Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

My opinion on this is certain animes are fine in english but overall if america is too lazy to dub them correctly they shouldn't bother getting them at all or if anything sub them and air them that way kids can learn to read cause this country has been going downhill because there making it lazy for people i own the original Fist of the north star film that came out on dvd. Stuff like that is good dubbing but when i saw naruto and bleach in english i gaged at how bad it was naruto sounded nothing like he should have and alotta the characters sounded like they were being done by the same person. A GOOD modern anime that was dubbed recently i would say even though its a bit old now is Karas the movies those were done well trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star were all done well but now its like there not trying more or less caring so long as they put it out there. Sorry for ranting on but I can keep going on about this.

I used to hang around with a group of people who would plot my death whenever i mentioned preffering English Dub over sub-titles.

They said english dubbing was like desecrating a sacred temple. Personally I think you should watch whatever gives you the most enjoyment and people like this need to get a life.

Dubs for me. The english voice acting has really come a long way, and characters such as Ichigo (played by Jonny Young Bosch) is probably the best voice acting i have ever heard in an animated series. I just tend to get far more immersed in a story when i understand the language, and am not constantly flung out of it by pausing to read a subtitle.

I don't mind subs at all, but if i have the choice, definitely dubs.

I don't care either way, as long as it's done well.

I like Dubs because I can pay more attention to what's going on vs trying to read the subs, but it needs to be done well. Good voice acting (key word: acting, not just reading lines off the page), good dialogue, Not worrying about trying to fit all the mouth movements (too many "eh?"'s "Um"'s, "ahh!"s, and cramming a lot of fast, needless dialogue clumsily, into a scene) etc.

As far as subs, key point is to have them be GOOD translations. Not reading as if somebody ran text thru Google translate. I've seen great sub versions and I've seen lousy.

Either way I prefer translations to remain faithful, if not exactly as the source material, then at least to the spirit of it. Sometimes a litteral translation of dialogue reads/sounds terrible, and at that point I'd rather they rewrite it so it at least reads/sounds like real conversation.

The series in question has a big influence on this question for me. Sometimes the Japanese audio seems more appropriate, or sometimes some of the meaning or humour is lost in a dub (though that's moot if the subs are poor or inaccurate). Then there are occasions where the dub conveys the meaning of the text differently, or better, than the original. Obviously, cultural difference in jokes as well. And sometimes, dub VAs seem to make the characters their own, though that's subjective.

There's a large degree of subjectivity and relativity with this kind of question, so I don't want to commit to subs, dubs, or "both".

I definitely agree with the viewpoint that quality is more important than language. Some dubs are completely unwatchable compared to raws because of terrible grating voice work or a complete mangling of the original materials.... and the opposite sometimes is also be true.

For me, I really can't say there is a deciding factor on how it happens, but some anime I watch in dub and some in sub. I just sorta start watching it at random in one or the other and unless I hate it I normally wont switch from one to the other for that series because I get used to the voices.

I usually prefer japanese with subs because i love the intensity the japanese have when talking and it also makes me laugh but sometimes if the anime is mostly girl characters then the intense japanese chix can get annyoing but for the most part i like the japanese better but for some shows when the english dubs are done well like in cowboy bebop then i like the english dub better, bnut for some shows the english dub makes it sound to kidz style...

I'll probably never be able to pick just either one of them. Really, it depends so much on the show and how well it's done - and which one I'm introduced first to. I don't mind english dub in general at all: it feel lots nicer to hear everything in language you wholly understand. But really, it's more of the show and the characters: which one feels truer to me.

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer english dub because its just easy to understand and if i get an anime that is in japanese i delete it even if it has got subs. but the worst thing ever is a english dub with english subs that have different words. i once downloaded fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and it had the subs were english and it was also dubbed but the subs had different words. this was orite but then wheni start watching i start reading the subs(human nature) and i cant concentrate on the anime

Hi everyone, first post and I thought I'd add onto the poll here, Imo I prefer the English dub for most anime. Understanding it without reading subtitles for me is of great importance. Also the English dub can at times be far superior to the JP version. For example my favorite anime series, Those Who Hunt Elves, I couldn't imagine a better voice cast for an anime series and it still gets me in stitches when I watch it today.

I grew to like Japanese language, so now I think I watch more subs than dubs. With the exception like Clannad or Naruto where I just love dubs and would never transfer to subs, even though it would probably take at least 2 years for the dubs of Naruto to get to where the subs are now. v_v But I will persevere!

I prefer Subbed in shows such as Bleach where it is not as comical and I am not relying on voicing to enjoy the anime whereas Anime such as Naruto (the original) sucked in Japanese(IMO) because I could not enjoy the humor as much when reading the subs.

If you're both a good reader and a veteran with Subbed Anime, you will notice you kind-of look at the entire screen and take in the words written at the bottom without actually focusing on them. This sort-of makes an effect like you can understand japanese.....or something :D:D:D