has HeavenlyClassic just pointed out it comes Naturally so how i think of it.

• Like 1

recalling my years in hs

its those kids "trained" in martial arts that were the most irritating to be around

whilst im sure the "teachers" say such things,its all rubbish

please note,there are some who dont end up that way

as i had a friend who did that for how many years? followed by football so he was ridiculously buff i mean you couldnt even poke him haha

but he was the kindest person ive ever met

...altho that may just be because i knew him since like age 5 xD

Edited by HeavenlyClassic

• 2 weeks later...

Teaching kids too fight for self defense, what a load of bull.

My years in highschool there'd be those guys(sometimes girls) who would go for self defense lesson(in the form of martial arts and so forth)

And what do these guys do, they go around wanting others to fight them, or they want to test their skills on the other students.

Sad to say I could never stand up to them and neither could my friends. But thankfully they never picked a fight with me.

I didn't have to go to these places to learn basic fighting skills like punch,kick,duck,evade and push.

I feel you should only teach kids to fight if they are being bullied, other than that, no ways. Your kid might end up became an asshole.

• Like 1

making sure your child is confident and has good morals is whats important

the kids that are unconfident and feel they have no one to go to,are the ones that will get picked on and eventually possibly do something "crazy" like bring knife or gun and seriously wound the bad child

of course thats when the "adults" will finally intervene except theyll be on the bully's side.

nao that the "out of control" child has gone "mad"

because the other kid was just "playing" around with him >.>

lmao

Teaching kids too fight for self defense, what a load of bull.

My years in highschool there'd be those guys(sometimes girls) who would go for self defense lesson(in the form of martial arts and so forth)

And what do these guys do, they go around wanting others to fight them, or they want to test their skills on the other students.

Sad to say I could never stand up to them and neither could my friends. But thankfully they never picked a fight with me.

I didn't have to go to these places to learn basic fighting skills like punch,kick,duck,evade and push.

I feel you should only teach kids to fight if they are being bullied, other than that, no ways. Your kid might end up became an asshole.

I think that there a few problems with that point of view, not that you are not entitled to it, but that at the time you are in high school you have this major issue called hormones.  I and a few of my friends used to spar outside our assistant and vice principal's offices, along with the parole officer.  Of our group I had the least martial training, everybody else had years in shaolin, kick boxing, and Jiu jitsu for the most part, but we were all pretty much chilled out people, possibly in large part to being gamers in addition, but I have met few people who take their martial arts seriously who are jerks about it.