Primus - Nemaria Universe

nemarious

Would you like to see Primus be restarted?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Primus be restarted?

• Yes
    • No

Back To Nemaria Universe Games Hub

nemarialogo.png

Primus is the first game in the Nemaria Universe series. It features a WGB (Wait-Gauge Battle) system and Overdrives for real FF7 style combat.

Currently working on: Game Design Document
Next working on:

• Game database
  • Resource importing
  • Script editing

Planned Release: TBC 2013

Character Profiles:

Main Characters:

Leni:

lenifaceset.png

Full Name: Commander Lenithrin Vi Divinus
Class: Hero/Paladin
Height: 6' 1"
Birthplace: Unknown
Preferred Fighting Distance: Close range
Preferred Weapon Style: Sword & Shield
Alternate Weapon Style: Bow & Arrows

Status Ratings:
HP - 6.5
MP - 6
Attack - 6.5
Defense - 6
Spirit - 6
Agility - 6.5

Skillset:
Combat techniques
Advanced level thunder & wind spells
Basic level healing, buffing and status inflicting spells

Description:
He is a good all-round soldier with a good grasp of both physical and magical combat. He will help any one in need. He can be cunning and intelligent but also a bit naive as he has little real world experience despite his age. He generally only speaks when spoken to and tends to keep his thoughts to himself except around those he knows well. He has an average sense of humour but dislikes being the butt of a joke. He dislikes pranks and his time being wasted. He does not care for money and possessions but he ensures he keeps his equipment very clean.

Five words to describe Leni would be obsessive, organised, quiet, charitable and insightful.

Notes:

• 'Leni' as a name for a character originates from the first RPG Maker Game I ever made. I made 3 versions of what I called 'Adventum'. The first was using a ROM of the first RPG Maker that was released on the playstation. The second I made using VB but that was more for my assignment at college which required the use of a backend database. The third I remade using RPG Maker VX, the software I use now in my second year of college, two and a half years ago.
  • The 'Vi' in Leni's name is a reference to Code Geass. No particular reason (I've only the seen the first season of the show) I just wanted a surname that was two parted and didn't want to use real world things like Van or De.

Takeru:

takerofaceset.png

Full Name: Takeru Mikoto
Class: Battle Priest
Height: 5' 11"
Birthplace: Ehatia
Preferred Fighting Distance: Long Distance
Preferred Fighting Style: Staves
Alternative Fighting Style: Spear & Shield

Status Ratings:
HP - 5
MP - 7.5
Attack - 4
Defense - 4.5
Spirit - 7.5
Agility - 7

Skillset:
Advanced level healing, buffing and light spells.
Basic combat techniques

Description:
Takeru set out on a journey to learn more about the world. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge and will always express his opinions based on what he knows not passion or instinct. He is quite chatty which leads to some strange encounters when he joins Leni. He meditates frequently and has always been interested in medicine hence his knowledge of healing and light-based spell trees. He does not like violence but is an adept fighter. He can be stickler for manners. He would rather beat people with words than weapons. He does not deal well with hot places and can be a bit whiny but not annoyingly so. Once he sets a goal he will always aim for it until he succeeds.

Five words to describe Takeru would be intelligent, talkative, polite, inquisitive and determined.

Notes:

• Takeru was named by a member of the Kametsu forums after he won an art contest. The name was an ideal suggestion as it can be written as health in Kanji, http://en.wikipedia....ki/Takeru_(name).
  • I've been spelling this name as Takero for a long time, even in the image above ^^. Takeru is the correct spelling, it was just a mistake.

Alysha:

alyshafaceset.png

Full Name: Alysha Dalton
Class: Mage
Height: 5’ 5”
Birthplace: Unknown/Assumed Alydra
Preferred Fighting Distance: Long Distance
Preferred Fighting Style: Staves
Alternate Fighting Style: Daggers/Dagger & Shield

Status Ratings:
HP – 4.5
MP – 7.5
Attack – 3.5
Defense – 4.5
Spirit - 8
Agility – 7.5

Skillset:
Advanced level Fire, Ice, Earth, Water, Light, debuffing spells
Most status inflicting spells
Basic combat techniques (Dagger related)

Description:
Has little memory of her past. Was brought up In the Church in Alydra but decided to leave to explore the world. She has an aggressive nature and will happily test her strength against anyone. Some people mock her short height but she cares little for other people’s opinions, which often makes her appear arrogant and pretentious. She suffers from repeated dreams of being surrounded by trees and has a strong interest in all aspects of nature. She is quite lazy and tends to be fired up only by the thought of fighting a new opponent. She cares little for fashion but dislikes being in dirty places.

