The Differences Between Anime and Cartoon

Koby

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I suppose it depends on the type of cartoon you're watching. Avatar the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, and many of the DC Animated Universe are all considered "cartoons" and yet they are all still incredibly enjoyable for both kids and adults in the same way that anime is. These type of shows also have fairly complex characters and plots that make it interesting to watch and discuss as well, especially when they are quite simply "cartoons." That being said, quite a few of these shows draw influence from older anime in both presentation and plot development, similar to how anime first drew influence from early cartoons like Betty Boop. It is a give and take relationship that has caused many fans to be divided on what makes them different from each other. In the end, it's all just animation and perhaps it is simply just the style the show is drawn and the plot direction that really makes the difference between cartoons and anime.

I personally believe that the difference between anime and cartoons is simply the way that the characters are portrayed, in archetypical ways that will make the audience both recognize and experience for the first time, with a few deconstructions and subversions here and there. It can be argued that there can be more nudity and profanity in anime, but since the emergence of "adult cartoons" (Family Guy, King of the Hill, The Simpsons, half the animated movies of the DCAU, .etc) that point is moot unless you mean in childrens' cartoons.

There is also a camp that suggests that to be an anime it needs to be made in Japan, but I don't hold much faith in that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would never let my child watch a cartoon like Stripperella or the Boondocks. And if you think most anime is meant only for consumption by adults or that there aren't any "retarded" anime that "only a child could enjoy", I think you need to look just a little harder. Not all anime is quality--you'd be hard pressed to find a medium where everything is pure gold.

There are cartoons meant for children, just as there are anime meant for children. The opposite holds true--people seem more than willing to accept that reality for anime while continuing to keep their minds closed against the possibility there can be western animation that isn't just for children but for adults, with drama, violence, sex, and a contiguous plot. Cartoons meant for younger audiences like Ben 10 and Adventure Time, while episodic, do have a storyline and maintain continuity.

People always pull things like Spongebob as their example to represent all of western animation. Just like Hamtaro represents all of anime.

Or how about hentai? That represents all of anime, right? Everything is Bible Black.

tumblr_m9gclc9w8C1qzckow.gif

I'm not even a consumer of anime and I know that's a ridiculous argument. I don't know why people can't do the same for western animation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any difference between the two. They're just different names from different regions of the world given to the same thing, in this case animated shows. Saying how one is more childish over the other is completely irrelevant. Animation is a form of art in which people express themselves. Saying how one label is more childish is like saying how this one country or region in the world is more childish. Even is this was true no one could make the judgement call because no one has lived everywhere in the world to an extent that this person understands everything there is to understand. The limits to knowledge are infinite.

I haven't read through the whole topic, so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone, but isn't 'Anime' just a Japanese abbreviated term for 'Animation'?

'Cartoon' was originally a term used for stylised comic-like illustrations you would find in books, magazines or... comics! The term was then used to define 'Animation' due to the similarities in art-style. Afterall, animations started off as pretty much just being an animated form of these cartoon drawings.

'Anime' and 'Cartoon' are both terms used to define 'Animation'.

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, they're one and the same. Just different language. "Cartoon's" now have a number of different art-styles, and so does "Anime", so the difference between the two can't be defined by different style. Take Disney cartoons, for example. They look completely different from the likes of Ben 10, and many other western animations. Now take Studio Ghibli anime, for another example. They look completely different to the likes of Dragonball, Gundam Wing, etc.

If anyone is adamant that the two are different, then they might as well just be splitting hairs.

• 1 month later...

You can kinda look at it although both 'Anime' and 'Cartoon' are both terms used to define 'Animation', they define different types of animations.

'Anime' characters usually have distinct facial expressions with wide variations in physical characteristics. The physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than 'Cartoons'. On the other hand, 'Cartoon' characters usually have features that are not relative to the body and therefore further from reality than 'Anime'.

'Anime' usually concentrate mostly on life issues or things tied closer to human emotion whilst 'cartoons' are generally made to make people laugh and so is more comical.

It's these sort of things that allow you to easily distinguish as to whether the animation would be classified as an 'Anime' or a 'Cartoon'

Edited by Hawkester

My personal feelings towards a cartoon and an anime is if I feel like watching something that I can get up and leave and not have to pay attention, I'll watch a cartoon. Most toons that I've seen have very little if any storyline or the story would all happen in that one episode while in an anime it could drag out into a whole series.

• 11 months later...

Well the most distinguishable feature could be, Anime is animation produced in Japan; while cartoons are American or mabe rest of the world. Even though Anime is in Japanese, companies like Funimation, Viz, Sentai Filmworks, etc lincense them and release them by dubbing in English with subtitles for Japanese video text. For example, Tom and Jerry, Ben 10, Justice League, etc are cartoons while Fairy Tail, Bleach, Clannad, Soul Eater, etc are Anime.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the animation is really different if you guys pay attention. anime has alot of detail and less actual animation. in american cartoon something is always moving on screen. even in the background. i think the consent moving is why adults think cartoon should only be for kids. cause only kids would sit around and pay attention so much happening on screen

Few people will ever say anything good about a cartoon in relation to an anime, so I'm gonna play that side.

As for age group, there are cartoons that reach to older and younger audiences but they are held back by a more popularly young audience. Generally if you make it for older people, you have to make it for them in addition to making it for younger ones, or you have to make it a sitcom like comedy to get on public TV. That there lies the one major strength that has me loving cartoons though, they are REALLY good at comedy. So many animes have scenes that just make me wonder "why even bother" because it's the same joke every other anime has done with the same trope personality characters with predictable payoff. I've seen so many animes from so many genres and I do love them, but the only ones I would show people for the comedy is Cromartie High and Panty&Stocking. 

Cartoons meanwhile are so zero'd in on comedy, they've come up with so many creative set ups and brands of humor and large variety of characters and situations. Oh, and TIMING. Timing is the most important and hardest piece of comedy to do right and I rarely see an anime with good timing (which isn't too shocking given they're focusing on so many other things). Each show has it's own unique style and brand of humor. It might be just 1 trick, but we do it well and shows even as far as King of the Hill have made it all the way to Japan the same way Anime makes it here.

There are always exceptions to the rule such as Animes that can be really funny or Cartoons that have a really good story and well animated action, but generally the other way around is what I tune into each for and they each serve their purpose. Also cartoons are growing, as slowly as that's happening. Cartoons, even the comedies are starting to spawn a lot of lore and continuity. Characters are becoming deeper and more interesting with strong continuity.

Edited by power-mad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Animes have better art and story than cartoons. Some Cartoons are mostly there for humor, something animes don't do particularly well, is also a major difference between the two.

The reason I still watch cartoons. Whoever says animes are more mature than cartoons are full of it(boondocks, south park).

There are a few exceptions(avatar series) which has just as good storys as animes and still as good humor.

So I guess the main difference between the two is that animes are japanese and cartoons are american. Also cartoons are more funny than animes.

Ps: It looks like I'm taking sides with cartoons but animes will always be my favourite.

Edited by kakashi14