Measures I'm Considering.

Koby

ah~ I came up with another idea. what if we make a rule where your posts have to be a certain length. Not anything super long, but how about at least two lines? this way, people are contributing to the discussion. we can avoid some of the "lolz I liek ff7!!!" posts. a minimal amount of content will be necessary in the posts. it may help to keep discussions lasting a little longer as well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah~ I came up with another idea. what if we make a rule where your posts have to be a certain length. Not anything super long, but how about at least two lines? this way, people are contributing to the discussion. we can avoid some of the "lolz I liek ff7!!!" posts. a minimal amount of content will be necessary in the posts. it may help to keep discussions lasting a little longer as well.

The only way that could be accomplished is if we installed a point system. (I.E. you have certain amount of points per post, longer the post, more points you get.) Then we set a point limit to see the download section. I doubt that'll happen.

I didn't mean something quite that complicated. Simply two line posts. And if someone makes a meaningless 3 word post or something, then the mods could give them a warning, or a suspension from downloading anime. or something like that! ^^;

I didn't mean something quite that complicated. Simply two line posts. And if someone makes a meaningless 3 word post or something, then the mods could give them a warning, or a suspension from downloading anime. or something like that! ^^;

The problem is though, that we have no way of keeping track of EVERY member to see the length or quality of their posts. Hell even with 2 lines or more in a post, it can still be spam. Like they could right:

"My favorite game in the series in Final Fantasy 7. I love it so much, it's the best game of all time in my opinion!"

And just do that with like 5 different topics, plus their introduction is like a 2 post freebie. 1 Post for the initial thread, another one thanking people for the welcome. It's actually pretty easy to make 5 posts and make them look like you're not just posting to get to the downloads. That's why I think it should be a little more, or some kind of measure that shows that you're actually posting thoughts and ideas rather than just posting for the sake of you e-peen growing because your post count is high.

Like I'm not even suggesting like 50 or so posts. I'm suggesting like 15, because that's a decent amount. Hell if it were me, I'd set it to 50, to hell with new comers, if you're coming here just to download, then there's no real hope they'll become active members, so lets reserve downloads for those of us that actually ARE. No way in hell someone is going to spam 50 posts before they get banned. Plus having to wait 30 minutes to unlock to downloads anyways? I mean I know we're trying to encourage people to be active without forcing them, but really, if all they want is downloads, it's not going to change. You may get like 1 or 2 people who have a change of heart, but it's not worth the other 30-50 who will just leech and make more work for the uploaders.

I'd bet anything, that I could log on from another IP (or just hide my own), make another account, make 5 posts that actually look legit, and start downloading and not get caught. If I can do it, what's stopping anyone else? Nothing. I know we're not trying to punish them, because they're not causing trouble if they aren't spamming, but why should they be allowed to take things with no contributions, while other people here actually participate on this forum?

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness, I'm almost afraid to post now, but I read through the whole thread (and some like it that where locked already) and I really like to show another point of view.

This is only my 2nd post (I know, shocking) because I am when it comes to forums foremost a lurker. When I read a thread and someone already posted something in it that reflects my opinion on whatever theme discussed in said thread I see no reason to retype it in my own words nor am I a friend of "my thoughts exactly"-posts (which I believe would be counted as spamming anyway). Or sometimes I just read threads to get some different Opinions on an Anime I don't know before deciding if I'd like to download and watch said Anime.

The other reason, or maybe this is still part of me being a lurker, is that even if I am a member I don't want to spend hours on end in a forum. Trying to keep up with every forum/community I am a member of would take a mass amount of time and even if this sounds selfish I just don't want to spend that much time on the internet. Sure one could argue that I should just drop out of some of those forums/communities but let's be honest, if you join a forum or community you do so for a reason and just because you're not online every day or week doesn't mean you're no longer interested.

I did download Anime from here and I did thank the uploader - which is my only other post - though it seams it still got deleted, although in said post I did not just thank them but also gave a reason why I love the Anime from this page/forum.

As I read that you need at least 5 posts to gain access to download again, I'm not going to lie and say it didn't cross my thoughts to just Post in some active threads my two cents so to speak and be gone again. but then I read you could also get a subscription (which in my opinion really does help a page like this as there are costs to keep it up and all) but what threw me off that path was that a subscription once gained automatically renews itself after the time runs out and thus will draw money from your paypal account again regardless of the user being online or not.

And as I don't visit a forum/community I'm a member of for sometimes months (lurker here, remember) and I really see no reason to pay for that time automatically. Also I didn't find that donation button I read about which I guess would be a one-time payment (maybe I'm just blind and someone can point me towards it?) but then I'd really like to know if that donation would be associated with the user and thus giving access for an amount of time.

Could that maybe a small solution to give leachers like myself (since with me only having two posts with this one and the first being deleted while still having downloaded basically makes me one I guess) a chance to download for a limited amount of time through donating without needing to spam the forum and without a renewing subscription? This way you could also up the number of required posts a bit to really scare off spammers.

