What if their was no Entertainment?

Monad-Gnostis

Well, first we would all be bored. Really bored. Then we would eventually want to do something so we wouldnt be bored. So we would all go out and start to piss each other off. Then at some point, a country would piss off another and a war would happen. Oh and also sex is counted as entertainment since its fun, so the human race would die unless we forced asexuals to breed or we made lots of test tube babies

The reactions here are a bit... dramatic.

People didn't always have computers, video games, or television sets. Even if you got rid of playing cards and board games, people would still find a way to distract themselves. I mean, people used to use knucklebones as dice. Inflated pig bladders as balls for sport. Pick up sticks. Tag. Hide and seek.

Maybe I'm not understanding the premise here. It seems to me that the idea is what would life be like if computers, video games, &c were not invented in the first place, not what would the reaction be if, after being exposed to these things and having them a part of day to day life, these things all stopped working for some reason.

I don't think you can count pre-computer entertainment since that would make this concept kind of boring and easy to come to a solution which would probably be that we would find no meaning in life and surely die out as a species, as we are driven by our interests and believes which contribute to our entertainment in life.

But getting back to the idea that this thread only includes post-computer entertainment I would say that people might get along a little better because there would still be hate and temptation, but unlike nowadays where we wear masks over our faces to hide our true selves. So I'm guessing that there would be less deceit. Obviously there would be wars but aren't there wars happening at the moment and the only difference is that technology makes war more efficient for the strongest side meaning more bloodshed for the supposedly "bad" side, I put bad in "" since I believe that we are all under the control of our own countries beliefs or to put it in simple terms we are all brainwashed in a sense.

So for me I believe that although entertainment fuels progress at the same time it destroys our humanity and makes us more and more emotionless and less social, since I believe that cyber socializing is not a great substitute for real socializing.

I'll expand on my beliefs on this subject later on once I've seen others views on this topic just to get a better sense of people's opinions.

See, that's where my confusion lies, because it almost sounds like people are saying the debate is about the lack of ability to feel entertained rather than the lack of entertaining items/activities. I wish the OP would come back and clarify, because I thought it was the latter.

Yeah I found it kind of a hard concept to understand and I still can't see how it would ever happen since we create entertainment to make our lives have meaning and to help us forget about hardships we have lived through and more simply to enjoy life. So I went with the idea that it was pre-computer entertainment since I could understand it more easily than no entertainment at all. Although animals and insects especially don't seem to have any entertainment and are still able to live their lives, I guess it's our complex minds that have created the need to be entertained as not to get bored with life.

See, that's where my confusion lies, because it almost sounds like people are saying the debate is about the lack of ability to feel entertained rather than the lack of entertaining items/activities. I wish the OP would come back and clarify, because I thought it was the latter.

Yeah me too. I really despise topics this vague tbh. We have no idea what exactly we're supposed to discuss and knowing the OP, he'll show up maybe a week later and by then it's like this thread never happened.

This thread would be a lot less useless if we could decide what the debate was, haha.

I think we've pretty much agreed on the point that people can create and derive entertainment from anything, so I don't think there's much use in debating that. Which leaves, what, two directions to go (that I've seen people take this)?

If people were unable to be entertained or have fun.

If modern technology was never invented.

As far as the first one goes, I suppose you could take it in one of two ways--if all people were never, at any point, capable of being entertained or if people, after being able to feel entertained, permanently lost the ability to do so. Unless I'm misunderstanding it (and I probably am--static scrambles my brain). The latter seems pretty self-explanatory to me, but, again, I could be misunderstanding it, haha.

Could you really consider it being bored if you're unable to experience entertainment? Like, the ability was taken away from you? The ability to be bored, in my mind, indicates the ability to be entertained. It seems unlikely that you would have one without the other...

Well now that it's been put into words instead of us just trying to interpret the meaning in our heads I believe that the first is already happening.

If people were unable to be entertained or have fun.

I believe that this is actually how we are because we can't be entertained forever by the same thing so we need to create new things to entertain us for the next short while, so really I think this means we are unable to be entertained but we can have fun while doing these things.

If modern technology was never invented.

At least for me I believe that I would be better off without technology since it seems to control me and make me almost completely dependent on it. But it would be selfish of me to base my opinion on just myself so instead I'll give a few points of how I believe that technology has benefitted us and how it has troubled us. Technology has made remarkable advances in medical science, more efficient ways to obtain materials and transport them, a better understanding of the universe and the world around us and many more. But also technology has given birth to more efficient ways of killing other humans and animals, made the threat of world destruction ever more likely with weapons like Nuclear missiles, made the desire for power ever more tempting. But over all without technology we would probably be worse off since before technology power seemed to be distributed less fairly than nowadays and living conditions seemed worse off for the majority of people, but if we use our nukes than we would have been better off without technology.

Could you really consider it being bored if you're unable to experience entertainment? Like, the ability was taken away from you? The ability to be bored, in my mind, indicates the ability to be entertained. It seems unlikely that you would have one without the other...

Well in that case we'll have to have known what entertainment was before, since you don't miss what you've never had.

• 2 years later...

If you mean all forms of entertainment, including plays, music, stories, ect, then I have to say...

There was a time in european countries, were these things were thought of as sins, so they were deemed illigal, though people of course snuck around those laws durring then, some were caught and executed, others were not.

As long as humans have the abillity to think, entertainment will come about, but for those who still deal without it, it would probably be like things were back durring those times.

If you meant no entertainment was ever made, then, it would be the same as when humans first started, somewhat stupid and or mindless, and know nothing and never will, then die off from not learning anything and ether get eaten or starve to death.