Kametsu FAQ [Updated 16 May '13]

Kametsu FAQ

===

Please check here before posting a new thread. If your question is answered here and you post a thread, your thread will be deleted or moved to the Farplane. This saves time and effort on everyone's part. No one likes answering the same questions over and over again.

===

Helpful Links

Forum Guidelines
IRC Tutorial Index
What is Spam?
Signature Size Limitations

The Staff Team
Kametsu Facebook Page
@Kametsudotcom

===

Index

General

• Why can't I edit my profile/avatar/signature/posts?
  • How do I change my user title?
  • When will I be able to change my user title?
  • I'm trying to find a thread but none of the links work!
  • I want the staff to do something for me, but the report system says I should only use it for objectionable material and there isn't any objectionable material to be dealt with.
  • If the forum goes down, where can I go for updates?

Downloads

• How many posts do I need to access the downloads?
  • I used to have access to the downloads but now I don't!
  • What is IRC/XDCC? How do I download from that?

Posting

• Why do my posts keep disappearing?
  • Why isn't my post count going up?
  • Why can't I post in certain areas?
  • Why can't I edit my post?

BBCode

• How do you embed Youtube videos? Where did the Youtube code go?
  • My signature keeps getting rejected because the links are too long!
  • What are some of the formatting options available to us? What do any of these buttons do?
  • So what's all the Special BBCode stuff?

===

If you have any suggestions for additions or changes to this FAQ, please send me a message and I will update it posthaste! (Or if you have the ability to change it yourself, then please go ahead and fix it. Just remember to log the change below.)

• 6 months later...

General

Why can't I edit my profile/avatar/signature/posts?

You will gain access to these features when your account is upgraded after your initial post. This is a precautionary step against spambot advertising.

When is PM enabled?

After you make your initial post. It's disabled for Crusader-0 to discourage advertising.

How do I change my user title?

Click on your user name in upper right-hand corner and navigate to My Profile > Edit My Profile.

Scroll down and beside the section labelled Profile Information will be a text box allowing you to edit your user title. It will be above the area where you enter your birthday.

When will I be able to change my user title?

After you accumulate 500 posts.

I'm trying to find a thread but none of the links work!

With the forum software update, the forum naming conventions have changed. Try the search feature instead.

However, if you still have the thread ID, you can try plugging it into the URL like so

The dash after the thread ID is mandatory if you wish your link to work. Bear in mind that with the software update, threads have potentially been renumbered, so they may not retain the same ID.

http://kametsu.com/topic/threadid-

I want the staff to do something for me, but the report system says I should only use it for objectionable material and there isn't any objectionable material to be dealt with.

If you need a thread or post moved, closed, or deleted, even if there isn't any material in violation of the rules, go ahead and report it. As long as it's related to official forum business and requires the attention of a staff member, you're fine to use the report system. This keeps the inboxes and profile feeds of the staff clear for their personal use and ensures your request will be dealt with in a timely fashion!

If the forum goes down, where can I go for updates?

You'll find links to the Facebook page, Twitter, and IRC in the first post of this thread. All else fails, have a sandwich and watch some TV--the forum should be back up eventually.

Downloads

How many posts do I need to access the downloads?

As of this posting, you need one. If you see it stated otherwise elsewhere, please report it so it may be fixed. Accounts should automatically upgrade.

I used to have access to the downloads but now I don't!

There are a few reasons why this may be happening.

Since we have changed forum software, accounts were not sorted into the proper usergroups. Simply posting once will upgrade your account to the proper group.

Your posts may be getting deleted as spam. This is a discussion forum and simply spamming threads to gain access will be noticed.

Occasionally posts will be sent through a moderation queue because it has been flagged as spam and requires moderator approval. To avoid this, try to write carefully and correctly, avoiding excess smilies and unnecessary punctuation.

If you think you are being unfairly targeted, there is almost always a mod or admin online that you will be able to contact and ask what is going on.

What is IRC/XDCC? How do I download from that?

There are several FAQs for your perusal. Start with the Tutorial index for IRC and you will be on your way.

Posting

Why do my posts keep disappearing?

There are a few reasons why this may be happening.

The most common is because your posts are deleted as spam. This is a discussion forum and simply spamming threads to gain access will be noticed.

Another common occurrence is threads getting moved to the Farplane or Dead Links sections.

Occasionally posts will be sent through a moderation queue because it has been flagged as spam and requires moderator approval. To avoid this, try to write carefully and correctly, avoiding excess smilies and unnecessary punctuation.

If you think you are being unfairly targeted, there is almost always a mod or admin online that you will be able to contact and ask what is going on.

Why isn't my post count going up?

Posts in the Forum Games and SeeD Hallway do not count towards your post count. People have been spamming these sections too often.

Why can't I post in certain areas?

Parts of the forum have been blocked off to members whose accounts have not yet been upgraded to prevent them from spamming those areas to gain access to the downloads.

Why can't I edit my post?

This is due to anti-spam measures. Because a lot of features are linked to a single radio button, you are unable to edit your posts until your account is upgraded.

BBCode/Formatting

How do you embed Youtube videos? Where did the Youtube code go?

Just paste the full video URL in your post. It should automatically embed.

My signature keeps getting rejected because the links are too long
       You can also use URL shorteners or image hosts that generate short URLs.