Wow...that was quite a rant...

edit: just added the last idea with the uped posts number

My goodness, I'm almost afraid to post now, but I read through the whole thread (and some like it that where locked already) and I really like to show another point of view.

This is only my 2nd post (I know, shocking) because I am when it comes to forums foremost a lurker. When I read a thread and someone already posted something in it that reflects my opinion on whatever theme discussed in said thread I see no reason to retype it in my own words nor am I a friend of "my thoughts exactly"-posts (which I believe would be counted as spamming anyway). Or sometimes I just read threads to get some different Opinions on an Anime I don't know before deciding if I'd like to download and watch said Anime.

The other reason, or maybe this is still part of me being a lurker, is that even if I am a member I don't want to spend hours on end in a forum. Trying to keep up with every forum/community I am a member of would take a mass amount of time and even if this sounds selfish I just don't want to spend that much time on the internet. Sure one could argue that I should just drop out of some of those forums/communities but let's be honest, if you join a forum or community you do so for a reason and just because you're not online every day or week doesn't mean you're no longer interested.

I did download Anime from here and I did thank the uploader - which is my only other post - though it seams it still got deleted, although in said post I did not just thank them but also gave a reason why I love the Anime from this page/forum.

As I read that you need at least 5 posts to gain access to download again, I'm not going to lie and say it didn't cross my thoughts to just Post in some active threads my two cents so to speak and be gone again. but then I read you could also get a subscription (which in my opinion really does help a page like this as there are costs to keep it up and all) but what threw me off that path was that a subscription once gained automatically renews itself after the time runs out and thus will draw money from your paypal account again regardless of the user being online or not.

And as I don't visit a forum/community I'm a member of for sometimes months (lurker here, remember) and I really see no reason to pay for that time automatically. Also I didn't find that donation button I read about which I guess would be a one-time payment (maybe I'm just blind and someone can point me towards it?) but then I'd really like to know if that donation would be associated with the user and thus giving access for an amount of time.

Could that maybe a small solution to give leachers like myself (since with me only having two posts with this one and the first being deleted while still having downloaded basically makes me one I guess) a chance to download for a limited amount of time through donating without needing to spam the forum and without a renewing subscription? This way you could also up the number of required posts a bit to really scare off spammers.

Wow...that was quite a rant...

edit: just added the last idea with the uped posts number

Aside from his long explanation of why she isn't an active member, which wasn't needed, I agree that donations should be exempt from these download limits. The idea is to get people to contribute to the community, and donations certainly are contribution.

I still stand by my idea of upping the required amount of posts to at least 15, and even upping the time it takes to access the download time. It's a fairly extreme measure, but it will decrease people just coming to leach. Obviously with donators being exempt from these restrictions.

A member joins, posts 5 times to get to downloads, gets them and never posts again. It might as well be spam. These people are just leaching off the site and giving nothing back to it, which isn't fair to people who are.

With my long explanation I simply wanted to state another point of view witch lead to my suggestion of said donations, sorry if you felt it was to long or unneeded but it was something I felt I needed to write...

But that isn't the reason why I answered again, and I am sorry if this is off topic but I'd like to state that I'm actually female :girl:

With my long explanation I simply wanted to state another point of view witch lead to my suggestion of said donations, sorry if you felt it was to long or unneeded but it was something I felt I needed to write...

But that isn't the reason why I answered again, and I am sorry if this is off topic but I'd like to state that I'm actually female :girl:

My apologies, I corrected the mistake.

Might I ask though, why don't you feel compelled to say anything? I'm certain that your thoughts can not be EXACTLY identical to someone else on the forum who has posted them. I think this is a good time to get information on what compels people to be active members.

What could the site do that would make you more inclined to actually be an active member and speak?

Donator's have always been exempt from having to do anything to access the downloads. You can have 0 posts and be a donator and will still have access.

As for the subscription thing, I wasn't really sure how it works, it was there, someone asked about it, so I figured why not use something that is already there so I added it. Just to clarify though, not a single person has ever used it. However it's true what you heard, you can use the donate button instead for a one time donation currently and become a full-time donator (this might change later, but I doubt it).

The donate button is under the banner on the default skin, it has the text "Donate & Support Us". When you donate this way, you should then send me a PM or Email stating you have donated and what your forum username is, because I then have to manually change your account status.

No need to apologize, I just said that because for some reason unknown to me on any forum that I post on initially everyone seams to think me to be a guy (is it the way I write?) and while funny for some time, after a while (and it happening on virtually every forum I post on) it just gets old...

Might I ask though, why don't you feel compelled to say anything? I'm certain that your thoughts can not be EXACTLY identical to someone else on the forum who has posted them.
An interesting question and hard to answer, but I'll try. Keep in mind though that those are just my personal reasons (and suggestions if I can come up with some), I cannot speak for someone else.

True, while they might not be literally my thoughts they are close enough and I always thought if I don't have to say something relevant I don't need to say it at all.

