Primus - Nemaria Universe

nemarious

Would you like to see Primus be restarted?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Primus be restarted?

• Yes
    • No

As a positive it will at least give me a chance to catch up on some other hobbies. I can't tell you how many books I've got to read. Plus, I should be able to catch up on anime. Some fan favorites like code geass and fma brotherhood as well more recent series like kekkaishi and fairytail.

I think when I do start the project up again I'll make it episodic, like a group of short stories so that I can finish and therefore publish completed versions quicker.

On a funnier note, I've returned from the hospital as I broke my middle finger from punching a wall. I can't even swear at things anymore ffs. God, I sound so emo...

I've begun writing the plot of the game into a story. I would say short story but the one I had to do for my GCSEs ended up being 12 pages and I was limited to only a B due to "excessive length". So I can't tell you how long it will end up being. I have a habit of making things far longer than they need to be. I think you could probably tell that from some of my posts though. This one for example...

Anyway, I'm undecided as to whether to make it an affectionate parody of J-RPGs as a genre or leave it as a more serious work - there's a poll in the thread - I hope you check it out.

Primus - Thy Guided Hand Story

• 1 month later...

Have you made any progress to getting a new PC and being able to check on if the data still exists on the old one? I'm really interested in this game, for the fact from what I've seen it's seemed to be a really sturdy fan-made game that could rival many of the classic RPG's of the GBA era that I've played and compared to the stuff made by the so called 'professionals' lately.. I'm looking forward to this game more than say FF13-2.

Have you made any progress to getting a new PC and being able to check on if the data still exists on the old one? I'm really interested in this game, for the fact from what I've seen it's seemed to be a really sturdy fan-made game that could rival many of the classic RPG's of the GBA era that I've played and compared to the stuff made by the so called 'professionals' lately.. I'm looking forward to this game more than say FF13-2.

Firstly let me thank you for the great praise, that sort of response was what I wished for. If at least one person enjoyed it then it would have been worthwhile.

A new pc has been priced up but my old one was so dated I couldn't even buy the parts to replace them now. about £900 is what I'm looking at but my friend is giving me a spare one of his (his "spare" is better than mine was :/) so I should have a pc fairly soon. As for the data, I'm pretty sure that will be ermm shafted? Is that ok? I don't know the forums policy on swearing. One of the platters has become corrupted so the chances are the others will have too. I will most likely have to recreate all the stuff, including the graphics like the title screen that idl12 helped with.

I have been writing the story up in a different thread over here, because I figured I wouldn't be restarting this and I'd work on a sequel instead. However, if there is enough "fan" demand for it then I would consider restarting it but I'm not sure on the releases. I don't know whether it would be better to wait until it's done when you would easily have over 15-20 hours of gameplay but would take me well over a year to do or to do periodic releases like I was doing but seemingly garnered no interest in it from the community.

All in all, it's down to you Kametsu. I'll add a poll to the thread for 1 month, if people want to see the game continue then it will be restarted. If not, I'll continue with my thread in the Art & Lit board and work on a sequel when I get my new pc.

I will have to start from scratch again. I cannot open the encrypted databases as much as you can. Supposedly there are ways of hacking into them but I can't really be bothered. There are things I want to change anyway such as the monsters and stuff so it'll be best to start again. I have an external HDD so I'll be using that for backup in future so we shouldn't have this problem.

So far most people that have voted in the poll would like to see it restarted so that will probably happen. I'm a bit too busy at the moment with starting uni again so when that dies down and I have my friends spare PC I'll get started again.

There's very little I need to make again. The only things that will take me a while to get back will be the music I was using, the custom chibis and facesets and I think that's about it. Obviously there is also the scripts but I still have a repository I made years ago that has the majority of them in. It'll probably take me an evening to get back up and running again but after that it's back to business.

Hello, Kametsu. Four people have said yes to Primus - TGH being restarted which is more than enough for me as I enjoy making games in my spare time anyway. Thanks to Ragnawind's brilliant info I've managed to salvage the custom graphics and the sounds I had been using in my previous version. I have a base setup which I can use for a lot of the scripts so I should be up and running within a fortnight after I've got the database all sorted.

I plan on releasing the game only when it is complete as I start Uni again next week so I highly doubt I'll be able to stick to any kind of release schedule. If you subscribe to the thread you won't miss a single update.

