Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

If you ever were to try watching an anime in Japanese and then switching to English (sometimes vice versa), you might see what I mean. The differences can be jarring. As an example, I originally watched Bleach in Japanese... watched a dubbed ep on TV and had to turn it off. The characters themselves felt entirely different to me. But I understand the not wanting to read it bit... to some extent. When I first started watching subbed anime, I was put-off by having to keep up with the text... I got used to it though. And now I've seen so much anime in Japanese that I can look away and still understand the majority of what they're saying.

I have seen parts of subbed anime and I know that the emotions are better... but I like to watch my stuff in English = I am English ^_^

Now we're gonna talk about our fav voice cast(dub or sub)

I know a lot of poeple hate naruto's english voice, but I think he sounds a lot similar to the japanese version.

I actually think I might agree with you on that. A lot of the Naruto voices sound similar *enough* to me. Although, as a side-note, I heard Kakashi's VA doing a voice over for a show on (I think it was teenage pregnancy? something like that). And I couldn't stop laughing. It's really hard for me to disassociate voices from characters I've become familiar with. I hear Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke) all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watch dubbed exclusively, and I don't mean to disparage subtitled in any way. It's just my preference. Why? English sounds sweeter to my ears; and since I speak English and can't see the need for ever learning Japanese, listening to English can only help my ability with language. Wait! But reading English subtitles would help too, wouldn't it? I'm never into reading lots of words.

As for Japanese dubbed, how am I supposed to "feel" anything as some claim they could when I don't know anything about their language? Do they pronounce the words clearly or correctly? Do they speak with any accent? How about the sentence structures? Any rhyme? Alliteration? etc. I've got no clue.

Edited by ounce

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I much prefer dubbed, if i have to i will watch it subbed but i will always pick an English dub if it is available. I can't really get into subbed Anime. I prefer to watch what is going on on my tv not read the subtitles.

I also can't put up with listening to Japanese for too long, there language is amazing but my brain can't handle listening to it for too long :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me, it totally depends on which anime for me!

Anything 4kids dubbed, you are better off watching the Japanese version! 4kids dubs make me cringe all the time.

One Piece doesn't really matter to me, since I find that FUNimation did a good job with the voice acting and ADR.

FMA and Brotherhood for me: Vic Mignogna did the best job on Ed I have ever heard!

Edited by SUPERFOX5