What if the internet wasn't anonymous?

xNoName

what if the internet was not anonymous mmmmmm I dont know what internet your talking about but it has always been a devoid of privacy.  It was never build with privacy in mind.  Not even tor or freenet / i2p is truly "anonymous" 

Even with end to end encryption with private keys you can still have correlation attacks and malware that can expose your real ip/mac address.  If you want to be anonymous run dd on your hard drive or sudo shred -v -z -n8 /dev/sda     (this will over write your main hd partition and not even governments can recover it) and destroy it then never log on to the net again while following this guide: http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/vanish.htm

that would be a good start

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I wouldn't have mind if it was this way. I'd enjoy the equality. I'm not one filled with hatred and am a very peaceful and live by the golden rule (treat others the way you want to be treated) so I wouldn't feel at loss for needing to release my demons online. Then again there are people who do try to avoid the real world because of maybe their personality or physical flaws and get more joy out of not being judged by their physical appearance and are genuinely good people, I'd feel bad for those ones.

• 3 months later...

A lot of people get away with terrible things because they can remain anonymous

But people can also forge incredibly amazing connections through their anonymity, because speaking to a total strange can sometimes be better than speaking to your best friend, so some parts of the internet would certainly benefit from less anonymity but it should definitely remain in other parts (also I love to torrent too much to lose my anonymity for some trolls)

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, ElementalCards said:

I don't see anything alarming about that, if you don't want people to see something, probably don't paste it over public social media. I wish we didn't live in a world where such measures are consider for the public's safety, but I don't see any rights violations here yet. Many employers do the same thing. It would be an issue if they went into people's private messages on said social media though.

• 8 months later...
On 6/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, Yuji Sakai said:

If the internet wasn't anonymous, then sites like 4chan wouldn't exist.

Haha yeah they would. People openly hold heinous views and perform heinous acts with no regard to socials norms. Sites like that would be less popular but they would surely exist. Lack of anonymity is not a deterrent for some.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/9/2017 at 12:11 PM, tomnook123 said:

If the internet were not anonymous I'd just be a lurker everywhere.

This is the main point. People can already post things under their real name. If someone is not posting something now, they aren't going to just start doing so if a real name was required. Some of the things posted now anonymously would still get posted, but many wouldn't. Making the internet non-anonymous would accomplish nothing but stopping a large amount of its content from being generated.