When did you finally realize that Animes are different from Cartoons?

Diablo

• 2 weeks later...

Never, because they are one and the same. :) Unless you want to get really technical, in which case you can say cartoons are those comic-like illustrations you would get in newspapers or books years before there even was any animation. But, anime is the Japanese abbreviated term for 'animation', and the term cartoon is now used to mean 'animation'. Seriously, comparing the difference is like comparing Disney 'toons to the likes of Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, or Johnny Bravo.

People seem to think it's down to different art styles, but take my above example. Disney cartoons have a completely different style to that of the animation in Johnny Bravo.

People also seem to think it's down to anime being more mature and grown up, but then you get plenty of western adult cartoons as well.

Cultural differences? Sure, there are some, but I wouldn't go saying that means anime is different from cartoons.

Both words are used to describe the same thing. They are both an animated medium. They are both for kids and adults. They are both just as influenced by each other. I think those who root out the differences tend to just be nit picking.

• 2 weeks later...

Never, because they are one and the same. :) Unless you want to get really technical, in which case you can say cartoons are those comic-like illustrations you would get in newspapers or books years before there even was any animation. But, anime is the Japanese abbreviated term for 'animation', and the term cartoon is now used to mean 'animation'. Seriously, comparing the difference is like comparing Disney 'toons to the likes of Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, or Johnny Bravo.

People seem to think it's down to different art styles, but take my above example. Disney cartoons have a completely different style to that of the animation in Johnny Bravo.

People also seem to think it's down to anime being more mature and grown up, but then you get plenty of western adult cartoons as well.

Cultural differences? Sure, there are some, but I wouldn't go saying that means anime is different from cartoons.

Both words are used to describe the same thing. They are both an animated medium. They are both for kids and adults. They are both just as influenced by each other. I think those who root out the differences tend to just be nit picking.

Rather than try and be technical and all that jazz, the thread is basically asking when you realized that Japanese animation wasn't the same thing as American animation, or in otherwords, when did you figure out that Japanese animation existed and that you had been watching it?

I watched Speed Racer for years without ever knowing it wasn't American animation. I watched a lot of Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, etc.. before figuring out what anime was.

• 1 month later...

Over the years I had watched things like Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball (Z) that were played on the same channels as the other 'cartoons' and I never really thought much of it, until maybe 4 or so years ago where I stumbled upon the anime/manga community and found out about Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Naruto and more recently Fairy Tail.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think for me, it just kind of happened one day. I was watching Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon, Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, and a few others without ever realizing they were anything different than American cartoons. And then one day I just learned the word "anime" and knew that stuff like Inuyasha and YuYu Hakusho were examples of it. Even after learning about anime, I think it took a while before I realized that a bunch of other things I was watching were all anime. I was young, so...

Edited by Apollo

The exact same day when I singed up in Kametsu. After watching a few Death Note episodes I started to search for more and came across the name Anime that changed my life.

Seriously it really changed me :) . And so I become addicted .... It was the most intense day in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, hard to say I guess I've always been more into the mechanical side of anime like the starship's, mechs, robots, and technology that's what really first attracted me. I was 12 what 12 year old doesn't want a Gundam in his backyard? So with that in mind I was also into the detail and it was around that time I was watching Outlaw Star and noticed the XGP's HUD was all in Kanji. A few minutes on the internet researching the reason for this and bam! The show your watching comes from Japan and there's a whole boat load of other shows that are like it and just as awesome. I'd say that was an epoch for me I found a hobby that I would hang on to for the rest of my life. Truly a good time.