What are some of the formatting options available to us? What do any of these buttons do?

formatbar.png
Starting from the top left, proceeding across:

Toggle editing mode -- You can go from WYSIWYG to just viewing the raw code.
Remove Format -- Any formatting done on highlighted text--colour, font, bolding, background, &c--will be removed.
Special BBCode -- Seen here.
Font -- You can make your text different if you want.
Size -- You can make your text big or small.
Text Color -- You can make things different colours.
Smiley -- Opens a little toolbar at the bottom, displaying all the smilies you can use.
My Media -- Defunct as far as I know. If you happen to have anything uploaded to the site, you would be able to access it and attach it to your post.
Find -- If you need to find a certain word in your text.
Replace -- If you need to replace certain words in your text.
Undo -- Reverses the last change you made. Can be accessed with CTRL-Z.
Redo -- Reverts any changes made by Undo. Can be accessed with CTRL-Y.
Copy -- Defunct as far as I can tell. Just use CTRL-C.
Paste -- Adds the text from your clipboard. May not work based on browser settings. Just use CTRL-V.
Paste as Plain Text -- Strips any formatting from pasted text.
Paste from Word -- Another pasting option.
Editor Options -- Allows you to clear any saved content you have and change whether to paste as plain text by default.

The second row, starting at the far left:

Bold -- Makes your words like this! Can also be accessed with CTRL-B
Italic -- Makes your words like this! Can also be accessed with CTRL-I
Underline -- Makes your words like this! Can also be accessed with CTRL-U
Strike Through -- Makes your words like this!
Subscript -- Makes your words like this!
Superscript -- Makes your words like this!
  • Insert/Remove Bulleted List
  • Makes some bullet points for you, or removes them.
  • Insert/Remove Numbered List
  • Makes a numbered list for you, or removes them.

Link -- Can be used to create a link within your text. There are a few options available to you, but the anchor option seems to be defunct.
Unlink -- If you don't want your text to be a hyperlink.
Image -- Inserts an image into your post.
Code -- Encases your text in a code box. Will format text within appropriately for you.
Quote -- Encases text in a quote box.
Steam Profile -- Posts a person's Steam profile card, like so.

Anracli.png

Twitter -- Links directly to a person's Twitter feed.
Decrease Indent -- If you indented something and you change your mind.

Increase Indent -- Scoots your text over, like so.

Align Left -- The default alignment for text.
Center -- Puts your text in the centre, like so.
Align Right -- Puts your text to the right, like so.
Collapse Toolbar -- Minimises the editor toolbar so you have more room.

So what's all the Special BBCode stuff?

special.png

Acronym -- Can be used to explain any acronyms you use, as seen here (hover your mouse over the text): WYSIWYG
Background-colour -- Useful for images. I use it all the time for these smilies. It accepts colour names and hex (# mandatory).

tumblr_m9gclpn3pQ1qzckow.gif

Box -- Puts your stuff in a box, like so.

Float -- Defunct as far as I can tell.
Horizontal Rule -- Adds a horizontal line to your post.

imglink -- Allows you create images with links, but appears to be defunct.
Media -- Can be used to embed Youtube videos and Flash files.
Member -- Creates a link to a member profile. Emotional Outlet
Post Link -- Creates a direct link to a post within this forum. It requires the entry number of the post, as seen below.

The Link

Spoiler -- Creates a spoiler. Kind of a staple around here.
Steam Profile -- Posts a person's Steam profile card, like so.

Anracli.png

Table -- Defunct as far as I can tell.
Topic Link -- Creates a direct link to a topic within this forum. Requires the threadID, found before the thread name, as seen below.

The Link

Twitter -- Works as explained previously. Just requires the username of the feed you want to link to.
XML Code -- A code box option.

http://forums.kametsu.com/index.php?/topic/31271-kametsu-faq-updated-18-oct-12/#entry243211
http://forums.kametsu.com/index.php?/topic/31271-kametsu-faq-updated-18-oct-12

Updated 16 May '13

Added question regarding PM.

Updated 12 May '13

Moved some stuff around.

Changed up the formatting.

Updated 2 May '13

Removed some extraneous BBCode options from Formatting.

Added data on the new Steam profile card option under Formatting.

Updated 26 Feb '13

Added a note regarding embedding Youtube videos as brought to my attention by Mute.

Updated 22 Jan '13

Cleaned up some formatting.

Removed Edit By lines for cleanliness.

Updated 19 Dec '12
Experimental section under the spoiler

Experimental Section -- Hover over the questions for the answers

Why can't I edit my profile/avatar/signature/posts?

How do I change my user title?

When will I be able to change my user title?

I'm trying to find a thread but none of the links work!

However, if you still have the thread ID, you can try plugging it into the URL like so

The dash after the thread ID is mandatory if you wish your link to work. Bear in mind that with the software update, threads have potentially been renumbered, so they may not retain the same ID.

http://forums.kametsu.com/index.php?/topic/threadid-

I want the staff to do something for me, but the report system says I should only use it for objectionable material and there isn't any objectionable material to be dealt with.

If the forum goes down, where can I go for updates?

Added index of questions to first post.
Changed the wording in some of the questions ("Why do my posts keep disappearing" and "I used to have access to the downloads...")

Updated 10 Dec '12
Added question about editing post to Posting.
Added question about changing user title.
Updated question about editing profile/posts/signature in General.

Updated 2 Dec '12
Added question about formatting options in BBCode/Formatting.

Updated 18 Oct '12
Added question about report system to General.

Updated 12 Oct '12
Split into different posts based on category.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Updated to fix links to the helpful links, and edited some of the faq to reflect some changes made since it was last updated.

The BB Code/Formatting section is completely obsolete in it's current form and will need a major overhaul so ignore it for now.