What book did you last read, currently reading, or will read next?

Citizenmanman

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading: Spice & Wolf (Volume 6, light novel)
I am currently reading: Spice & Wolf (Volume 7: Side Colors, light novel)
I will next be reading: Spice & Wolf (Volume 8: Town of Strife I, light novel)

Sometimes I wish for a little more variation in my literary diet, but then I remember I always wind up looking at Spice & Wolf again.

I'll have to finish it before I move on to anything else! It's the only way!

SpicyWolf

Last book I read was Goosebumps - Beast From The East. I'd read it before but not since middle school. I'm not currently reading anything, but I have a ton of stuff to read that I may start soon. Negima, Rosario Vampire Season 2, and Michael Vey 2 Rise of the Elgen are some examples of whats to come.

• 2 months later...

I generally don't read much non-fiction (except for books about the NBA), but I'm currently reading Fresh Off the Boat by Eddie Huang.  It's not a thing like the tv show, and I understand why he would regret selling the rights to the show.  The book is pretty interesting, but I wouldn't say I agree with all his opinions...still a decent read though.

• 3 weeks later...

The Incredible Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

About a fat Dominican American comic book nerd obsessed with Akira, among other good things. Also has a heavy dose of Dominican history in footnotes. F ing amazing. The book is written from the first, second, third person limited, AND third person omniscient perspectives, varying chapter by chapter. Junot Diaz appropriately received a McCarthur genius grant for it.

• 2 months later...

Reading:  Going through all the Throne of Glass series again since the newest is just coming out.  Currently on Heir of Fire.

Going to read:  Latest Throne of Glass book, if I can get my hands on it.  Then finish the last book in the WondLa Series.  And finally read Raider's Ransom again so I can remember what it was about.  :3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The last one I finished was Shackleton's Stowaway by Victoria McKearnan. It's a historical fiction version of a real-life event where a ship exploring the south pole got frozen in, and the crew had to fight to survive on the ice for like, two years, before they were able to make it out. This was back in the early 1900s, so of course, no phones or internet to call for help. I'd already read some of the non-fiction accounts of it, so I thought I'd try this one out. I liked it!

The next one on my list is a little short one  --  Babe the Gallant Pig. It's the story the Babe movie was based on.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently reading the second book of the Prince of Nothing trilogy, The Warrior Prophet, by R Scott Baker. It continues the story of the Holy War happening in Earwa, and the people involved with it. It is very entertaining and remains as good as the first one, albeit a bit more focused on the overarching storyline. It also maintains the dark and violent components, and so far, it's been every bit as engaging as its predecessor.

The book I last read, apart from the first book of the aforementioned trilogy, was Steppenwolf, by Herman Hesse, and trying to explain or summarize it would be impossible without absolutely butchering or misconstructing the book; I'll just encourage everyone who hasn't already, to give a read as it's really good and very unique.

As for what I plan to read next. After I finish the trilogy, I plan on reading Hard to Be a God, by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. I've heard it's great, so I really want to read it. I may even put the third book of The Prince of Nothing on hold, so I can read this one first. 

Edited by TheMoverOfPlanets

Presently reading Toll the Hounds, novel # - Wikipedia is telling me 8? Holy smokes, where did the time go? - of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's been a trip, and while the my initial reservations about the series have only become more grating over time, I'd recommend it to anyone willing to kill a few analog/digital trees to make the attempt.

Honestly, the most common complaints I read when I first looked into the series (length, level of abstraction at points, o'ver'use of apostrophes) haven't really bothered me at all. Erikson is clearly no hack, as evinced by the fact that I couldn't tell within a chapter or two that the books are based on tabletop gaming sessions, which is something that's always jumped annoyingly off the page in my experience. The inner monologuing, however, can be rough to the point of making me set down my Kindle and laugh out loud. The High Mage thinks exactly how you'd expect a High Mage to think. The marine sapper thinks exactly how you'd expect a High Mage to think. The 13 year old girl thinks exactly how you'd expect a High...you get the picture. Ultimately, it's not Ulysses, but hey, it's swords and sorcery, so I'll happily take anything that dares to stray beyond [protagonist] [action verb] [monster].

The sad part is, I can't even remember.  I don't even remember what year I read a book last.  If comic books count then I do occasionally read some of the Disney comics by IDW.

There is just such an abundance of media these days that I feel as if books fall by the wayside.  I mean, my DVR is constantly at 90%+ with TV shows I am trying t catch up on, and I feel like no matter how much I watch I barely make a dent.  I have a list of games I want to play, and I having movies piling up that I never seem to get to.  So I never seem to find time for books.  Although I do often read through articles online, so at least I am reading something, lol.

When I was younger, I remember reading through a Goosebumps book in a night.  They jumped right into the action (unlike most books) and were usually only around 100 pages, so they were easy to read though.  I also used to love those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books.

I swear, the amount of electronic media available just makes people lazy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, slick1109 said:

The sad part is, I can't even remember.  I don't even remember what year I read a book last.  If comic books count then I do occasionally read some of the Disney comics by IDW.

There is just such an abundance of media these days that I feel as if books fall by the wayside.  I mean, my DVR is constantly at 90%+ with TV shows I am trying t catch up on, and I feel like no matter how much I watch I barely make a dent.  I have a list of games I want to play, and I having movies piling up that I never seem to get to.  So I never seem to find time for books.  Although I do often read through articles online, so at least I am reading something, lol.

When I was younger, I remember reading through a Goosebumps book in a night.  They jumped right into the action (unlike most books) and were usually only around 100 pages, so they were easy to read though.  I also used to love those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books.

I swear, the amount of electronic media available just makes people lazy.

I feel your pain man...at this point I may have to accept I'll never finish my backlog of TV/Movies and video games, as well as comics/books and anime/manga/cartoons.