Falling Skies (TV Series)

Koby

TNT's Falling Skies soared as cable TV's most-watched series debut of the year, attracting more than 5.9 million viewers, according to preliminary Nielsen data.

Of that total, Sunday night's two-hour kickoff starring Noah Wyle also grabbed 2.6 million-plus among 18-to-49-year-olds.

The Steven Spielberg-produced show, about the aftermath of an alien invasion that devastated much of the Earth, put up the best numbers for a scripted series debut since July 12, 2010, when TNT's Rizzoli & Isles snared an audience of 7.6 million.

Of course, in the wake of similarly alien-themed dramas like V and The Event crashing and burning, the question will be whether Falling Skies will plummet after its promising start.

Didn't really think much of the pilot to be honest, the effects looked okay.I though V was pretty good though...

Yeah I agree. Wasn't that impressed myself and I much preferred V too. :/ I only hope this can improve since unfortunately V was canned.

It is becoming a real shame that shows are just getting axed by studios too quickly nowadays. I wish there was a studio out there that would take certain shows off another studios hands and then put it on another channel to continue airing. Losing out on a lot of potentially good stuff with it mostly due to it being the studios fault, I'm talking to you FOX...

• 2 weeks later...

TNT has renewed Falling Skies, cable’s #1 new series, for a second season. The epic saga about the aftermath of an all-out invasion by an alien military force has been a tremendous hit both domestically and internationally. Falling Skies, which airs Sundays at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), stars Noah Wyle and comes to TNT from DreamWorks Television and executive producer Steven Spielberg. TNT has ordered 10 episodes for the second season, which is slated to air in summer 2012.

“Falling Skies is a true standout series, from its ambitious storytelling, high-profile cast and production team to its phenomenal success when it comes to international and time-shifted viewing,” said Michael Wright, executive vice president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “We’re reaching new audiences with Falling Skies and look forward to seeing where this fascinating and exciting series takes us next.”

Falling Skies takes place in the chaotic aftermath of an alien attack that has left most of the world completely incapacitated. Tom Mason (Wyle), a Boston history professor and the father of three sons, must put his extensive knowledge of military history to the test as second in command of a regiment of resistance fighters protecting a large group of civilian survivors. Falling Skies also stars Moon Bloodgood, Will Patton and Drew Roy.

Falling Skies premiered in the U.S. on TNT Sunday, June 19, drawing an extraordinary Live + 7 audience of 8 million viewers and ranking it as cable’s top series launch of 2011. The premiere also garnered an impressive 3.8 million adults 18-49 and 4.5 million adults 25-54. Through its first three installments, Falling Skies has averaged more than 6.4 million viewers through a blend of live and time-shifted viewing.

Falling Skies is quickly becoming a global television sensation. In the opening stages of its roll out in more than 75 international markets, it has already drawn strong – and in some cases record – audience deliveries for networks airing it in the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Venezuela.

In addition to Spielberg, the first season of Falling Skies has been executive-produced by DreamWorks Television heads Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank, Graham Yost and screenwriter Robert Rodat, who wrote the pilot from an idea he co-conceived with Spielberg. Mark Verheiden and Greg Beeman have served as co-executive producers.

LMAO! This gets renewed and V got canceled..wow. Better be worth it...

Yeah well so far I much preferred V as well.

I hope Falling Skies gets better. I was kind of shocked it got renewed much less this early and I didn't think ratings were that high.

• 4 months later...

I didn't think too highly of the first episode, but I suppose that was because I watched the SD version of it. I find it very hard to get into non-HD shows these days. That was only because I missed it on the HD channel and it was Free On Demand in SD. I watched the rest of the series in ace quality though, and the show definitely got better in later episodes. The ending seemed a bit abrupt, but I guess these days no one wants to invest in a long series. Guessing by the way it ended there might be a second season? No idea how it went ratings-wise overall though.

Good stuff. It only came on Foxtel in Australia a couple of months back. Always several+ months behind the US. >_@ I usually just download stuff if I don't want to wait so long, but I'm not too fussed. Season 4 of True Blood only ended a few weeks back if I recall which I was able to wait for (mostly because I wanted to re-watch season 3 on Blu-ray).

Anyhow, I suppose it's 'safer' for them to make short seasons these days...but 10 episodes is a tad cheap. At least with True Blood's 12 they are much longer than average episodes. Short-and-sweet is just an excuse; they just fear a 22-episode show will get axed too easily. More chances for low ratings? Can't really complain if it works out for them though, and in this case we'll get more Falling Skies.

• 8 months later...

Althoug this series came out in 2011 i wasn't much too eager to watch this one because "The Walking Dead" was enough for my post-apocalyptic Show need.

But after i bro recommended it to me i thought lets give it a shot, and i would have been a fool if i skipped watching this one.

You just need to watch 2 episodes if you are into Post-apocalyptic shows and i can guruantee you won't be disappointed.

• 2 months later...

I started watching this show recently. My brother tried watching the pilot when it aired, but said it was boring; I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I haven't finished the first season yet; I think I'm on episode 8? Anyway, it's pretty similar to the Walking Dead, only with aliens. I actually like it. The way the story evolves is very interesting; there are quite a few plot twists, that I, for one, didn't see coming at all.

And I've never seen V or The Event, so I don't know how it compares.