I will be using this thread as a sort of 'developer's diary' style thing with updates on how the project is going and screenshots of all the cool things going on. I plan on doing this at least once a month but bi-weekly is probably more likely to be the average. I'll be straight with you, I have a sort of OCD thing where I check the site everyday anyway but I always check my own threads religiously and I always respond to any question someone asks so it'll probably be more than bi-weekly as well to be honest.

For example, today I've been working on the Title and Game Over screens. I think they look a touch more professional (especially the Game Over one) but I chose to stick to a rather minimalist look. Partly because I can't really do any better but also because I think it doesn't look too professional which I would - bizarrely - prefer. You'll notice something nice on the title screen and something else which might confuse you a bit but that's part of the fun for you. I'll put the images in spoiler tags so this post doesn't get too much longer than it already is.

New Title Screen

primusle.jpg

New Game Over Screen

primusend.jpg

EDIT: Oooh, exactly 36,000 gil after that post :confuse:

I've added a couple of extra features to the game which should make things a bit easier.

I've figured out a system for doing a zoom-style spell for anyone that has played the DQ games. For those that haven't this will let you instantly teleport (for a manna cost of course) to any salient town or city you have visited previously. This should aid particularly in the fifth chapter of the game when there is a bit of travelling involved or when you want to check back on quests, like the Battle Testing chain that starts in Alydra.

Also, I've decided to add another feature in the style of many RPGs where there is seemingly worthless items that someone in the world fanatically collects. Examples include the mini-medals in every DQ game and the seeds from Lost Odyssey for example. There will be a total of 50 in all to collect and you will be rewarded for every 5 that you exchange. I think this is a nice way to encourage you to check every nook and cranny for these things as there will be some nice stuff as rewards. I have plans to have an accessory that allows you to completely resist multiple status effects like poison and sleep as well as one that increases exp gain or reduces encounter rates etc.

EDIT: For now I'm working on a proper concept document. Game Designers and studios in general use these to flesh out the ideas they have in their head to a proper game. Not only does this help me to plan better but it also gives me ideas for content size. For example after planning out the majority of the Alydran continent I can tell you there are already 40 different monsters planned - including 1 superboss - as well as 15 side quests and access to 16 synthesis items already by that point. When I've done the document completely I'll take a print screen of the contents pages so you can muse over the headings.

After completing the concept document I'll be moving onto the actual game database which will be much easier to make after having it all planned out. I'm going to update my first post as well with some little details like what I'm currently working on and the next three things I will be working on so you can always just pop in and see what I'm doing.

This series (yes, you read that right :P) is very much a labour of love so I'm glad there are people that are intrigued by it. I had kind of become pissed off with the process after my PC committed suicide but I am definitely fired up for it again. I thank you all for your kind support.

Following on from Wednesdays announcement, I've decided I'm going to add another little something. Anyone that has played the Fable series of games will be familiar with Demon Doors. Well, this announcement is something along those lines. A total of 5 doors will be scattered around the world and will require end-game style achievements to have been completed. Examples of these sort of things include high-level requirements, having killed every monster or made every alchemy item.

Like I said, they will very much be things to aim for after you have completed the main game. It will be impossible, for example, for you to have killed every monster without having beaten the end boss. These Doors will hide bonus dungeons with super-bosses at the end. The fifth door will be the hardest to open and will hide only the most powerful of all super-bosses in it. I figured it would be nice challenge for those sorts of people that have to have completed everything because I won't be making this easy. There will be no mercy...

NB: I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be able to check on some of these things like having killed everything so I may have to change what you need to do to get in there to meet the limitations of the RPG Maker engine. Regardless, the nasties lying inside will be the same, mwuhahahahahahaaaaa

I haven't got a finalized timetable for Uni yet but this week isn't as bad as I thought. I'll have Thursday and Friday to work on the game. It doesn't seem like I'll have a complete day off which is a shame but it won't be finalized until Wednesday at the earliest. I'll try to work for at least 5 hours a week on the game (I should be able to fit an hour a day in most week days) so progress should be fairly steady.

As usual, I'll continue to try to keep you guys in the loop.

I plan on having another little competition up once I've finished on the concept document which will probably take me another week at least at this pace. Watch this space.

Little update now. I said I'd provide images and stuff so I thought I'd give a sneak peek at how Alydra (Capital) will look. I found a sketch I had done way back when the project had started for the first time and then made a cleaner digital version in Fireworks. The digital version shows key points of interest in each zone and the original shows you that everything looks like a straight line when you draw it...

