MTG Protection vs Trample

lemmingllama

So I recently had an argument with a friend and I cant seem to find it on the net. So the scenario is that one person is attacking with a 5/5 green trample, and it is blocked by a 2/2 white. This 2/2 is then given protection from green, meaning that the green creature it is blocking cannot kill it. Does the trample damage get soaked up, trample over normally, or does it ignore the monster since it cant kill it and then trample all 5 damage over?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright so to Faronil about the "all damage to that creature is prevented" that is true, but only two damage goes to that creature and the rest would carry over and damage the player. To lemmingllama, the protection rules are now such that protection from a color means unblockable by that color as well. In the original question this wouldn't apply, but if the 5/5 creature had protection from white then there would be no way to block with the white 2/2, regardless of the 2/2's own protections. I hope this clears everything up.

Yeah that's quite a bit confusing with the changing rules in every edition but I checked it up and the damage greater than the toughness is dealt to the player... The rule that a creature with protection cant be blocked by a creature of that color exist already a long time.. I guess that wasn't asked anyway ^^

• 3 months later...

Ok in the scenario previously stated the question is best answer by trample.

Trample states that when there are no further monster blocking it the remainder of damage is dealt to the opponent's lifepoints.

A creature who is protected from a color takes no damage, can not be blocked by creatures of that color and are untargerted by cards of that color also can not be destroyed by that color persay wrath of god on a pro white creature.

So I will hunt down wiki links or just find an m13 reminder text for both of those but I would say 0 damage since the creature itself can't take damage from the trampler.

• 4 months later...

um no the statement on trample is clear.

(If this creature would assign enough damage to its blockers to destroy them, you may have it assign the rest of its damage to defending player or planeswalker.)

and protection says.

Protection from *** (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything ***.)

the damage can not be assigned the damage.

ok trample got redone enough to ignore so yes. annoying when rulings change around.