How do you convince people to watch Anime?

Diablo

Usually it's just addressing the "cartoons/anime are for kids" mentality.
To that I simply state "since when do kids shows have R rated gore?" and this mention of an R rating is enough to stimulate further conversation.

Then I usually point them towards elfen lied ep 1. What the F comments are common at this point but they're hooked.

• 2 weeks later...

I convince ppl to watch anime by asking what they don't like about Anime, and recommending an anime that contains as few of those tropes as possible.

So for a friend who doesn't like the childishness of much anime, and the high school drama etc., but does like soccer? Giant Killing...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well you could always tell them about how great henti/lolicon is and that alone is a very strong motive to watch.

oh and the plot is also great :) along with high fps / picture quality.  But who does not love small boobs and pantie shots to keep you hooked on a show, i mean really some shows thats the only reason why i watch them.

The major problem with anime is a clear lack of content.  There are a few shows that break the mold - spice and wolf is one of them so is strike witches.

cookie cutter vs non cookie cutter

cookie cutter:

goes to middle/high school

high ratio of girls

girls finding males sexually attractive and competing for the male

the male being a total pussy

females hitting males ; this i dont like at all..

opening shots where main character is shown in a crowd of "normal people with normal brown hair" then he is shown in bright colours to attract you to the main character like you were too dumb to figure it out on your own (kinda like the way apple thinks of its users)

clear pandering to sexual fetishes

parental figures don't really exist and or have no point or in the story aka useless.  A tasteful example is "Walt, Jr." from breaking bad.  If that character was removed it would have almost zero effect on the story.

-----

now add in flavour twists: supernatural, school life, gundam type shows - meck, girls with guns, fighting, ect

-----

non cookie cutter

does not go to school

has plot elements from parents

actually has a plot that scales and has rewatchability not just based on loli or  pantsu - (strike witches / spice and wolf / ah my goddess / moonphase / black lagoon / darker then black /

a clearly defined story line that is thought provoking and innovative.

with non cookie cutter shows being so rare its hard to put a finger on what makes them quite unique.  This will require more brain storming.

• 2 weeks later...

Some day, years ago, I stopped watching anime, as the ending of Welcome to NHK helped me reflect and clarify to the emptiness of it all. Being otaku took so much and gave so little, I can not, in sane mind (say, sober), suggest it to anyone. It started so innocent, and morphed into pushing out everything else out of life, and for not much more than slow plot development and repetitious eye candy [reader's excellent example X excluded]. How do I convince people to watch anime?  I don't. If anything, I caution against the addiction that it was to me. But if I had to convince someone, She and Her Cat is very good at softening the "cartoon dogma". There's good stuff out there, berried deep within the pile.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm not trying to convince anyone to watch Animes. All the people around myself  think thats childrenstuff :(  I am the only one who is interested in it. In Germany ten years ago Animes were popular, if today someone finds out  I'm thrilled with 27 years of it, much of the people laugh at me :-D So what? It's funny. That is why I deal with it alone, watch it alone, and therefore do not let anyone judge about that thing. There are just too many prejudices about that topic. So I enjoy it only for myself!

<3 ^ - ^

& I'm happy with it. :D 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It isn't my place to "convert" people in their interests. The closest I come to that is "Hey, I'm watching/playing this. If you don't mind that, you can hang out. If you do mind that, we'll hang out another time." People who are open to new experiences will hang out, and through that they might find that they enjoy whatever it is that they hadn't been into before. People who don't have an interest won't hang out. It's really that easy. There's no point in forcing somebody to like something if they don't want to. It might not even be a matter of them being opposed to it, or "If they tried it, they would like it!" They very well might like it, they might even know that--but they might also have a lot of other interests and hobbies that they're into and they don't have a need to split their time and attention anymore than they already do. Sometimes having too many interests can become overwhelming. I respect that. I'm starting to figure that out about myself right now.