How do you convince people to watch Anime?

Diablo

I only try to get friends to watch anime, and then, it's only when I think the friend will be receptive to it. Like if they really love horror movies, but are kinda bored of the stuff we see most of the time here in the States, I might invite them over and screen Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni for them. More often than not, I'll simply suggest anime to a person and not pursue the issue any further. I just let them decide to watch or not. With my roommate though, I have a special situation. I'm basically holding his hand and taking him through a crash course of anime (Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Angel Beats, Higurashi, Clannad). I'm doing it in a specific order at a specific pace which I'm varying according to how he responds to certain anime. This is me experimenting with "forcing" a person to like anime. It's been mildly effective so far, but if I drop him right now (we only watched Code Geass and part of TTGL so far) I think he wouldn't look up anime on his own. After we finish the tour, I'd hope that he would be interested enough to look for some on his own.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2002-07-26

I think this wraps up the point I was trying to make

You realise that this article doesnt answer any questions at all, just explains both sides a bit. It still doesnt say if something is anime based on content or place of creation, but it does lean towards the definition that Koby and Mae are trying to say.

You realise that this article doesnt answer any questions at all, just explains both sides a bit. It still doesnt say if something is anime based on content or place of creation, but it does lean towards the definition that Koby and Mae are trying to say.

I'm not an idiot and I would appreciate not being treated like one. I realize that it brings up both points of view, which was my point. Don't just shoot my point of view wrong just because you don't agree with it. Also, just because the article leans towards your point does not mean my point is wrong. It's just a matter of perspective.

I'm not an idiot and I would appreciate not being treated like one. I realize that it brings up both points of view, which was my point. Don't just shoot my point of view wrong just because you don't agree with it. Also, just because the article leans towards your point does not mean my point is wrong. It's just a matter of perspective.

No one said you were and no one treated you as such.

The simple fact is, for it to be anime (or better known as Japanimation) it must be animated in Japan. Avatar is 100% American made and therefore 100% cartoon and classifying it as anything other than a cartoon would be incorrect regardless of what you think or what your opinion on the matter is. It's your 'opinion' that it should be classified as anime, but it's a 'fact' that it's a cartoon. No one can change your opinion on the matter but yourself, but that doesn't mean in anyway that you'd be correct.

Influenced by anime does not make it an anime itself.

• Like 1

Isn't this entire page off topic? xDD I honestly dont think you can convince someone to watch anime.. Take my grandma for example! She hates naruto and doesn't like cartoons or anime(she does like family animated movies but thats about it). Honestly if they don't like it to begin witht hey probably won't like it no matter what you do.. BUT! If they have never heard of or seen it before.. you should NOT show them something YOU like but instead show them something THEY would like.. if they dont like real life fights or stuff like WWE or whatever, they probably won't like fighting anime or cartoons like naruto, bleach, one piece, etc. To sum this all up you should show them something you "know" they would like to see, not something you "know" they wouldn't like.

Pretty much everyone I know offline is under the impression all forms of animation = cartoon and all cartoon = for kids and thus they won't even give Anime the time of day it deserves. I know several series I could introduce to most of them that I know they'd love if they just watched it. Heck I'd show them a hentai just to prove there are forms of animation that are absolutely not kid friendly. As for how do I convince someone to watch anime? Apparently I don't even bother.

Well it's their choice if they decide to watch it or not but sometimes i bring up anime series that i think the person may enjoy. If they confuse it for a cartoon I'll explain the differences between that and a cartoon and cite examples but a lot of people think that any form on animation=cartoon, I know my dad thinks that way and so do a lot of people. Regardless though it's their choice if they watch it or not, I just give suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I don't have to try hard to convince my friends to watch anime, I think they actually quite like it but they won't admit it to me. Given up with convincing my family though, their minds are closed to thinking different so they're fixed on thinking that anime is for kids *sigh*. But it would probably be weird if my whole family was addicted to anime =).

• Like 1

Don't need to convince them; I have a simple tactic to use.

Start watching some re-runs of a crappy TV show (Jersey Shore works wonders depending on your type of people) and then say that you've got some other show you guys could watch. Load up anime (start with something that's popular, and decent).

Works EVERY TIME. It's a psychological tactic that governments use all the time (They'll give the people a choice between paying 4% tax or a halved rate; in the end you're still paying a tax).

• 2 years later...

if a person is reserve type of guy tell them to watch Haganai, Is this a Zombie?, Baka and Test

if a pervert type then Highschool DxD and Highschool of the Dead

if he/she is into action  then Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Code Geass, Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagann

in Romance or emotional type then Toradora!, Sword art Online, Shakugan no Shana, The World God only Knows

want strong plot then Gurren lagann, Death note, Code Geass, Steins Gate, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

• 2 weeks later...