Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

Here's my take on why dub is better than sub. This may not be for everyone, but I find myself less able to get comfortable watching subs since I have to constantly ready text as well as watching what takes place on the screen. It also gets on my nerves when I occasionally have to rewind a scene to reread a certain line of text I didn't catch the first time. At least with dub, I can rely on just my hearing for the audio so I can provide complete attention to what's actually happening in the scene. That being said, I would be lying if I said I was 100% content with every dub I heard. Especially with extremely adapted anime, I find myself liking the Japanese BGM over the English replacement BGM in most of these cases. It's becoming less common with anime nowadays, but still something I encounter on occasion. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2016 at 11:52 PM, Meowth said:

Especially with extremely adapted anime, I find myself liking the Japanese BGM over the English replacement BGM in most of these cases. It's becoming less common with anime nowadays, but still something I encounter on occasion. 

During the syndicated era for Pokemon, dub music and the original score were mixed in, which is an automatic win. For the most part, 4Kids knew how to place the BGMs in appropriate places, until they dubbed the Hoenn saga. For those episodes, it's almost as if they pulled each cue out of a hat and that's how they decided where to put the music. Total fail in my book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me Japanese version tends to be more expressive than English versions. Serious few English dubs are so sick. Death Note, Transformers, Full Mental Alchemist, Slam Dunk, Capeta. I watched both Japanese and English version of so many anime, personally I prefer watching it in Japanese even English version is available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it depends on the anime for me. There are dubs such as Yu Yu Hakusho which are excellent in their own right for their own interpretation as opposed to dubs just doing a good job of imitating the original. The funny thing is that subs can be interpretive in their own right as well. Steins;Gate's sub are full of nods to internet culture and leetspeak. Of course, I typically find dubs to be preferable over subs due to wanting to watch the action rather than multitask by reading and watching at the same time. Unless the dub is egregiously bad like Bleach or 4Kids's One Piece, then subs are probably the way I would go. Although given the length of those series, I would read the manga instead as I generally read manga instead.

• Like 1

I usually prefer the dub. Anime like Fairy tail are actually very well dubbed. For anime like one piece I started with the dub and once I ran out of episodes switched over to the sub. I can never go back to One piece dub the voices are ruined for me. :-(

Now I've run out of subs as well and have switched over to the manga. Happened with a lot of anime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dubs all the way for me I'm usually listening to the anime and doing other things so I can still follow along without watching them. And I mean dubs have come along way over the years the newer stuff you cant even tell it's been dubbed

4 minutes ago, ElementalCards said:

This always makes me laugh for some reason. If anime were created in the US, then this would make sense. (Maybe...)

That would certainly be the case. if a show was originally produced in English, such as I dunno, Dexter's Laboratory - any other show that does voice over work would be considered a dub. 

Reference: Wikipedia

Outside the film industry, the term "dubbing" most commonly refers to the replacement of the voices of the actors shown on the screen with those of different performers speaking another language, which is called "revoicing" in the film industry.

I know most people will hate my decision but it makes more sense when you know why I've chosen it.

I prefer English dub for one reason.

That reason is when I watch subtitles my brain is trying to understand what is being spoken to me and I get a migraine from it.

Now if I'm in a good mood and fully awake I won't have the issue as much. So during that time I take a chance at watching subtitle Anime that we'll never have an English dub for.

Dubs all the way, man. Understanding the content comes first, and frankly, subs (especially fansubs) do a sucky job at that. Admittedly, some anime are better in Japanese, but even then, since I don't actually know Japanese myself, it's meaningless if I don't know what the seiyus are babbling about without subs. 

Edited by Inverti

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer Dub on almost every anime (very few exceptions) and the main reason is cus i feel like the japanese actors "overact", and i feel like it sounds kinda fake. This might be because i dont understand the language, but when i watch japanese liveaction movies i also feel that the expressions the actors make are way overacted. Don't feel it sounds as natural as the english dubs (or atleast the english dub after about 1995ish). Exceptions from this so far: Kingdom (2012) cus the dub is horrible and Say I love you & Sunday without God cus the main caracter (voiced by the same actor in latter two) sound so frightened all the time. This is my opinion, please dont hate me :-)