Five words to describe Alysha would be aggressive, lazy, curious, fanciful and confrontational.

Notes:
  • I've never been very good with coming up with female names, male characters I'm fine with; I even have a list of ideas for male characters in my RPG Maker resources folder. Alysha's name actually comes from my brother's current girlfriend after I asked her permission. There is no connection between the looks or attitude to the character and her though.
  • Speaking of the attitude of the character, we've all watched anime shows where there a male characters that a ridiculously aggressive, Black Star from Soul Eater being the one that comes to mind while I'm typing this. I wanted to turn that on it's head and do a female character with that kind of attitude just to make it a little different.

Dakin:

dakinfaceset.png

Full Name: Dakin Tul’Praand
Class: Cabaleer
Height: 6’ 3”
Birthplace: Malmasc
Preferred Fighting Distance: Close Range
Preferred Fighting Style: Two-Handed Axes (Power > Accuracy)
Alternate Fighting Style: Two-Handed Swords (Accuracy > Power)

Status Ratings:
HP – 8
MP – 4
Attack – 8
Defense – 5.5
Spirit – 5
Agility – 5

Skillset:
Advanced level Dark spells
Advanced level combat techniques
Basic debuffing spells (speed & power)
Basic buffing spells (speed & power)

Description:
As a member of the tribe currently ruling Malmasc, he is a Prince of the arid country. His surname literally means ‘the prince’. Raised to be a warrior by the culture of his homeland, he has always been strong but is not very muscular. He wears epaulettes to rest his weapons on. He favours power over accuracy arguing that landing a hit wherever it may be will end a fight a lot quicker than what he calls ‘proper’ fighting which shows he has some respect for it. He can come across as stupid but he tends to just accept other views rather than fighting his case. He fights when forced to, contradictive to the nature of his people. Even in difficult situations he is hard to fluster. He tends to know what to say to get people laughing.

Five words to describe Dakin would be strong, perceptive, witty, noble and laid-back.

Notes:
  • Dakin's name also comes from a friend of mine. I wanted to put as many people I know into the game. I was also pretty bored when I started making the characters and couldn't really be bothered with making up names.

Easter Egg Characters:

Still under construction, nothing to see here.

Other Named Characters:

Still under construction, nothing to see here.

Real World Theme Song

Lyrics:

The story is over,
It's finished, it is done
The dream that you had
Has vanished in the haze

Standing in front
Of the ruin you've built up
Shocked to the bones
And smashed down

When giants fall and angels cry
You know - it's hard to save the day

The final word is said and done,
The story ends where it began,
You have to face the emptiness.
There is no way to talk it out,
There is no way to work it out,
You know that's when the rain falls down.

The higher you set your goals,
The deeper you may fall,
Sometimes life just isn't fair.

You are a restless fighter,
You stand up when you fall,
Even if you can't see it now.

When giants fall and angels cry,
You know - it's hard to save the day.

There is no doubt that you are done,
The story ends not yet begun,
Come on and face the emptiness.
There is no way to hide away,
You cannot run you have to stay,
Stand still and watch the rain fall down.

There is no doubt that you are done,
The story ends not yet begun,
Come on and face the emptiness.
There is no way to hide away,
You cannot run you have to stay,
Stand still and watch the rain fall down.

Reasons:
I already had the end of the game in mind when I heard this song on the way to Uni. I've been listening to the band for years and it just struck me as a brilliant song for the themes I had in mind for that final scene, particularly these two sections

The higher you set your goals,
The deeper you may fall,
Sometimes life just isn't fair.

I'm sure when the full game is realeased and you get to the end you'll understand my reasoning a little bit better:)

Disclaimer:
Primus - Thy Guided Hand or the Nemaria Universe as a whole is in no way endorsed or sponsored by Primal Fear, any of its member or their publisher. I hereby lay no claim the lyrics or song mentioned in this post, they are sole property of their respective copyright holders.

BETA TESTING:

If you would be interested in beta testing the game prior to it's official release just write a quick post in this thread and I'll add you to the list. I'm gathering people that may be interested now but that does not obligate you to test when the time comes. More details will be forthcoming at that time.

