Hunter X Hunter 2011

lemmingllama

Okay, I'm gonna ask it very simply and would appreciate an answer from an actual fan of the original -

Is this thing REALLY REALLY worth it to a newcomer?

I saw 3 episodes with a couple friends the other day and my god, it was so dangerously generic. It followed the most basic of the basic shounen paths with a predictable storyline and an annoying hyperactive little brat who wants to be a top dog

Naruto_Uzumaki.jpg

along with a guy whose clan history is kinda shady and is hell bent on revenge.

Sasuke.jpeg

What I really mean to ask is - Does it get better later on? Is this initial throwing off just because it's moving too slow and yet the pace is so fast and it's an adaptation of a manga series that was still "fresh" in it's time but has since become outdated or does this remake not just live upto the potential set by the previous one?

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone out there watch the hunter x hunter 2011 edition??

IF so have you seen the old version?

I want to know if there are any changes in the 2011 edition of hunter x hunter and if its worth watching the new one or not, if there is nothing changed other then just taking some eps out and shorten some into one another than i dont think ill watch the new one??

thanks

PS would loves this show... personally i thought it was great and i was addicted..

Hunter x Hunter 1998 and Hunter x Hunter 2011 is a lot like Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Except unlike Fullmetal Alchemist which created an anime original story and ending, the original Hunter x Hunter anime was simply never finished.

Anyhow, the new Hunter x Hunter seems to really be lacking depth and emotion, which the original thrived in. The music arrangement and placement are also terrible in the new version.

It's worth watching, but the original anime was by far the better version. Just like FMA vs. FMAB, FMAB might have followed the manga closer but it failed to keep the heart of the series.

However the new series will hopefully eventually reach arcs that the old series didn't reach, and that's what I'm mostly waiting for.

I agree with Koby. The older version was true to the manga (in gory scenes particularly), and it made Hisoka look 100x more bad ass then in the 2011 version. I also like the voice actors in the old version better (don't get me wrong, the new voices are great as well but can't compete). This applies mostly to Hisoka's old voice though which just fit, the newer voice just doesn't fit IMO.

2011 series is currently 26 episodes (two of which are recap episodes -_-). Though, while it's only at 26, it's at the same point the 1999 series was at in episode 36. So they've managed to make it ten episodes shorter (12 if you dont count two of them for being recaps). Although that is partially because of not having the filler the old series had, rather than pacing being much faster. The pacing is faster, true, but not god awful like the beginning of FMAB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm getting a bad feeling about this for some reason.

Now I haven't seen the original series and only watched about 5 episodes of this one and yes, the BGM really does not fit the scenes well. It's basically like they're trying to do a classic Shounen JUMP title in the style of the modern JUMP you see these days.

From the characters to the setting to some of the story arcs, everything seems like it's been done a million times before in so many shows and then you realize that all those shows actually ripped it off from this one.

It's very very shounen-ish which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I've been looking for some of these old school shows for a while now and it seems to hit the right spots well enough.

But my problem is that despite having a 13 year gap between the manga adaptation and the anime, it might catch up to it and slow down the pace of the show.

A friend of mine has a running joke about how this series should be called HiatusXHunter instead cuz the author keeps going on these long breaks. Despite starting just a year later than One Piece, HXH currently only has 30 volumes in tankoban format while One Piece reached 66.

Also, reading Koby's comment that they're doing it really fast at the beginning makes me wonder if it'll suffer the same fate as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Remember how in the original FMA, they took their time, went on their own pace and expanded on the brother's characters? While reducing half of FMA into the first 10 episodes of FMAB?

If anyone's seen the show, could you let me know if they're somewhat faithful to the original manga?

Cuz I'm a really big fan of the author. He's already done two amazing manga for JUMP - Yu Yu Hakusho and Ruruoni Kenshin, both of which had a kick-ass story and really satisfying ending. Plus, I've read reviews that praised HXH for it's deep and complex story telling. This was the guy who was assisted by Eiichiro Oda at one point, for crying out loud!

Anyways, I'll try starting it again from the top if someone replies that it's somewhat faithful to the manga, otherwise I'll just watch the old TV show and wait for the author to finish the series in another 10 years before doing a read of the whole thing.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this for some reason.

Now I haven't seen the original series and only watched about 5 episodes of this one and yes, the BGM really does not fit the scenes well. It's basically like they're trying to do a classic Shounen JUMP title in the style of the modern JUMP you see these days.

From the characters to the setting to some of the story arcs, everything seems like it's been done a million times before in so many shows and then you realize that all those shows actually ripped it off from this one.

It's very very shounen-ish which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I've been looking for some of these old school shows for a while now and it seems to hit the right spots well enough.

But my problem is that despite having a 13 year gap between the manga adaptation and the anime, it might catch up to it and slow down the pace of the show.

A friend of mine has a running joke about how this series should be called HiatusXHunter instead cuz the author keeps going on these long breaks. Despite starting just a year later than One Piece, HXH currently only has 30 volumes in tankoban format while One Piece reached 66.

Also, reading Koby's comment that they're doing it really fast at the beginning makes me wonder if it'll suffer the same fate as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Remember how in the original FMA, they took their time, went on their own pace and expanded on the brother's characters? While reducing half of FMA into the first 10 episodes of FMAB?

If anyone's seen the show, could you let me know if they're somewhat faithful to the original manga?

Cuz I'm a really big fan of the author. He's already done two amazing manga for JUMP - Yu Yu Hakusho and Ruruoni Kenshin, both of which had a kick-ass story and really satisfying ending. Plus, I've read reviews that praised HXH for it's deep and complex story telling. This was the guy who was assisted by Eiichiro Oda at one point, for crying out loud!

Anyways, I'll try starting it again from the top if someone replies that it's somewhat faithful to the manga, otherwise I'll just watch the old TV show and wait for the author to finish the series in another 10 years before doing a read of the whole thing.

You should definitely watch this anime, it's fucking amazing and awesome.

• 2 months later...