Another thing is that when reading a tread that interests me, more often then not posts I would like to give my opinion on are older ones (or locked ones) so when responding to them basically equals reviving a thread I don't do it...but this is a problem (if you want to call it one) that is in the basic nature of a forum, it just happens... maybe threads that have not been answered to in...lets say two months for example could be moved to an archive?

Also I have to admit initially I only found the page and forum because I was looking for English dubbed Animes which for some reason are hard to come by nowadays, I wasn't really looking for a community.

What could the site do that would make you more inclined to actually be an active member and speak?
That one is even harder if not impossible to answer...you can't try to make it right and always interesting for everyone as everyone has different interests and I can understand your point of view that you want people who download to contribute (that's why I suggested the donations button in combination with a higher number of requested posts) but as said in an early post (sorry I can't remember by whom or if it was in this thread actually) you can't force someone to be an active member, some just are not interested while others don't have the time because of their job, school or university or have another reason altogether.

Maybe make a theme of the month, if such a thing does not exist already I have to browse the forum first for other suggestions.

I'm also not saying that I wont post at all, but as a lurker it's in my nature not to say much...or to put it correctly not to say something very often.

-------

Ah, thanks Koby finally found, it took me a while as I was text searching for "Donate & Support Us" but the text is actually in the buttons picture. I'll pm you on the details.

I can see why peeps get pissed off by lieching but why do you want to basically force people to chat in thhe forums? Im new to the site so no clue how things even work yet but I only found the sight after searching for naruto torrents... I had no intention of joining a chat forum!

Dont get me wrong I always thank uploaders of any torrent sites i use and I always share way more then i download but I dont see your reasoning for the need to make people who obviously dont want to talk in the forums do so

I can see why peeps get pissed off by lieching but why do you want to basically force people to chat in thhe forums? Im new to the site so no clue how things even work yet but I only found the sight after searching for naruto torrents... I had no intention of joining a chat forum!

Dont get me wrong I always thank uploaders of any torrent sites i use and I always share way more then i download but I dont see your reasoning for the need to make people who obviously dont want to talk in the forums do so

Then lets put it this way.

Don't want to contribute? Don't join the forum in the first place.

Continue searching for another site that gives you everything you want but asks for nothing in return.

See if you can find if there even is a site that can do so and still have the quality and database we have. It'll be tough, you might eventually find one.. who knows.

Continue searching for another site that gives you everything you want but asks for nothing in return.

See if you can find if there even is a site that can do so and still have the quality and database we have. It'll be tough, you might eventually find one.. who knows.

Right attitude, Koby. Finally.

Thank yo Koby. This is what I've been saying for a while now. Don't bother joining a FORUM for downloads. The downloads are an extra.

We don't want to force people to "chat" or "post" per say, we want them to contribute. Bandwidth isn't free.

Thank yo Koby. This is what I've been saying for a while now. Don't bother joining a FORUM for downloads. The downloads are an extra.

We don't want to force people to "chat" or "post" per say, we want them to contribute. Bandwidth isn't free.

Yea my bad, this was my first post after signing up and didnt realise until after reading some posts how the site actually worked. I originally thought it was your regular dedicated torrent website and the forums was extra.. now I see otherwise ;)

Wow, I honestly didn't realize how much trouble spammers can cause for the forums.

Don't get the idea that I'm one, I'll try to be on ATLEAST 2-5 days a week checking out

the latest news on the forums, if not more. I haven't posted a "Hello" topic and don't plan to, cause [to me] that's just a waste of a post to tell others the same thing everybody else says. Besides, wasn't that what spread the "SPAMMER" problem? I think so. I'll be on Monday, [not tomorrow cause of church and father's day] but don't worry, I'm not going to and don't plan on being another one of those a**hole leechers/spammer/idiots. Glad to be here, glad to stay. See ya Monday! :D

• 3 weeks later...

wow.. just read the 4 paged thread.. and it's quite serious.

it's kinda sad that there are really people who would only like to put 5 significant post just to access the downloads.. especially when they really mean it.

let's see... a person locates this site in the google, tries to register and tries to download files instantly.. after the note for the (5 post count) the person tries to find some good topics and also instantly put 5 significant post... the result, i can get most of the downloads just for 5 post without thanking the uploader. awww.. that hurts for me even though im not an uploader.

sorry to brag in, i know that i'm just new to this forums (recently joined last june) but it could really help if the number of post required will be increased so that the members can't access the files immediately, i know that this is a sharing site and i know that this is a good forums... but a 5 post count are very easy to get.

as for me, i joined many forums and i tend to be always active to help those forums, i can't upload files so the only thing for me is to download files that's why i always try to thank everyone especially the uploaders..

@ Koby,

this site is great, i just hope that other people will respect it like i do :D

hmm. I haven't read the whole thread - but if you made it so posting in the introduction forums didn't increase your post count - then it'd limit the amount of spamming in there.

Most of the other methods that i'm thinking of to increase activity cannot apply to here - mainly because you don't host the anime on your servers. :(