Here's what you get for beta testing:

• Credited in text file provided with the game DL.
  • Credited in end of game credits under both Testing and Special Thanks sections.
  • Named NPC in game.
  • Advance access to the game. Play it before anyone else. Admittedly in a slightly buggy state but still...
Edited by nemarious
  • Like 1

Rpg maker vx to be precise but yeah. I also used rpgmakervx.net for the majority of the scripts. I've made a shorter game before - about two hours total gameplay - and I definitely learnt a lot from that. If only I could be arsed to learn ruby I'd make my own scripts. Just too lazy when there's too much awesome already out there.

For anyone that's got to the end already, I'm away this weekend but ill begin working on Irvine mine and through onto the market town of Trapern which is where you'll not only get your second character but also your first sidequests :)

Also the competition on the art is no longer open. I can very much use idl's sketch with a little colouring. And also use his sword for a foundation for the end screen. Which reminds me, ill have to go and ask him what he wants to call himself in game :)

[update Delayed]

This weeks update will be later than normal guys and gals. First of all, sorry for that BUT! I have some very good news for you. I found an awesome battle system by a guy called ziifee which makes a lot of aesthetic changes which are all very nice of course but the main point is we now have ATB style combat!!! That's right, we've gone from pokemon style 'fastest first' combat to final fantasy 6+ (most people think FF7 brought the ATB in but it didn't. All FF7 added was limit break/overdrive/other rip-off name). Speaking of Limit breaks, I'm considering adding them in, but at the moment I am unsure as to whether it'll be compatible with this system.

Alright, so because of changing all the battle system the game is a bit unbalanced at the moment. When I made the game with the standard battle system all the mobs had similar agility to you when that transferred to the new system I got owned after two fights with slimes... I also may add a script that means you are healed after every battle, a la FF13 but I haven't decided.

I will most likely upload what will be version 0.1b with all the new gameplay changes when I've decided what they're going to be and normalized the battles a bit. Remember kids, with a normal battle system rats that are slightly faster than you is fine but with the new one getting hit for 45 every half a second is not! On the other hand, I might just leave it until the whole of v0.2 (Irvine Mine, Trapern and Mt. Gaix - a volcano are mapped and evented) but that won't be until next week sometime.

Also! Other updates - just so you don't think I've been doing nothing - include a new main menu and gameplay scenes with the art provided by idl12 coloured by me to fit the green style I've been going with. PLUS! The game has a new sub-title which was originally inspired by guitar hero world tour actually.

Speaking of titles, if a wondering mod or admin guy sees this, could they rename the thread to just 'Primus released' please. I don't want repeat visitors thinking it hasn't been updated with the V0.1 at the end.

Must remember to upload screenshots...

[EDIT] I found a patch that allows limit breaks to function with the battle system I'm using. Look forward to them. My plans are currently with them being passive like an all party buff or all party healing for free rather than over the top attacks that kill things in one shot. Although that may just be because I don't fancy doing the animations we'll see.

Can't wait man, I've noticed a few bugs, but they're pretty obvious to spot, like the BGM for the for the scene(like the rain falling) comes in to soon after a battle and drowns out the fanfare and it seems that in the first town you go to, it also rains inside buildings.

Can't wait man, I've noticed a few bugs, but they're pretty obvious to spot, like the BGM for the for the scene(like the rain falling) comes in to soon after a battle and drowns out the fanfare and it seems that in the first town you go to, it also rains inside buildings.

The BGM cutting in too soon I can't really do anything about, it's just the way RPG maker handles it. I can try removing a battle victory sound completely but I would prefer to keep it in because it's from DragonQuest and those games are a personal favourite of mine.

As for the rain I know why that is happening. I haven't had a complete run through of the game for a while - I've just been testing the events of certain areas by starting in certain bits (the flashback scene or before the first boss) to make sure everything works. I can fix it with one line of code... hang on, it's only 02.14 here, I'll do it now... and done! Thanks for the report.

I'm having some difficulty with script compatibility at the moment. Drove me nuts this afternoon so I had some beers and I'll have another look after going to the dentist tomorrow. Man, I hate dentists. I'll be there for 5 minutes and have to give him £26.

The last time I touched RPG Maker, was when I used RPG Maker 2000... geesh, that was a long time ago.. how does this one compare to the older versions?

