Some Suggested Reading

Koby

Except to some people, the CB isn't just "fat", unless you mean condensing the number of subfora as well. Or trimming members? Clearing out posts? What do you think needs to change?

Shazi and I have gone through a lot of the subfora to move the trash topics to the Two Cents area (still not a completed job, but we've unearthed a lot of interesting topics for you guys!). I've rewritten the rules and attached an addendum to the "What Is Spam?" thread; Poe cleaned up the rules in the Graphics Division; and I think I'll take a stab at cleaning up the rules in the RP section. So, the forum is getting cleaned up and polished, but we still need people to post.

I don't mind if the CB or downloads disappear, but I don't know if it's necessarily time to throw in the towel regarding the downloads. I just don't want to see the CB regulars disappear if the CB disappears as well.

Also, I hope you don't plan on firing me after one day, Koby, haha. I'd be a sad panda.

EO was the one that took over the lit section! What an affront!! :P

Yeah, I've noticed some of the threads being shifted around and the rules being touched up. I still think the emphasis should be on getting the CB regs out of the blasted CB and posting on the forums. Touching up the rules is fine and dandy, but it still doesn't really address the fact most of our "community" has abandoned the forum as a whole. As I said before, do something drastic and make those that don't post realise the privileges that they had, as Koby has often said; "the CB is a privilege not a necessity." Drill that into someone as much as you want and they still won't listen, but take the privilege away and see the appreciation it creates.

Btw, I think what Drum meant was the same as I just said in my roundabout way. The CB and the DL section often created a lot of dead weight, be it from leechers that posted their one liners, or members that just don't post. Obviously the goal would be to either remove said dead weight or re-assimilate it into the forum as a whole.

As too Koby's staff comment, hurt feelings are hurt feelings. Such is life. If you feel someone ain't in touch with the forum then do what must be done. I gave up my position cause I wasn't able to do my job, for instance. No time and that blasted CB kept me distracted all the time. Now that I finally could do something the DL section dies... (poor Sicka, man I feel for him). What I mean is, I resigned for the exact same reason you stated above, so why should it be hard to remove those that have the same problem? Okay, there isn't that much staff members anyhoo, but those that are outta touch know who they are, and should either do something about or resign themselves... but thats just me...

Haha, I did not mean to suggest that these were vital changes. The forum rules I had written ages ago were a bit outdated and lengthy, and the rules in the Graphics Division were largely irrelevant. These changes aren't meant to have any effect on activity--just reflect the current SOP and make them neater and more user-friendly. Breathe a little life into these things to show that the forum hasn't been entirely abandoned, at least.

I wholeheartedly agree that something drastic needs to be done. It seems that Koby has been trying to be nice about it for a really long time and it isn't working. The prior temporary absence of the CB seems to have had little to no effect. I have noticed a lot of the larger, more active fora I occasionally visit don't have a CB of any sort--at most, there's an IRC channel that isn't widely advertised. Koby, I believe, has pointed this out at least a couple times, that there's a reason many other fora don't have a CB.

As far as staff, I'm not entirely familiar with who's active and who's not. It shouldn't be too big a deal, honestly, to either retire or remove inactive staff, especially if they don't want to make a case for themselves. Again, from what I've noticed visiting other fora for a while, staff positions tend to be emptied with little upset from that person if they haven't been doing their job--most tend to just retire when they have things in life that would keep them from doing their job in the first place.

I was actually a little apprehensive about Koby making me a mod because I don't want people to think I'm just vying for power or trying to get Koby to play favourites or something because I'm such an old member. I really want to keep this place alive and doing boring jobs like cleaning up stupid topics is something I can do, haha.

I gotta say as a reasonably experienced staff member, Shazi and EO are doing spectacular jobs. EO in particular has really impressed me and I'd like to thank her for all she's done! When it comes to me, the whole being a 16 year old student at a new college has taken it's toll and has restricted me. I do think I'm getting on top of it and so I will try to do more soon, starting with relaunching the Khronicle, which I intend to do very soon!

I can't believe being out for 2 weeks coupled to MU shut down will hurt Kametsu so much. However the idea is to remain online as long as possible. I remember the first time I've experience the forum shut down for one week because everything was transferred to a new server. When everything is up and running I receive an email that says "Kametsu Forums is back Online!"

I think on this latest incident I haven't receive any sort of email like that. I just found out that everything is up because I always checking the site. Besides with the forum dead for 2 weeks most of the members most likely will attend to more important matters rather than wait for the website to come back online.

Sending them email maybe worth a shot. Hopefully

I gotta say as a reasonably experienced staff member, Shazi and EO are doing spectacular jobs. EO in particular has really impressed me and I'd like to thank her for all she's done! When it comes to me, the whole being a 16 year old student at a new college has taken it's toll and has restricted me. I do think I'm getting on top of it and so I will try to do more soon, starting with relaunching the Khronicle, which I intend to do very soon!

Oh I do nothing huh? Geez. nice to be remembered now isn't it.

I'm posting around in everything that has interested me thus far, and i have written down some ideas on thread topics, so once i have all the fine details sorted out i will post the threads.

Yes I agree with people being scared right know and they don't know what to do. They are still in shock. give it a few days or months and people will forget about this whole filesharing crackdown attempt. When it gets down to it what the Govt it trying to do is control the internet and at this point it is impossible for anyone to control the Internet. so give it a few days and we'll all forget about it and everything will go back to normal. Just my opinion though.

I've always wished that similar forums could consolidate into two separate forums. Larger communities & friendly competition. I've only seen it happen twice when an MMO and an FPS game shut down years back. Efforts were made by an admin to reach out to other admins of various smaller forums and after some time they combined their communities under one domain. Eventually, private servers were made for each game.

If you want an slightly encouraging read about a strong website that went through some pretty dark times, read here.

Don't shut down unless your core community gives up on you. or u run outta $$$

• 4 weeks later...

IRC is good and all but have some issues like

queue, it doesnt support multi downloads at the same time, and this in its turn will lead to slow download.... i believe you should consider something like DC++, its faster, safer, easier to deploy and no single point of failure :)