.hack// series

Fifilicious

So I wanted to start watching the .hack// series (I know there's a ton of them) but I heard from a friend that you need to watch the anime, read the manga and play the game to fully understand whats going on. If you do just one or two, you'll be completely lost. Problem is I'm not muxh of a gamer so I don't even own a system more recent then the Nintendo 64 and I'm not really into reading manga either. Can someone tell me if my friend is wrong? (Please let her be wrong)

I watched every single anime series for .hack before ever playing any of the games and I understood things alright.

I just started playing the .hack games (not the GU ones) recently and got to the 2nd game. It does explain a little more about Kite and BlackRose that you kind of found out about in the anime .hack//Legend of the Twilight but nothing that would make you actually not understand the plot.

So I say it's safe to watch them without any other media.

To watch the anime I suggest watching the series as follows:

.hack//SIGN

.hack//Intermezzo (considered episode 27 of SIGN)

.hack//UNISON (considered episode 28 of SIGN)

.hack//GIFT (considered episode 29 of SIGN but never dubbed)

.hack//LIMINALITY

.hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT

.hack//ROOTS

.hack//GU TRILOGY (based on the GU games, but that is similar to ROOTS and with same characters)

• 10 months later...
To watch the anime I suggest watching the series as follows:

.hack//SIGN

.hack//Intermezzo (considered episode 27 of SIGN)

.hack//UNISON (considered episode 28 of SIGN)

.hack//GIFT (considered episode 29 of SIGN but never dubbed)

.hack//LIMINALITY

.hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT

.hack//ROOTS

.hack//GU TRILOGY (based on the GU games, but that is similar to ROOTS and with same characters)

Yup, that's the correct way to watch.

I watched everything in the right order, but I haven't watched GIFT, LIMINALITY, or GU Trilogy yet.

they actually released books for the games. so you won't have to miss out too much. I'm not familiar with anything after G.U mind you, but I can help you up to that point.

.hack//A.I Buster (2 novels)

.hack//sign (anime)

.hack//another birth (4 novels- these cover the games for the ps2)

.hack//legend of the twilight bracelet (3 manga)

.hack//roots (anime)

.hack//G.U. ( 3 ps2 games)

and that's as far as my knowledge goes. I might of seen something about some novels made for the G.U. part of the story but I cannot confirm it. and after G.U, I have no idea.

also, you do not -have- to upkeep every series or be lost. they are new stories with new characters. there might be reference to something that happened in a past series, and you'll have reoccurring characters, but you'll be fine.

• 1 year later...

the .hack series are all different, similar to the zelda and final fantasy games where the story is different but has the same general plot.

.hack//ROOTS

.hack//sign

were the ones I watched and nothing about either of them were connected by plot. The story remains the same people's minds are trapped within a game called the world.

I like this series but they re-use character design and some how have the main characters from different .hack series be in the next.

.hack//twilight did this a bit having the main characters resemble .hack//sign and roots main characters.

To follow either story is simple because keep in mind they are always in a game trying to attain something or other.

the .hack series are all different, similar to the zelda and final fantasy games where the story is different but has the same general plot.

.hack//ROOTS

.hack//sign

were the ones I watched and nothing about either of them were connected by plot. The story remains the same people's minds are trapped within a game called the world.

I like this series but they re-use character design and some how have the main characters from different .hack series be in the next.

.hack//twilight did this a bit having the main characters resemble .hack//sign and roots main characters.

To follow either story is simple because keep in mind they are always in a game trying to attain something or other.

This isn't actually true.

All of the .hack// series are tied to .hack//SIGN except .hack//ROOTS and .hack//G.U.

This isn't actually true.

All of the .hack// series are tied to .hack//SIGN except .hack//ROOTS and .hack//G.U.

even twilight? I didn't watch G.U. but saw the characters were the same from roots.

I watched them as I got them, and I'll still re-watch them but I didn't see how they all tie together.

well not twilight or roots, but I haven't seen every .hack animation produced.

spose I'll have to revisit .//sign

even twilight? I didn't watch G.U. but saw the characters were the same from roots.

I watched them as I got them, and I'll still re-watch them but I didn't see how they all tie together.

well not twilight or roots, but I haven't seen every .hack animation produced.

spose I'll have to revisit .//sign

Yes, .hack//Legend of the Twilight and .hack//Liminality are tied into the .hack//Sign story which is in turn tied to the original PS2 game series.

While .hack//G.U. and .hack//ROOTS is tied to the .hack//G.U. PS2 game series.

Yes, .hack//Legend of the Twilight and .hack//Liminality are tied into the .hack//Sign story which is in turn tied to the original PS2 game series.

While .hack//G.U. and .hack//ROOTS is tied to the .hack//G.U. PS2 game series.

still can't wrap my head around twilight and sign, the way twilight starts and finishes I wouldn't have guessed anything from it is involved with sign. from what I remember.