Having only ever used vx I can't really tell you. The only thing I know that didn't make it from 200x series was casting animations for spells as in when someone casts a spell it plays a little animation before the actual spell animation. As for later than that, in xp, the version before vx, they had better passage setting for tiles than in vx. There are still issues with vx, like it only being able to create bitmap of a certain size which can cause a crash or monsters that died with a status effect can reappear on screen when the status effect ends.

Largely, these things don't matter anyway because you'll find, if you make your own games, that you can pretty much change everything from the default with scripts anyway.

I figured I'd keep you guys posted while you're waiting for this update. I'm sorry it's taking so long but they're are some good reasons, they are as follows:

• I have updated the battle theme. This now uses a Wait Guage battle system similar to FFVI(6), FFVI(7) and FFIX(9) battle system.

• I have also implemented a three-tiered Overdrive system. Similar to FFVII's(7) Limit Break system except three tiers.
    • Each character has three over drive skills, the first requires 1 full bar and is unlocked pretty early (Leni, the main character unlocks his after about 10 mins in). All the first tiered abilities are attacks that are about 1.5x stronger than a normal attack.

• Tier two abilities are all passive and will be unlocked after about 60-70mins in for Leni. Don't be put off by 'passive' they will be helpful. Leni's for example buffs all party members main stats by (att, def, spi, agi) by 20% and they will take two full bars.

• Third tier skills will take all three full bars but will be very powerful. The Mage's for example will be a high-powered magic attack that hits all enemies and has all four main elements in it so most things will be killed.

• I think this adds some strategy to combat. Do you wait for a higher level or use a lower one?

[*]Thirdly, I'm implementing a item synthesis system so you'll be able to make your own items. Examples include healing items, armour, weapons and some of the best accessories in the game.

[*]I'm also toying around with several interface improving scripts. Things like giving more detailed information on items and skills both in battle and out. This will tell you exact details like hit rate for skills as well as any elemental affinities they have.

The majority of the delay comes from either having to rebalance the game for all these updates, things like item rate drops for the Synthesizable items and balancing agility and attack for the monsters due to the change in combat system as well as balancing spell and skill mana costs etc.

Not only that, but the person that originally signed up for testing the game has now gone into hospital to have an operation on his spine (something to do with vertebrae at the bottom of it) so I'm having to do all the unit and system testing myself which, of course, means that I have no black box testing either.

One other thing of note is that Save files will NOT be compatible with future versions due to all these changes. They may well load but anyone that has gotten past the first Nymph boss will not be able to get Leni's first overdrive skill. Besides that, you will not be able to get the Slime Goo items for healing items of the slimes in the starting area.

As such I recommend anyone currently using either V0.1 or V0.1a delete that stuff because it will be by far inferior to version 0.1b which I plan to release either Tuesday or Wednesday. Once again, I thank you for your patience.

Christ, I feel like I'm making the sequel to Duke Nukem: Forever with the amount of delays coming through. My motherboard decided to kill itself for some reason Tuesday night so I have been unable to do anything. I'm writing this update through my phone. I've ordered a replacement board which should be with me early next week so hopefully I'll have an update for you guys by the end of next week.

Things are gradually fitting together in my head. Excellent new idea over recent days but that won't be implemented until at least version 0.3 maybe 0.4. Basically, it'll be gathering skills akin to most mmos.

Currently I have plans for mining, woodcutting and fishing although more maybe added. The main point of this will be for synthesis where you'll be able to make exclusive items at high levels. I'll probably do a tiered system so you need to get lv 70 mining or whatever and you then get access to a new rock.

Examples of the exclusive item include health regenerating armour from mining, stat boosting potions from fishing and various awesome weapons through a combination of mining and woodcutting.

Most of the weapons won't be stronger than the legendary weapons each character can get but they will have different effects that normal weapons can't get.

If you have any other suggestions feel free to comment in this thread or, of course, pm me.

Once again, though, I can only apologise for the continuing delays but the game is getting better and better.

Yay! more waiting but With all the improvements you say you've got lined up. I guess it's worth it.

Like I say it's typical, one thing after another. I've got plenty of ideas, and, by and large, the scripts I want to use are all pretty much there now so it's just making content. Hopefully I can get something new up sometime next week so you can at least see the new battle system and stuff.

Well, my new mobo just arrived but as it's 8:15pm over here I can't be arsed to put it in today. Besides, having had a few drinks, I know from experience that alcohol and electrical components tend not to mix too well.

