Forum Superlatives!

Well, since the rollback we lost the superlatives and I was not creepy enough to keep a list of the winners. Whoops. Everyone has the best dance moves! Excellent. We'll have an unannounced party at someone's house, like a flash mob. And eat lots of pie.

Anyway, we'll definitely have them again in December, but I was curious if people were interested in it being a quarterly affair. Running it semiannually would be June and December. Quarterly would add March and September. I personally don't mind running it more often, but just wanted to gauge interest in whether people think it's worth pursuing. I don't think it'll run much more often than quarterly (yearbooks only run them once a year!) but there's always room to change and grow. Bear in mind I'm always receptive to ideas for other community events on the forum.

Also, I'll need some input on categories, so if you guys want to make any suggestions, go ahead and throw them out there. I'll compile yet another list of them to have ready for autumn or winter, whichever we decide.

Again:

1. Would you rather superlatives be run semiannually or quarterly?
  2. Please give suggestions for superlatives.

Forum superlatives are like the best off something.

For example:

Most likely to like things: EO

Best at making ramen spaghetti: Rei

Best at greeting new members: Reptoholic

Best at everything: lolrawr

Everyone nominates people in the given categories.

Also yeah I'm ok with quarterly. Not too sure what type of categories would be good though... I'll leave that to everyone else. ;)

Edited by lolrawr
  • Like 2

Yes, it's as lolrawr said.

You know how in yearbooks they have "Most likely to be a lawyer!", "Best smile!", and "Cutest couple!"? Those are superlatives. As mentioned, we had a set of superlatives run in June, but they were lost in the rollback. They're just a fun way to bond with each other and gives people something to "strive" for, if that's your kind of thing.

Ah, I see. Basically what my highschool did for the senoirs that were graduating. I would say quarterly...

Best at making ramen spaghetti: Rei

Ramen Spaghetti is definitely one of my specialties. LOL

Edited by Sakura Rei

When I was looking through the addons for IPB I found a bunch of like user achievement art thingies. Perhaps actually having public and official recognition of people's achievements in a superlative vote would be something to look at after we've stabilized in a few months. Do you mind queueing the idea up for Koby and telling him later in case I forget? I'm totally willing to have another vote anyway (since I missed the last one).

So I am no longer the baby eater? Oh damn *hides the partially cooked baby leg* I guess we'll have to start again! lol

I reckon semiannual would be better. That way only the real regulars get a chance to be voted in. Also, I think a non changeable set of areas would be better.

But I reckon we need to get used to the changes first. I mean a like button on kametsu?! How fresh! Kinda glad that wasn't in place oh so long ago... lmao

I don't mind having the forum superlatives quarterly, but that's just my thought. Also i have to agree with Rune's logic on trying to have it semiannually meaning that only regulars would get a chance here. But the forum superlatives are supposed to be for fun (aren't they??), so giving the n00bs a chance shouldn't be any trouble. So basically both ways works for me. In one way, we will have the fun more frequently and in the other way we might have more accurate results.

Having flexibility in the categories is because this is completely not serious and just for funsies, yes. I'm not really going to keep a database of these because that's pretty silly and a lot of work! Increasing the frequency to quarterly would increase the chance of some new person showing up and seeing we're currently running superlatives and hence gain interest in the community. And it does give people more opportunity to be nominated for particular categories since it would stay on people's minds longer.

As for getting used to the new software, even if we bumped it to quarterly, the next one wouldn't be until September regardless, so there'd be plenty of time to adjust, haha.

The frequency can always be reduced if we have enough regular community events that this becomes taxing, but as of now it's not a big deal. The only other community event we have on tap is MOTM, which is currently on hold until the start of the new month, so if you guys have any ideas for events, I'm always open to suggestions.

This sounds good to me, thanks for the explanation. It will give people something to work for, but I just hope it doesn't cause people to start spamming every post in hopes of winning, even if its a little something, people will do some crazy things. Do yo have any ideas on categories?

This sounds good to me, thanks for the explanation. It will give people something to work for, but I just hope it doesn't cause people to start spamming every post in hopes of winning, even if its a little something, people will do some crazy things. Do yo have any ideas on categories?

I also agree with this. Even little things...people do crazy things for stuff.

I agree with the semiannual and the quarterly opinions. I would still vote for quarterly.

• Like 1

Haha, I sincerely doubt anyone will be able to spam their way into winning anything. Besides, people already spam to get into the downloads, so it makes little difference, especially when there is little to no tangible reward for "winning".

The last set of categories ran something like:

This person is: Creepy, badass, helpful, most likely to beat someone up for me, most likely to show up at my house unannounced

You want to: buy this person a drink, start a vigilante superhero group with this person, meet this person in real life

Best: Graphics, hair, pie recipe, dance moves

There were more, but I didn't exactly retain the information, so there'll be a new set of categories. Aside from numerous, I don't really see how anyone would be able to spam their way into any of these, even if it mattered that much to them. They would have to put a lot more thought into it than that, haha.

Haha, I sincerely doubt anyone will be able to spam their way into winning anything. Besides, people already spam to get into the downloads, so it makes little difference, especially when there is little to no tangible reward for "winning".

The last set of categories ran something like:

This person is: Creepy, badass, helpful, most likely to beat someone up for me, most likely to show up at my house unannounced

You want to: buy this person a drink, start a vigilante superhero group with this person, meet this person in real life

Best: Graphics, hair, pie recipe, dance moves

There were more, but I didn't exactly retain the information, so there'll be a new set of categories. Aside from numerous, I don't really see how anyone would be able to spam their way into any of these, even if it mattered that much to them. They would have to put a lot more thought into it than that, haha.

Ok, I was thinking it was different than that. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

So tech it's like an award system. Hmm... sounds good to me of course but there is a tad downside since some things might end up to those that are popular ya know sounding like a complete popularity contest.

Still limitations I'm sure is applied like can't be nominated twice in a certain given period.

:embarrassed: Sorry if i sounded a tad clueless yakno

• Like 1

Guys.

Guys.

This is for fun! It doesn't actually mean anything! It's Whose Line Is It Anyway and none of the points matter.

Just because Apollo was voted to have the best dance moves or everyone says they want to buy J-Lord a drink doesn't mean we've all actually seen Apollo dance or that I'm gonna pony up twelve bucks to buy J-Lord a beer! I don't care if every time we have these, Llama wins numerous posts or Bluenoser wins longest posts or Rune eats all of the babies. That's just what they're known for and an indication I need to change up the categories because it's getting boring.

You can view it as a popularity contest if you want, but that doesn't change the fact people were happy to see they were nominated for a category--forget about winning, some people think I write long posts and have a sweet wig! Even Java was tickled when he was nominated as helpful. People were amused to see Koby suddenly shoehorned into the "intimidating" category just because he made a comment about it. lolrawr made a sweet badge with a bunch of llamas on it for numerous posts because this is a classy establishment and that "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign means business.

You can definitely expect to have results from the threads after all the votes have been tabulated, but don't assume that Koby is going to implement a system to have these things show up in the sidebar under your avatar! It might be in bad taste to have "Baby Eater" or "The One Who Dates Criminals" under your name anyway, haha.