Regions: Playing DVD's

Dan Den

You can look into buying region-free players or modding your existing players.

I'm pretty sure game consoles have region locks as well.

Well I pretty much no nothing about modding and I just recently bought a new DVD player so that kind of no an option.

Is there anyway to go around that region locks on the consoles?

Well it will play on a computer, all you really need is a DVD decrypter and you should be able to play it. I know it won't work on region consoles and DVD players. But just a question, why not just go ahead and down it?

I think I'll end up playing them on my PC then.

Reason I can't download is cause if you search the entire internet you will find 0 seeded torrents of Saint Seiya in dub format and the only person who has uploaded it is jossel999 and I tried downloading from there but the amount of time it takes to download an episode just so it cancels nearing the end is ridiculous so I decided to buy the DVD collection 1 and 2.

You might want to watch out if you use DVDFab to decrypt the dvds because it will ask for the region code of the dvd, and if I remember right there is only a certain number of times you can change it.

You can try DVD43, or AnyDVD to circumvent the region coding. There is also suppose to be a program called DVD Region-Free that can circumvent region codes. They are suppose to work in the background and decrypt your dvds when you insert them. I've never had to deal with a dvd from a different region so I really couldn't tell you how well they work.

You might want to watch out if you use DVDFab to decrypt the dvds because it will ask for the region code of the dvd, and if I remember right there is only a certain number of times you can change it.

You can try DVD43, or AnyDVD to circumvent the region coding. There is also suppose to be a program called DVD Region-Free that can circumvent region codes. They are suppose to work in the background and decrypt your dvds when you insert them. I've never had to deal with a dvd from a different region so I really couldn't tell you how well they work.

Oh I know that DVD43 works fine, thanks for reminding me of that. I used to use that a lot, works great.

Ok I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes when I receive the DVD's, but for now I just saw that it says it only works for 32bit computers? So I'm guessing this means that my 64bit is useless or is there a way around it.

AnyDVD has a trail version you could use to see if it works at defeating the region coding. It would probably be your best bet on 64bit Windows.

I did find a thread on Handbrake's forums, here, that is suppose to do the same as dvd43. It uses libdvdcss from the videolan project. According to wikipedia it defeats region coding by using a brute force algorithm. XBMC is suppose to use this as well and It has an option in it's settings to force a region code.

Hopefully one of these options will atleast allow you to watch the dvds after they come in. Wish I could help you more with this, but I don't have any non-region 1 dvds to test any of this with. Let me know if any of these work, it could come in handy in the future.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, DJHulp said:

There is something important what isn't said.

Region 1: NTSC.

Region 2: PAL.

You will Always have Interlace problems even if you decrypt it.

So you will Always have lines onto you're screen even if you remove it with HandBrake or Megui.

That's not correct... The regions don't relate to NTSC and PAL signals.

Example:

Region 1: U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, and Bermuda.
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East, including Egypt.
Region 3: Southeast Asia, East Asia, including Hong Kong.
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

See how Japan is in Region 2? Japanese DVDs are NTSC as well.

Interlacing is also not a problem, as DVD players can read the flags set in the videostream and de-interlace the video accordingly.

Edited by Darkshadow6400