I hope to have an updated demo up by friday. This will most likely not have any new areas to complete but will feature new menu layouts, a new battle system, your first sidequest (new in Irvine) and your first Overdrive skills. Plus, you'll be able to start receiving your first few synthesis items.

After that work will begin proper on version 0.2 which will have new content areas and your first proper dungeon to explore (Irvine Mine will be mostly linear, reasons for this will be fairly obvious if you complete the quest) as well as art contest winner idl12's inspired priest Takero will be joining the fun as you climb Mt. Gaix.

Just a reminder, save files may load from the previous 2 little versions but I would recommend starting again. If you don't you will be at a major disadvantage because you won't be able to unlock Leni's first Overdrive skill.

I would just like to thank you, once again, for your patience with me. I know this game will be a good time waster, granted not on the scale of FF games for sure, but it should be good fun for fans of the genre.

[update V0.1b revision]

Alright, folks, it's 23.47 over here on Thursday July 21st as I start writing this post so technically this update is 13 whole minutes early.

As I warned, I haven't had time to create any new areas for you to explore yet but here's a rundown of what new.

• Whole new FF7 (ATB + Limit Break) combat system
  • Your first side-quest with added quest tracking once you accept the first quest. (it's in Irvine so you don't wander around looking for it)
  • The beginnings of the synthesis system. You can begin collecting the items. Bear in mind the majority of these items will be available to buy at some point so there's no need to grind for them.
  • Better interfaces. The item, skill and status menus have added functionality.
  • New art work. The menu screen and game over screen have been updated. Also, characters have new chibis and face artwork.

Also as noted, old save files will not be compatible. I Know I've said this a million times but I don't want people complaining that their old files don't work anymore.

I will try to get some screenshots up at some point tomorrow but I make no promises. I think the first post in general needs some work so I'll get onto that, then it's time to make some new areas for you to explore. Enjoy.

[upate V0.1c revision]

I have added a new script (Limit Break by KGC) this has allowed me to limit the levels you guys can get to. My main purpose in doing that is so that you don't become uber powerful if you decide to grind to collect synthesis items from monsters.

Also, when I was testing that that was working it was raining inside Irvine Inn for some reason even though it wasn't when I was play-testing last night. So anyway, I have nerfed all weather effects. I basically just put the no weather effects command on every map after the ship up until Irvine because there shouldn't be any rain there.

I'm re-uploading as we speak and its at... 74% so it should be available again in a minute or two. I have no idea why it skipped a graphics file, maybe the compressing messed up or something.

I played through a few slime battles, so far I'm loving the new battle system, the battle interface is a welcome improvement as well, and the new look for the main char does seem more fitting for the role he seems to have. Good work man.

First off all, thanks for the feedback.

I'm glad you prefer the combat system. Let's face it, if you're going make an old school rpg the combat system is very important. The interface is also a lot better. I would have preferred not to use the spinning gauge but its an integral part of the script so without learning ruby and rewriting it there's not that much I can do. As for the face of Leni, I feel that the fringe is a little too long but there was no better alternative. I just think it makes him look a little too emo which isn't really what I had in mind for him.

I'm sure you're looking forward to seeing what I've done with Takero too. He should have an interesting back story which is always nice. I don't think he looks bad either. As a person he is both calm and cautious but can be quick tempered. Also, being a priest he is very compassionate and has a strong sense of justice and reliability.

As for the rest of the party. Alysha, the mage, will join us around Alydra in v0.3 and Malmascan warrior Dakin will be joining at some point after that. Alysha is a quick-witted, bubbly individual who enjoys practical jokes but is somewhat vain and can be condescending. Dakin is your usual cocky powerhouse but has an air of mystery around him.

I still very much enjoy making the game because it gives me something to do, plus having played them all my life its a chance to say "this is how it should be done."

[upate V0.1c revision]

I have added a new script (Limit Break by KGC) this has allowed me to limit the levels you guys can get to. My main purpose in doing that is so that you don't become uber powerful if you decide to grind to collect synthesis items from monsters.

Just don't limit it too much. Some of us like to grind in some spots. I disliked that in FF13 they made it to where you have to progress to certain parts of the story before you could level up your characters on the Crystal thing. I enjoyed staying in an area for a while leveling up a little, not too much but enough to make the oncoming fights easier if I had a tough time the try before.