Original:

alydrasketch.jpg

Digital:

alydracleanedup.jpg

The new additions sound great. I may not reply to every post but I have been reading them every time you post an update. I see you added Kametsu to the title screen. xD

Yeah, without encouragement from members, such as you and the others that voted in the poll, I most likely wouldn't have bothered to restart it and we'd already be on a different game, never finding out the result of Leni's quest.

Also, I'm only planning on uploading the finished version here, although I'm sure it'll be picked up by the many trawlers that pick up your anime links, but either way because of those things it felt like a nice tribute. Plus, it might get some new members which is always a plus.

Alright, my timetable for this semester has been finalized and there is some good news and some bad news. A copy of the timetable is in the spoiler tags for anyone that is interested

49189370.jpg

The Good:

Right, so basically, last year I was on a different course but two of the modules from that I have already passed to B+ so I don't need to repeat them this year. That means I have a lot more free time than I would have otherwise which is always going to be nice when you're developing a game. You see the big ass gap on Monday? Well for this Monday coming I'll be using that time to continue working on the Concept Document so that's a win-win for Primus really.

The Bad:

Because I'm not doing all the modules this year, they are not charging me the full amount of Tuition Fee they would normally charge me. Because of this, I'm only getting between 1/2 and 2/3 of the money in grants and shit that I got last year so there will be far less money going around for my own personal use. The majority of it will be spent on rent and food and other 'essentials' so my plans for my PC are going to have to be put on hold. Fortunately, I do have this spare of my friends so development won't need to stop. I guess this is only a bad point from my perspective really, eh?

Anyway, overall, this semester is good for Primus development because I have lots of free time and less money so I won't be able to afford distraction like FIFA 12 or the last Christopher Paolini book (:() but Primus gains from this semesters timetable. Next semester will be busier again because I'll have more modules again but that isn't till like the end of January so it's all good so far.

Less of announcement and more a notice today, I'm adding another little thing, more homage than a feature. Anybody that has played the Final Fantasy games will of course know of recurring characters Biggs and Wedge. Well, seen as though much of my love for rpgs came from what were originally two companies I will be adding a character called Square and one called Enix into the series, they will feature in all the games I make.

I'm sure, as we're talking of recurring Final Fantasy characters your thoughts may have strayed to Cid. I have plans for one of them too.

Koby, this is aimed directly at you and seen as you say you read all of my updates I won't need to pm you :). I plan on using your namesake as my Cid and am hereby asking for permission before I add him into the plans. He would also appear in all the games I make.

I thought of you as, like most of the Cids, you helped me immensely in getting my drive and inspiration back for this game so it would be a nice way to immortalize my gratitude. If you could be so kind as to let me know what you think I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm sure, as we're talking of recurring Final Fantasy characters your thoughts may have strayed to Cid. I have plans for one of them too.

Koby, this is aimed directly at you and seen as you say you read all of my updates I won't need to pm you :). I plan on using your namesake as my Cid and am hereby asking for permission before I add him into the plans. He would also appear in all the games I make.

I thought of you as, like most of the Cids, you helped me immensely in getting my drive and inspiration back for this game so it would be a nice way to immortalize my gratitude. If you could be so kind as to let me know what you think I'd greatly appreciate it.

That'd be awesome. xD Wonder what he'd look like.

That'd be awesome. xD Wonder what he'd look like.

Well, like most Cids, his appearance will change from game to game and there's a limit to the amount of chibis I can make with the stuff I use.

I'm sure if you ask the graphics department they could make one how you like. I'm not entirely sure of the specifications at the moment because I'm a couple hundred miles from home until tonight and then I have uni tomorrow but I'm sure the 6 hour gap will be enough time for me to find out. Of course another alternative would be that I could use the pictures you have on your Facebook and MySpace.

I already know where all three will go in Primus so I do have some ideas of how I would have them look but if you'd rather have a more permanent design that would be fine too.

Okay, I got back early so this is an example of what you should do/ask for if you want to make one yourself.

guideline.png

This is the sort of thing you need. Each image is a 32x32 sprite aligned in a 3x4 grid. They should start facing top and then face a different direction in an anti-clockwise rotation. On the left side they should have what they look like having moved their right foot, on the right side what they look like moving their left foot and in the middle they should just be standing still facing whatever direction.

samplegu.png

And this is a example of the sort of thing that you would end up with.