Gundam AGE

lemmingllama

32927l.jpg

Synopsis: It has been a few hundred years since humans began to live on space colonies. In A.G. 101, an unknown enemy (UE) "GAFRAN" suddenly attacks one of the colonies "Angel". A long war against UE has begun. In A.G 108, seven year old Flit Asuno lost his mother when UE attacked his colony "Ovan". His mother left him a memory unit "AGE" which had stored data of an ancient mobile suit Gundam. In A.G. 114, Flit completes the Gundam AGE and counterattacks against GAFRANs.

A Gundam series aimed at a younger crowd than the norm, yet also encompassing the largest length of time for a story since the U.C. timeline. Gundam AGE is going to go through three generations of pilots (all sons of the last pilot) through over a hundred year time span. Each time getting upgraded.

They've released a sneak peak of the different models of the Gundam featured in Gundam AGE:

78c302f9.jpg

If you notice, it plays homage to the first three series in the way. The first somewhat resembling Gundam 0079's main Gundam, the second Zeta Gundam, and the third the bulky Gundam ZZ.

Gundam AGE is also the first to focus on aliens (if you don't count the Gundam 00 movie) instead of human politics and humans on earth vs. space colonies. So in a lot of ways it's the same thing, while in a lot of ways it's something new. Regardless the Gundam franchise hasn't continued for over 30 years by being bad.. so I'm sure this one won't disappoint either.

I like it so far. The character animation on the kids could be a little better. And im not really sold on a 11yo boy piloting a Gundam but eh. So far so good. I am looking forward to seeing the story go through the different generations.

To be fair, Gundam has always used young teens for the most part. I think Flint is the youngest yet, but the kid from Victory Gundam was like 13 or 14 if I remember correctly. At least in AGE the pilot actually has somewhat of a reason for piloting it. As in he had a part in it's making and what not. Past Gundam pilots usually came out of no where and lucked into being forced into piloting it and immediately knowing how to pilot it better than anyone else.

at first, i thought it was gonna suck because it look like it was too kiddish, but after watching a couple of episodes i realize the story is actually deep. im actually hooked on to it. i guess now is the right time to say "dont judge a book by its cover"

one thing i am confused about is the the time span thingy. is the different pilots and different gundams gonna be in different seasons or all in one?

at first, i thought it was gonna suck because it look like it was too kiddish, but after watching a couple of episodes i realize the story is actually deep. im actually hooked on to it. i guess now is the right time to say "dont judge a book by its cover"

one thing i am confused about is the the time span thingy. is the different pilots and different gundams gonna be in different seasons or all in one?

From the sounds of it, it'll be one series with several time skips.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched episode 1 and it didn't get me glued enough to watch the next, I will download a bunch later and try to watch them all in one sitting to see if I like it or not.

Not impressed with kiddy pilots and I read up that the series will be about a gundam (emphasise on the 'A' there) and as the series progresses it will get modified and powerups - this doesn't sit too well with me either. The Gundam itself doesn't look impressing in any of its forms and one of the reasons I liked previous gundam series because their was a large variety of different gundams meant for different roles and different pilots.

With that said, I know this can't be as bad as Gundam Seed, that is the first Gundam series I absolutely hate. Infact it is the first anime series EVER to make me have such a BURNING HATE for the main character, no other anime has managed that so far. Some anime series have such typical and predictable protagonists, atleast they're still alright though. But Gundam Seed!!! Damn Man, I hate that cocky bastard.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
With that said, I know this can't be as bad as Gundam Seed, that is the first Gundam series I absolutely hate. Infact it is the first anime series EVER to make me have such a BURNING HATE for the main character, no other anime has managed that so far. Some anime series have such typical and predictable protagonists, atleast they're still alright though. But Gundam Seed!!! Damn Man, I hate that cocky bastard.

Would that cocky bastard you are referring to be Shinn because that's Seed Destiny not Seed. If not then the only protagonist I can think of in Seed are Kira, and I don't see him as cocky at all.

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard a few negative things about this now. Is it worth picking up?

I'll level with ya. It starts off REAL slow.

But ... it's covering 3 generations of Gundam pilots. Seriously, you start off with 2 kids, they grow up, get married and have their own kids. Then those kids pilot the Gundam and have kids off their own when they grow up and those kids end up finishing the show.

Yeah, it's a real awesome show right now. Pick it up, bro.