Do you prefer the shorter anime or the longer anime?

Xanodus

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally I think it depends solely on the anime. I have seen many that I wish were longer, but that's what made them so great (they left me wanting more) and others that just got dragged on and on and should have stopped a long time ago. Though there are those few that are quite long that I am still watching and quite enjoying and I have also seen anime that were quite short and need to have been longer to add more depth and less rush to them. So if it's a good anime, then just let it be however many it be. But if I were looking for a specific length of anime, I would say 24-26 episodes is a nice length.

I like the 12-24 episode short series, even if they have a second or third season, as they tend to be, in my opinion, more unique and contain more depth. When I think of long anime I think of dragon ball/DBZ, bleach, pokemon, etc. and they have their place, I watch em, but compared to things like xxxholic, elfen lied, fruits basket, baccano etc. I find them sorely lacking, its like comparing a normal tv sitcom with a hollywood production, they are very different and are approached differently. Both have their place, but in most cases the hollywood films have better quality per hour watched than a tv series. With that said, I also don't think you can tell much of a story in only an hour or two, while at the same time, after watching dbz I have to ask "how much of the series was nothing more then two macho dudes screaming while their muscles bulged to ridiculous proportions, personally I wish they would stop screaming and just hit each other already, as I said, I liked dbz but in comparison to, oh say, samurai champloo I find it lacking.

Well, it does really depend. I'd say an anime with a truly epic story, animations, action, and characters that can be expanded (not really added) should last about 100 episodes in my opinion. There are TOO MANY animes that should've been expanded especially because the stories were very incomplete(like Tenjou Tenge or Claymore). Some animes were very good being short with 12-50 episodes though (like Elfen Lied or Death Note).

I have a profound dislike for long series'. I prefer shorter, complete, and better told stories than long winded stories that never seem to end. I have tried watching Bleach, both Narutos and now I've tried OP, and to be honest I find them all lacking. None of the cliffhanger appeal they are supposed to have, none of the hyped up zaz. Such I prefer a series that's story is complete, detailed and all round fun to watch. The longest I will go for a series is about 50 eps, and only if it is good.

I like anime with 13-26 episodes the most. However I do like some longer anime from time to time, such as FMA (and Brotherhood), Death Note, Fairy Tail and Soul Eater. Blood+ on the other hand, I felt that could have been cut short to about the same amount of episodes as Death Note, and felt it dragged on a bit (as much as I hate to say it because I thought it was great).

To me personally, it depends on the series itself. Some anime like Inoyasha in my IMHO should be shorter. Fighting demons on almost every episode becomes repetitive that it becomes boring to watch. Sometimes I beg for them to just end the series to conclude the story already and move on to the next.