.hack//The Movie 3D Anime to Open in January

Koby

The videogame developer CyberConnect2 opened a website to announce that the 3D animated .hack//The Movie will open in Japanese theaters next January. A promotional movie is streaming on the film’s website.

The story is set in 2024, when children have lived their entire lives since birth in a world connected by networks. A cheerful 14-year-old middle school girl named Sora Y?ki (Summer Wars’ Nanami Sakuraba) has no interest in games, but her friends get her to go into the popular network game “The World.” However, due to “a certain incident” in The World, anomalies start occurring in the real world.

The film is directed by Hiroshi Matsuyama, a franchise alumni who worked on .hack//G.U. Returner, .hack//G.U. Trilogy, .hack//Liminality, .hack//Quantum, and .hack//Roots. Kazunori Ito, writer of previous .hack works, is writing the script for the feature. CyberConnect2 sai, the animation arm of CyberConnect2, is animating the film. T?ri Matsuzaka will play Sora’s classmate Takeru Tanaka, while Kei Tanaka will play Sora’s childhood friend Tomohiko Okano.

Beginning in 2002 with .hack//SIGN video game series, the .hack franchise expanded into three television anime series, six original video anime, the .hack//G.U. Trilogy film, and several manga series.

Source: Kametsu

I absolutely love the .hack// series. The graphics look pretty, especially the scenery. Whenever it comes out with Japanese subtitles, I'd have to check it out. Though since the main character is girl, why is she playing the game as Kite? It would have been nice to have seen someone else beside Kite as the main. But I'm happy to see Balmung and Orca, I wonder what other .hack// character will appear? c:

Kids being BORN into a video game? Not that I'm complaining but this seems really similar to the Matrix. Any indication if it's gonna feature previous characters like Kite and Black Rose?

I think you misunderstood.

@Ashnay, many of the past male characters of past .hack// anime series were actually girls outside of 'The World'. So it's nothing new. I would like to see new character designs though. They keep re-using the Kite avatar.