Applaud Smite?

-PHXN- New001

Who is smiting you? You have -2? O.o

Hmm.. Its a feature of SMF, it's called "Karma". Though I wish it were more like the Rep system of IPB in which tells you who gave you a rep and the reason for doing so because then it's more reliable. I'll check into seeing if there is some way of doing just that.

There COULD be prizes in the future... but I just don't know what would be good to give. LOL

Oh I had no idea about them. Didnt know what they meant until you just said something about them.

Well thanks for answering that question. Prizes would be nice for the future of course.

Well I got +1 Karma so I must have done something right for someone.

new members will be able to see who is respected and who's a bit dodgy :)

It's always been my experience that things like this always turn out to be a popularity/pity contest. I haven't seen it yet here, but I'm sure at some point someone's going to complain about not getting applauded enough, or how mean people keep smiting them...

Can't really know a person by what others say, especially if you make no effort of your own to know the person yourself to see if the rumours are true or not, to see if maybe their negative reputation has more to do with personal differences than anything objective.

But that just might be me, since I tend to make wretched first impressions and make no effort to do anything about the lovely things being said about me.

I'm probally going to disable it, seems kind of useless at the moment, and peoples being applauded and smited for no reason at all. Not really much of a rep system eh?

I wish it could give descriptions as to why they were smited or aplauded, etc.. to make the counts more reliable.

Gosh, it reminds me of the benes system from the official BBS of the Sims 2. Evil, evil thing. Most people never gave benes to people who were actually helpful, but rather for their friends or people who agreed with them on some inane argument. It was also used as a bribe to get people to help them, or to lean their way in a debate. Icky.

VL, ur nto evil so imma applad u, k??/????/ :D:D:D:D:D

Eee, could your signature be any larger? ;)

What could probably be done is a little read-only, editable by staff only section of the forum where they can post reasons for people's reputation fluctuations (that rhymes! Name the section that ;D). That way the people who applaud/smite are still anonymous, but you still get reasons why. Of course, we would have to trust that the staff keep these people anonymous, since people who applaud/smite will have to send one of them a PM with the name of the member they applauded/smote and their reason for doing so. And, again, trust would have to be placed into the person doing the rating in that they would tell the truth for why they have done what they have done, and did not come up with a BS reason for adjusting a person's reputation for inane reasons.

It probably could be done privately, but since the reputation thing is public and this is about how people perceive them, it would be helpful to see why the person is being rated the way they are.

And this is assuming that a system similar to how warnings used to work can't be done (only you and the staff can see your warning level and your warning history with reasons).