Anime Downloads no longer Viewable by Guests.

Koby

In an effort to try to bring more visitors into actually registering and perhaps posting some, I've decided to no longer allow guests to have access to the Anime Downloads. They can still view the Anime Downloads Index, and the actual thread titles in the forums, but will not be able to read whats in the actual thread itself until they either register or log in.

Hopefully this will stop lurkers from just downloading and leaving... and maybe they will register to obtain the anime and decide to stick around.

That and with the thread titles still being able to be viewed by guests it will still allow search engines to index that we have the titles we actually have (one of the main reasons why I didn't turn off guest viewings in the past)... because a lot of the traffic comes from search engines for those terms... xD

Later on I'll probably implement that you have to have like 5 posts before being able to view them to actually get some more people to post that will otherwise stay zero post members just to leach the downloads. If possible I might even implement some feature that requires that each month you need to get another 5 posts to view it.. or maybe just at least 1 post per week?

• 2 months later...

This is a really good idea.

However, the post requirement thing is tricky. It's a good idea, but at the same time, I could see it going awry. I've noticed a lot of spam recently, and adding a post requirement for each week will probably increase that amount even more. I wish more people would actually join the community instead of just posting crap so they can download.

This was an excellent idea Koby, but hopefully we won't end up like Cartoon-World.

We should use Anime-Anarchy instead as an example of a good website.

Use C-W or A-A as examples? Screw them, they are way younger and neither of them are very well setup. C-W is poorly managed and overran with spam but doesn't do anything about it. A-A actually encourages people not to post in the downloads and instead just use some thank you mod, which is nice, but doesn't really do much and isn't really organized very well except the download section. I mean even Anime discussions is hidden within a sub forum of the general chat board. I see no reason to try to be a copy of either of them. We are higher quality and strive for uniqueness. C-W and A-A both have enough shitty copies of an outdated system that fails to improve, we don't need to be another in a line of failed copies of a failed system.

Anyways this is an old topic that was bumped by a spammer, no need to discuss this further so closed.