When did you finally realize that Animes are different from Cartoons?

Diablo

When did you finally realize that Animes is different from Cartoons? And which Anime shows did you enjoy before that, thinking it was a Cartoon?

I used to watch an Anime called UFO Baby or Daa! Daa! Daa! when I was a kid and that was my one of my favorite Anime (Cartoon at that time).

For me it was about six years ago when I found out the difference between anime and cartoons.

I use to watch dragon ball z and thought it was a cartoon, so one day I decided to do some research on it that is when I found out what is anime and what is cartoons. But I only became a big anime fan around last year June when I started watching Bleach.

• 1 month later...

I was like 9... I was watching some cartoons on T.V. and then they played an episode of Sailor Moon (I'm like 23 so it was the only one on regular tv lol) I was hooked... It was more mature than the cartoons and the animation was amazing to me... I realized about half way thru that they had been airing a trial 'Japanimation' segment and it was well received. I and many other kids watched that for a lot of years... they expanded from SM to Dragonball and on. Then as all regular tv programs succumbed to the uprise to cable and satellite.

• 4 weeks later...

When I realized that anime could hold a linear story line, and show character development, although some animes don't do this like Shin Chan & Pokémon while some cartoons do Avatar: The Last Airbender & Code Lyoko, so there I think there is a bit of a grey area in terms of what can be considered anime & what can only be classified as cartoons.